• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GPO Passion ED 10 x 32 Review. (1 Viewer)

Am I right in recalling that the focus directions work in the opposite way to most optics such as Zeiss, Swarovski?

Hello Allen,
Yes that appears to be the case. Just checked the GPO 10x 32 against my Leica. To focus close up targets in the GPO, you rotate the wheel clockwise, and anti-clockwise for more distant targets. The Leica focus wheel behaves oppositely.

Best wishes,

Neil.

Thanks Neil. Wonder why some makes design the opposite way to 'normal' (albeit normal is only what I've always been used to although I'm sure every model I've had was the same). I briefly tried an SVBony which was also the opposite way...felt v wrong 🙂 but guess muscle memory eventually sets in.

Hi Allen, no bother.

I don't know why either. Interesting about the Svbony bino. I never noticed that. I guess I tend to take each bino at face value. and just get on with it. The focusers on the Sv202 models I've reviewed were really great; a bit stiff in some cases mind, but very smooth, completely backlash free and zero play. Quite remarkable in fact!

Merry Christmas!

Neil.

Last edited:
Good review....The GPO definitely has the ergonomics and feel of an alpha...they have done well there. I didn't have a 10x but a 8x32 and what you have in your review is one I could have written too. My only gripe...only gripe....was the play in the focus wheel. How was yours? I know this was/has been....but still now? ....a problem that GPO hadn't addressed. When I see the play that I had in the focus wheel, I can only assume it is going to get worse and not better. So, given that lovely pair of bins, how is the focus wheel play? How much? jim

Imans66, post 9,
The GPO Passion ED 8x32 we recently have investigated did not have any play in de focussing wheel when we investigated it and it stil does not have it after a few months of use. Perhaps your sample needs repair.
Gijs van Ginkel

Cheers for the feedback folks; much obliged!

The GPO Passion ED 10x 32 is a very sweet bino. I absolutely love its fit and feel and the optics are of very high quality. There is a tiny bit of play in the focuser; very similar in fact to the Leica Trinovid HD 8 x 32 I had a while back. I have learned to live with it though, and it has not deteriorated one iota since I did the review.

Incidentally, I am currently test-driving the GPO Passion ED 8 x 32(pic attached below) and I'm impressed by what I've seen so far! The focuser is tighter with absolutely no play in it. A real joy to use!

Will post the full review as soon as I'm done!

Kind regards,

Neil.

Attachments

• IMG_2355.jpg
    IMG_2355.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 37
Dipperdapper, post 13,
I find Lee a very nice fellow, but I did not refer to a GPO testreport on the WEB-site of House of Outdoor by Lee , but on a test report by me and my colleagues. That test report was focussed on 30/32 mm binoculars, new and old ones.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Kev_ski,

It's a great little performer; really enjoyed test driving it!

Gijs: many thanks for flagging up your test reports. They are a great resource for binocular enthusiasts.

I assume you're referring to this link:

Very good of your team to measure light transmission on the GPO. I note you got 88% at 500nm, but you have also quoted 90.2% at 500nm. Should that be 550nm? Also very good to learn that its transmission is fairly flat over a good chunk of the visual spectrum.

Keep up the good work!

Neil.

Dipperdapper post 16,
In the table I wrote for the GPO 8x32 88% transmission at 500 nm and 90,2% at 550 nm (I just checked 20 seconds ago and nobody changed it, so it still must be there).
Gijs van Ginkel

Sounds very tempting after reading your review. I’m looking for a second pair of compact binoculars for more casual birding and these sound perfect for that. I’m torn between Nikon monarch M7 , Hawke Frontier ED X or now these sexy beasts
Kev_ski, I bought the GPO's from Stealth Birding here in the UK and echo everything Neil said in his review. They are quite superb and the only question I have ever had about them is, 'how do they do it for the price?'

I bought the 8x32's as well but my wife has been so taken with them that she has taken them!

I have the Hawke Frontier ED X 10x42's as well and whilst they are excellent binoculars, they are gathering dust in the cupboard as the GPO's are better from an ergonomics perspective, brightness and optical quality.

It may be that the Nikon's or the Hawke's will suit you better, I do however highly recommend the GPO's, they are exceptionaly good with fantastic eyecups.

Kev_ski, I bought the GPO's from Stealth Birding here in the UK and echo everything Neil said in his review. They are quite superb and the only question I have ever had about them is, 'how do they do it for the price?'

I bought the 8x32's as well but my wife has been so taken with them that she has taken them!

I have the Hawke Frontier ED X 10x42's as well and whilst they are excellent binoculars, they are gathering dust in the cupboard as the GPO's are better from an ergonomics perspective, brightness and optical quality.

It may be that the Nikon's or the Hawke's will suit you better, I do however highly recommend the GPO's, they are exceptionaly good with fantastic eyecups.
Thank you, I will buy a pair once I’m back in Berlin as iv found a stock list there so I can try them out first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back