• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (6 Viewers)

Cheers Kathy - I won't actually be staking any REAL cash on the gee-gees - as Basil Fawlty once recalled - 'That particular avenue of pleasure has been closed down!'
Well done on the eventing - tough discipline, indeed!

The divers watercolours are more than superb Tim!
The first hand observation is more than obvious in every brush stroke.
Master class!!

Paschalis

Cheltenham

Well done with Katchit Tim. :t:

Some good races, but none of my selections seemed to get going.

Time to retire as a tipster. :smoke:

See you around.

Barrie

I am glad to see you put in a diver that was dipping. I was hoping for that. And it looks wonderful.

I think you and I have been having the same experiences. My son was sick throughout the night(not much sleep for me either). He's home now and I have so much to do, but I think he'll be a good kid and watch crappy TV all day.

Have fun with the horseys. Don't know enough about it, but am glad you are having a good time with it.

The2.00 and my selection should have more than a ring of coincidence about it. For here we have a super opportunity for an each-way punt on Binocular (!), available at 8-1.
Result - Binocular 2nd (a winner at each way)

The 2.35 - 'The Arkle'
Quite a strong favourite, but there's excellent value to be had in the form of an Irish Raider Clopf - an each-way steal at 9-1.
Result - jockey jumped off the horse at the first fence!!!! (Damn fool!)

THE BIGGIE of the day - 3.15 - The Champion Hurdle.
"Catchit - trained by Alan King (who also trained Penzance) and ridden by Robert 'Chocolate' Thornton (who also rode Penzance) will simply scoot up the Cheltenham Hill to win going-away. The 10-1 looks decent each-way value to my old eyes."
Result - Katchit (sp) won at 10-1 !!!!!!!! (kerching!!!)

It will take so long for the bookies to count out the winnings that I'll just . . . concentrate on the 5.20 - The Fred Winter.
Here is my oustanding punt of the day in the shape of Ashkazar.
Result Ashkazar -2nd (bugger!)

All in all at level stakes - a winning day!!!! Well done all those who kept the faith.

Cheers Barrie - I think the soft ground did for all of your selections -Harchy never went a yard, really.

So folks, tune in tomorrow for Tim's Top Tips and Barrie's Best Bets.

Cheltenham Abandoned

Day 2 of the festival had been abandoned due to high winds.
It's a good job they don't try staging it in Orkney . . .

as horses for me are big animals whose fields I don't like to share (scary things up close!) I'll just say that those divers are a stunning piece of watercolour painting - gobsmackingly good, even the paint itself feels windswept.

wet & windy

as horses for me are big animals whose fields I don't like to share (scary things up close!).
Too true Nick - even though we've got a 17hh Clydesdale, when it comes to other horses I give them plenty of room!
Lille'un still off school so we did a bit of shorebird id from the conservatory - she's good with shelducks and great black backs and oiks and her redshank id is improving. Her drawings appear to be of a somewhat more exotic locale than the view I had - unless I'm really unobservant and missed the giraffe wandering by.

Attachments

• animals.jpg
    animals.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 106
  • gb.jpg
    gb.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 102
  • reds.jpg
    reds.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 110
Sorry to hear that Edie's still not feeling well, but, if she weren't off school, we wouldn't have been treated to those animal drawings. They really brought a smile to my face, absolutely brilliant! Especially the rhino and the slightly hairy elephant.

Your sketches are OK too ;)

Mike

unless I'm really unobservant and missed the giraffe wandering by

I can see how that could happen...

Keep those sketches of Edie's, Tim - one day when she's famous they'll be fighting over this page of her 'early' work... I really like the crocodile at the bottom...and the cow?? top centre - hope I have that one right Edie!!!

Thanks for sharing both your efforts.

Your own stuff is incredibly well observed and sketches excellent as usual.

Little-un beats you hands down for imagination and she has your observation skills with the fine hair on the elephant.
Must be warming up , up there too , to have them going by the window.
Great sketches from both of you.

. . .

A couple more from the afternoon and this old thing has been revisited. It's going on show tomorrow and I always thought it would have birds on it at some point. That point is now, so . . .

Attachments

• shel.jpg
    shel.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 89
  • shel2.jpg
    shel2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 97
  • cliff.jpg
    cliff.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 127
Tim
Like the painting and the birds give it a good sense of place in that you can almost hear those waves crashing and, dunno if its just me, but I like the way that all 3 'headlands' look like side-on faces, esp the nearest one which seems as if its looking out to the horizon...like I say, prob just me!!

Great painting Tim. I think the gulls have really added the sense of the wind into it. Love the waves at the foot of the cliff also.

Cheers,
Des.

Wind, waves, the cries of the gulls and a real sense of vertigo, perfect.

And, as always from you, the shelduck sketches are utterly masterful too.

Hope the little'un's feeling better.

Mike

. . .

Cheers - the painting was delivered to the gallery this morning, so we'll see what the viewing (and hopefully paying) public think.
And because of my 'professional' commitment, have had neither time nor chance to see the racecards or first 4 races from the festival, so just 2 races of interest today;

2:55 - Ryanair Chase - Winner will be Our Vic (Timmy has to get on the scoresheet soon)

3:30 - World Hurdle - is about as easy as they come for tipsters. Genuine 3 mile hurdlers who can combine speed, stmina and brilliant, fluent hurdling are are rare as the proverbial. Inglis Drever is the winner, no doubt.
BUT - because I love the sport - the selection is an each-way punt at 20-1 - Lough Derg!

Good luck.

just 2 races of interest today;

2:55 - Ryanair Chase - Winner will be Our Vic (Timmy has to get on the scoresheet soon) -
Result - Our Vic - won @ 4-1

3:30 - World Hurdle - Inglis Drever is the winner, no doubt.
Result - Inglis Drever - won @ 7-4
BUT - because I love the sport - the selection is an each-way punt at 20-1 - Lough Derg! (outrageous joke!)

Good luck.

Well done if you kept the faith.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back