• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Follow up testing Noctivid (1 Viewer)

I totally agree. Some difference - yes, but not a lot.

And with the 8x32 I can't see any meaningful difference at all, btw.

Hermann

I've still got my 8x32 Ultravid HD's, and if Leica comes out with an 8x32 version of the Noctivids, I probably won't buy it (assuming the same set of compromises they made in the 42mm, full size bins). I REALLY like the small size and light weight of the Ultravid HD 8x32's. I'm reasonably certain they are smaller and lighter than any of their major competitors. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

With the 42mm Noctivids, Leica has sacrificed a bit on size and weight in order to get some optical improvements compared with the previous model. I'm fine with that. The extra optical elements and the larger eye lens/more complex eyepiece don't come for free. In a full size bin that's just fine--at least I think it is. In a 32mm mid-size, I would not be OK. The current Ultravid model embodies, in my view, a better set of compromises for a mid-size binocular.

- Jared

I totally agree. Some difference - yes, but not a lot.

And with the 8x32 I can't see any meaningful difference at all, btw.

Hermann

Either way, in the 42mm it narrows the gap, whatever that gap is, between an HD+ and a Noctivid. Eagle has the 8x42 Noctivid in stock and ready to ship, I got all the way to the payment screen, and decided to wait. Sigh.

With Eagle's 30 day return policy, maybe I should just go for it. I'd probably keep them almost certainly.

Either way, in the 42mm it narrows the gap, whatever that gap is, between an HD+ and a Noctivid. Eagle has the 8x42 Noctivid in stock and ready to ship, I got all the way to the payment screen, and decided to wait. Sigh.

With Eagle's 30 day return policy, maybe I should just go for it. I'd probably keep them almost certainly.

Adorama has a new 8x42 in stock (best price in US) $2255 free shipping

http://www.adorama.com/lc842n.html

Plus they accept trades.

We pay top dollar for your equipment.

If you are ready to upgrade your system, or you have equipment that you would like to turn into cash, Adorama will happily email you a prepaid, insured UPS shipping label to send in your equipment at our expense. Expect one of our agents to contact you promptly once the evaluation has been completed with an honest and fair offer. If you accept the offer, the options are yours: a check in the mail, direct deposit, or you can immediately use the credit toward any purchase you would like to make.

If a deal is not made, we will return the merchandise to you, fully insured, at our expense.

Last edited:
Quite disappointed that this binocular isn't as instantly popular as Leica may of hoped for, the emperors new clothes come to mind, but i'm more than happy with my Ns...

I have had my 10x for more than a month now.I have used them evey day since then in all sorts of light conditions and weather,and a variety of habitats.They are the best birdwatching binoculars i have seen.I am an absolutly delighted owner.

Quite disappointed that this binocular isn't as instantly popular as Leica may of hoped for, the emperors new clothes come to mind, but i'm more than happy with my Ns...

Problem is...there is a LOT of really first rate completion out there....and most of it is for the same or lower price. If I were in the market for my FIRST "alpha" binocular I'd very likely give the Noctivid a try.

Problem is...there is a LOT of really first rate completion out there....and most of it is for the same or lower price. If I were in the market for my FIRST "alpha" binocular I'd very likely give the Noctivid a try.

Right! I was really wanting to buy the 8x42 Noctivid, but without knowing how much distance in image quality there is between it and my 8x42 UVHD Plus, I am sadly holding off.

If the difference between the Noctivid and UVHD+ is significant or dramatic I'm in, and from some of the posts you'd think it is at least significant. If the difference is mild or incremental I am not, and other posts seem to indicate a less dramatic improvement. Remembering that with the HD to the HD Plus, you didn't seem to gain much; maybe this is bigger.

I STUPIDLY sold my 7x42's thinking I had too much redundancy with the 8x42's and in anticipation of Leica announcing new alpha glass. Haven't had seller's remorse like this before.

P.S. Is Adorama reputable? They are advertising the 8x42 Noctivid's for under $2,300.

Last edited:

Some of the vendors in the US show it as back ordered, especially the 8X42. That indicates to me that Leica is not able to keep up with the demand, so maybe it is more popular then indicated on the Forum.

I think some of the negativity on the Forum is directed more at the over the top marketing hype from Leica at the introduction then it is at the binocular itself.

My view is I love the Zeiss SF so the Noctivid would have to be a noticeable improvement to get me to switch. Leica may have troubles getting current top tier owners to buy because the current offerings are so good. But like Chuck, I would sure have it on the list if I were in the market for a top tier model.

I think some of the negativity on the Forum is directed more at the over the top marketing hype from Leica at the introduction then it is at the binocular itself.

I think you`v summed it up perfectly Bruce, I could`nt find anything really wrong with the NV, its every bit a premium instrument, I just was`nt blown away, but honestly I guess it was never really going to eclipse the SF or SV.

Some of the vendors in the US show it as back ordered, especially the 8X42. That indicates to me that Leica is not able to keep up with the demand, so maybe it is more popular then indicated on the Forum.

Some vendors (BH maybe but others) go ahead and list the item when they're announced (or when they are told they have a shipment coming) but list them under "back-ordered" status to start with (rather than "unavailable" or "pre-order".) I know I've seen this with several kinds of gear across multiple hobbies. Still, the demand is likely very high for the NV.

It would be a 10X so it would have to beat out a 10X42 SV, 10X42HT, or a 10X42 FL. it's possible I guess...not likely IMO....

Not sure about that myself. I only had a chance to try a Noctivid (10x42) for half an hour or so, but my first impression was very good indeed. So good that I won't get anything else before I had a chance to do a direct comparison.

Hermann

If the difference between the Noctivid and UVHD+ is significant or dramatic I'm in, and from some of the posts you'd think it is at least significant. If the difference is mild or incremental I am not, and other posts seem to indicate a less dramatic improvement. Remembering that with the HD to the HD Plus, you didn't seem to gain much; maybe this is bigger.

The difference between the HD Plus and the Noctivid is much bigger than that between the HD and the HD Plus. That was pretty obvious in the half an hour or so I had a chance to try the Noctivid.

Hermann

The HD and HD + were two iterations of the same basic design, whereas the Noctivid is a new optical design entirely (for Leica, at least. I haven't tried to analyze the design in any detail from the cutaway images. Maybe Henry can chime in on this).

Like Herman, I have had only about a half an hour with a Noctivid and that was also the 10x42. My local shop has had that one 10x and one 8x pass through, and both were sold in a day or two. Now they are backordered, but I hope to at least see the next one that comes in.

Like I have said before, I was impressed, and thought it better than the 10x42 SF I compared it to. If I were ever to buy an expensive non-stablized binocular again, I would be tempted.

Kimmo

The difference between the HD Plus and the Noctivid is much bigger than that between the HD and the HD Plus. That was pretty obvious in the half an hour or so I had a chance to try the Noctivid.

Hermann

I agree Hermann. Nvid is up there with SF, HT and EL SV, SLC but they all have their different appeals and they all deserve an audition.

Lee

I agree Hermann. Nvid is up there with SF, HT and EL SV, SLC but they all have their different appeals and they all deserve an audition.

Lee

Interesting you add SLC in here with the likes of SF, SV and NVid. Is SLC really on this level? I looked through an SLC only once so I don't have any real experience with it. Just curious ... It's currently WAY cheaper than the rest and, if it's that good, then people should be looking at SLC first (if indeed it is the equal of the others).

If Nocti is a big step up from UVid+ then including SLC on the same level as noctivid means SLC is way better than Ultravid plus. I'm very skeptical SLC is somehow way better than Ultravid Plus. I would think they are on similar level of optical quality... both just a little better than Conquest. Not that it matters...I would never swap out my Ultravid + for any of the bins mentioned.
Based on user impressions here in BF I always thought of SLC as being almost the equivalent of an SV but not equal.

This year I had a few hours at a park with an SV 8x32 and thought it was a beast...I can see why people love the SV. I have always admired the look and ergonomics of the little SV.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back