• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (10 Viewers)

Tim, those gulls are...

Fantastic. I wish there was one of those bowing "I Am Not Worthy" smileys on here...

You're moving I see. Staying in Orkney or going elsewhere? Good luck, with the move.

Tim , fantastic sketches . Wouldn't expect anything else from your good self
though! I trust you and yours are staying in that glorious part of the world though?

Thanks for the good wishes - yes Orkney it is, I'm pleased to say. Viewing some houses (and some piles of rubble) tomorrow - fingers crossed.
Oh - nice offer though Beth - we'll be along for a look-see around lunchtime!

All I usually get from my conservatory is sparrows, starlings and collared doves!

Excellent work Tim and I too hope that you can find the ideal place for the family soon. I've been without a house whilst waiting for the deal to go through, and it's no fun I can tell you! Ten weeks staying with friends and relatives loses it's appeal after the first couple of days!

Mike

Ah well . . .

Having spent the day illustrating stuff and nonsense I was reminded that my pal, Dave from Windbreck, had picked up a 'conservatory casualty' - a cock blackbird. So what? ah, but it's ringed - so I collect it from, er, the pub (!) and make a couple of colour drawings from the poor thing. Ring retrieved and full state funeral tomorrow (least I can do as I've 'used' it).

Attachments

• BB.jpg
    BB.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 117
beautiful studies. A few years back I found a dead dunnock on my way to the pub, still very fresh and in perfect condition, I had to take it to the pub with me, one of my birdwatching mates got dumped by his girlfriend that evening, because she didn't feel comfortable with his weird friends that have dead birds in the same pockets as their beer money.

That reminds me of studies I made in the past Tim,
still lived in Greece where I tried to collect every bird-victim
could find on the streets, to sketch them!
Memories became alive! Thank you Tim!

Paschalis

one of my birdwatching mates got dumped by his girlfriend that evening, because she didn't feel comfortable with his weird friends that have dead birds in the same pockets as their beer money.

She'd have felt better if you'd kept it in the other pocket?

Lovely study, Tim.

beautiful studies. A few years back I found a dead dunnock on my way to the pub, still very fresh and in perfect condition, I had to take it to the pub with me, one of my birdwatching mates got dumped by his girlfriend that evening, because she didn't feel comfortable with his weird friends that have dead birds in the same pockets as their beer money.

Some women, they just don't understand. :-O :-O

:-O That's a great tale Nick :t:

I'm the complete opposite - I actually have a customer to our shop who brings me dead things that he's found whilst out walking his dogs. Last year he brought me the most adorable Pipistrelle Bat and I was oohing and aahing over it and trying to talk him into letting me keep it for sketching and to take to my local Natural History Society meeting that evening when I realised that I had a queue of people waiting to be served and from the looks on their faces I imagine they were trying to work out WHO was the most batty - me or the Pip! ;)

Brilliant sketch Tim :t: Love the way the plumage has picked up so many colours - it's SO real!!! o:)

A few from Easter Sunday

Blackbird drawing in Mother In Law's garden while waiting for kids to get ready. Shelduck, oystercatchers and redshank on the beach. Happy Easter.

Attachments

• bb.jpg
    bb.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 103
  • sk1.jpg
    sk1.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 94
  • sk2.jpg
    sk2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 2,820
  • sk3.jpg
    sk3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 83
  • sk4.jpg
    sk4.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 99
all excellent, but really, those head studies of the bh gulls is sublime, not a line too many describing the form perfectly.

Thanks Nick - the head studies are 'tidied up' re-draws from envelope sketches. I find it useful to make scrappy but useable drawings a bit more 'ordered' and pop them into the sketchbook. In fact, the blackbird sketches in my last post are done in the same way; the stapled sheet on the left was done on some Basildon Bond I nicked from M-I-L with a crappy hb pencil and the emergent drawings on right hand side are the reworked soft pencil sketches. (I've been reading a lot of Ennion lately!)
My personal favourite of the above offerings is the puddling black-headed gull. Insignificant but necessary - just as Sally describes me!!!!

mmmmmm ahhhhhhh I'm drooling.

good golly, Tim, I wish I had the time...wait, I do, right now, instead of being in front of the computer....see ya!

Bank Holiday doodles

In between the hail and horizontal snow showers we've had some brilliantly bright spells (b100dy freezing though) and after sawing enough firewood for the evening, managed a couple of drawings and a worked-up colour piece.

Attachments

• sk1.jpg
    sk1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 100
  • sk2.jpg
    sk2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 99
  • sk3.jpg
    sk3.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 94
  • sd.jpg
    sd.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 3,621
Last edited:
Hi Tim,

All the latest sketches are super, great to see them. Black headed studies are wonderful drawings and good enough to hang as they are for me...
The Shelduck colour study is just what bird art is all about for me. Adore it...

Not been active at all for two weeks at this end, two off my workmates are out with leg and foot injuries, so have been working all the hours under the sun over the past fortnight. Am heading to the far north though this weekend on a serious birding trip, number one target is Great Grey Owl, which I'm rather excited about seeing .(that's an understatement, I'd barter body parts to see one!) Prospects are good as I am travelling with some top swedish lads as well as a friend from Ireland who is coming over to try pin down the beast of his dreams! With Hawk Owl, Siberian Jay and god knows what else also highly possible it could be a lifetime birding highlight. Naturally the sketchbook and camera are joining me...

Only had time for a quick drop in now and again this weekend but I can see some wonderful stuff going on here, once I've picked my jaw up off the floor I'll leave a proper comment...

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back