• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyebrowed Thrush in Norolk (1 Viewer)

Looking

Have any birders actually been looking for the reported Thrush during today, and what areas have they covered? Has anybody spoke to any locals about it?

Have any birders actually been looking for the reported Thrush during today, and what areas have they covered? Has anybody spoke to any locals about it?
Eddie and I spent all morning looking for the Eyebrowed Thrush AND I asked several local people who live along the seafront by the lighthouse. Eddie thought it was a hoax, but only came along to keep me happy! We walked all through Old Hunstanton golf course and toured round a few streets. Nothing at all. I asked 'Tillsmith' on twitter last night whereabouts on the golfcourse did his 2 friends see the bird and as I expected, he has not been able to answer this. If they HAD seen the bird, they would be able to describe the different areas of the golf course and pass on whereabouts it was. It also proves that 'Tillsmith' is probable not local and/or does not know Old Hunstanton golf course as I do!!!! You can't describe the finer detail of somewhere if you don't know the area! Whole day's birding to be written up on blog shortly.

Penny:girl:

Eddie and I spent all morning looking for the Eyebrowed Thrush AND I asked several local people who live along the seafront by the lighthouse. Eddie thought it was a hoax, but only came along to keep me happy! We walked all through Old Hunstanton golf course and toured round a few streets. Nothing at all. I asked 'Tillsmith' on twitter last night whereabouts on the golfcourse did his 2 friends see the bird and as I expected, he has not been able to answer this. If they HAD seen the bird, they would be able to describe the different areas of the golf course and pass on whereabouts it was. It also proves that 'Tillsmith' is probable not local and/or does not know Old Hunstanton golf course as I do!!!! You can't describe the finer detail of somewhere if you don't know the area! Whole day's birding to be written up on blog shortly.

Thanks for the update Penny. At least you tried, and hopefully had a good day.
Best wishes
Richard

Couple previous tweets FYI:

@BirdGuides 5 people have seen the bird.3 of them are birders including myself, and the owner and his wife.I am not Norfolk birder

@BirdGuides I come from Lincolnshire

Isn't Lincs home to the Short-toed Eagle hoaxer?

Just relaying info - I am not prejudging the record :t:

Cheers,

Jonny

John

Eeeer! Which course?

<snip> We walked all through Old Hunstanton golf course and toured round a few streets. Nothing at all. I asked 'Tillsmith' on twitter last night whereabouts on the golfcourse did his 2 friends see the bird and as I expected, he has not been able to answer this. If they HAD seen the bird, they would be able to describe the different areas of the golf course and pass on whereabouts it was. It also proves that 'Tillsmith' is probable not local and/or does not know Old Hunstanton golf course as I do!!!! You can't describe the finer detail of somewhere if you don't know the area! Whole day's birding to be written up on blog shortly. Penny:girl:

Hi Penny et al.
Just to take up a couple of points Penny made.

First one: Knowing a local golf course? - I used to live within walking distance of a course for 15 years and spent time on and near it as a kid. I have also played this course several times over the past 6 years but doubt very much Penny if I could give you a description of any particular hole, or the layout of the course for that matter.

Second: Where you at the right course today? - No offence ment but I remember an adjacent caravan site was mentioned in an earlier post. So wouldn't that be 'Heacham Manor' golf course just off the A149 near Redgate Hill? Not Old Hunstanton! As there's only wooden beach huts their.
I believe there used to be a 9 hole pitch and putt, near the light house but no caravans there either.

Anyone checked 'Heacham Manor'???

Last edited:
Just tweeted him and asked him exactly that? and also whereabouts on the course?

Don't expect I will get an answer tonight though and being as I am out tomorrow won't find out unless someone puts the answer on here as unable to view twitter on my phone for some reason.

Penny

Hi Penny,

Looks like our friend Till Smith has shut up shop on giving out any more clues:

TillSmith Till Smith
@PennyMJJ I'm a Lincolnshire birder.I just happen to know the owner of the garden very well.
9 hours ago »

TillSmith Till Smith
@ @PennyMJJ If you conact Norfolk birdline you will find out that my two friends sent a message informing that they had seen the EB Thrush.
9 hours ago »

TillSmith Till Smith
@ @PennyMJJ I didn't asked my friends what part of the golf course they saw the EB Thrush.Also i mentioned before i am not a Norfolk birder
9 hours ago »

It's a hoax!! The tweets to Penny were just to get comments on here, he hasn't replied to others who have tried to contact him on twitter. It's classic attention seeking, and it wont stop until everyone ignores him and he'll get bored and go away....

Update

Latest tweet from TillSmith to Bob Tag:-
"I am not bothered if birders don't believe the sightings of the thrush."
It will be interesting see if TillSmith submits the record for approval.
Richard

Update

Latest from TillSmith:-
"I would love to see other birders to get chance of seeing the bird. But the owner of the garden doesn't want any disturbance."

and "I have asked the owner twice for access. So far the bird hasn't been seen today. Could may have well disappeared. Last seen in garden Friday."

Could the colder weather have moved it on?

Richard

No Sign

TillSmith on twitter 3hrs ago:-
"No sign of the EB Thrush at all today. Looks as if it has gone. But it could be somewhere else in the area." Yawn! Yawn!

On twitter Bob Tag was asking which road was it in, so that right general area can be searched, seems TillSmith must have been answering that.

Golf course?

If it was in the lighthouse area and apparently seen on the golf course it makes you wonder if the sighting was on the pitch and putt course adajacent to the lighthouse. It all depends how you want to define golf course. Pitch and putt course is really a golf course in miniature.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back