• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: GPO Passion 8 x 56. (1 Viewer)

Interesting -- thanks for posting. With those close-up pics I can now comfirm that this seems to be the exact same binocular as the Kite Cervus HD 8x56 that I own. Only that I don't see any false pupils or reflections in the ocular. But the rest looks exactly the same. Eyecups, inside of the tubes, coatings etc.
Too bad as I had assumed the Kite Cervus was "Made in Japan". I guess it isn't and I further would speculate that all the other mid-range AK-prism binos are from the same Chinese source, like the "Pirschler" models by DDoptics (I have the 15x56 and 10x45 -- both of these do show false pupils BTW). They are still quite good but my (also MiC) DDoptics "Nighteagle" is better -- no false pupils (thanks to SP-prisms), longer eye-relief, about the same amount of CA, sharper on axis and cheaper, as well as lighter but still with magnesium chassis and metal focus wheel.
I think I should reduce part of my collection.
I mean -- it is nice that Chinese optics got that good but my already growing suspicions I had before your review are now confirmed and they are actually MiC. I guess only the most expensive models by Kite and DDoptics are Made in Japan, like the Kite "Bonelli" and SHG line by DDoptics.
So much for the claim by DDoptics "most of our products are made in Japan" -- which translates to "one or two of our products are made in Japan, the rest is overpriced Chinese stuff you could get from Svbony for half the price."
Of course neither GPO nor Kite nor DDoptics mention "China" anywhere on their homepages. I wish they were more honest, like Maven for example who exactly name where each binocular comes from.
All those big talk about "developing in house", etc. is a bad joke.
Of course I should have suspected all that but hope dies last as they say. It's the same in other industries. Companies stretch the rules as far as they can. If they don't communicate clearly where something comes from -- just assume it's China. And if it's "Made in Germany" it's often just about "how much value is generated in Germany" -- which means, inspecting a China-made bino by a highly paid German worker will generate enough "value" to warrant "Made in Germany", unless there are other rules involved.
Now I wonder who actually makes those binos that seem to be the same from each supplier just with some slight cosmetic changes here and there.
Kunming Optical? Another of the dozens of Chinese suppliers?
And since there are a few others selling (or having sold) similar models, like the Bushnell Forge 8x56, Vixen New Foresta 8x56, etc. I am thinking those are also the same binos under different names.
So how much "better" would all those be compared to something like an 10x56 "Eyeskey" Captor ED or similar China-binos I wonder? For about a third of the price. Well, having German Headquarters for "development" and "quality control" (meaning -- "open Chinese cardboard box and check bino" -- if they even go that far) are expensive. They could as well just drop-ship the stuff.
Yeah of course an Eyeskey Captor ED has no AK-prisms but fact of the matter is that production tolerances got so good in recent years that it is nowadays actually more expensive to make a good Schmidt-Pechan-prism compared to an AK -- simply because you don't need the dielectric mirror coating.
Sorry for the rant. I very much appreciate your reviews, Neil. This one was just maybe too eye-opening for me.

Thanks for the feedback Binocollector: a very enlightening rant lol!

Interesting info on the Kite Cervus 8x 56: it does look uncannily similar at least from the pics of it on their website.

You're a mine of information!

Cheers,

Neil.

I can post some pics tomorrow of the Kite. Details are too similar to be a coincidence, down to the font used for the "8x56" on the focus wheel.

Interesting -- thanks for posting. With those close-up pics I can now comfirm that this seems to be the exact same binocular as the Kite Cervus HD 8x56 that I own. Only that I don't see any false pupils or reflections in the ocular. But the rest looks exactly the same. Eyecups, inside of the tubes, coatings etc.
Too bad as I had assumed the Kite Cervus was "Made in Japan". I guess it isn't and I further would speculate that all the other mid-range AK-prism binos are from the same Chinese source, like the "Pirschler" models by DDoptics (I have the 15x56 and 10x45 -- both of these do show false pupils BTW). They are still quite good but my (also MiC) DDoptics "Nighteagle" is better -- no false pupils (thanks to SP-prisms), longer eye-relief, about the same amount of CA, sharper on axis and cheaper, as well as lighter but still with magnesium chassis and metal focus wheel.
I think I should reduce part of my collection.
I mean -- it is nice that Chinese optics got that good but my already growing suspicions I had before your review are now confirmed and they are actually MiC. I guess only the most expensive models by Kite and DDoptics are Made in Japan, like the Kite "Bonelli" and SHG line by DDoptics.
So much for the claim by DDoptics "most of our products are made in Japan" -- which translates to "one or two of our products are made in Japan, the rest is overpriced Chinese stuff you could get from Svbony for half the price."
Of course neither GPO nor Kite nor DDoptics mention "China" anywhere on their homepages. I wish they were more honest, like Maven for example who exactly name where each binocular comes from.
All those big talk about "developing in house", etc. is a bad joke.
Of course I should have suspected all that but hope dies last as they say. It's the same in other industries. Companies stretch the rules as far as they can. If they don't communicate clearly where something comes from -- just assume it's China. And if it's "Made in Germany" it's often just about "how much value is generated in Germany" -- which means, inspecting a China-made bino by a highly paid German worker will generate enough "value" to warrant "Made in Germany", unless there are other rules involved.
Now I wonder who actually makes those binos that seem to be the same from each supplier just with some slight cosmetic changes here and there.
Kunming Optical? Another of the dozens of Chinese suppliers?
And since there are a few others selling (or having sold) similar models, like the Bushnell Forge 8x56, Vixen New Foresta 8x56, etc. I am thinking those are also the same binos under different names.
So how much "better" would all those be compared to something like an 10x56 "Eyeskey" Captor ED or similar China-binos I wonder? For about a third of the price. Well, having German Headquarters for "development" and "quality control" (meaning -- "open Chinese cardboard box and check bino" -- if they even go that far) are expensive. They could as well just drop-ship the stuff.
Yeah of course an Eyeskey Captor ED has no AK-prisms but fact of the matter is that production tolerances got so good in recent years that it is nowadays actually more expensive to make a good Schmidt-Pechan-prism compared to an AK -- simply because you don't need the dielectric mirror coating.
Sorry for the rant. I very much appreciate your reviews, Neil. This one was just maybe too eye-opening for me.

Intellego:

As promised I took a few pics of the Kite Cervus HD to show the similarities. To me they look almost identical except for the coatings on the ocular lenses.
And the false pupils seem to be present as well just very small. I took a pic of my vintage 7x50 "Safari" with AK-prisms and large false pupils but they are outside of the light cone.
Pinac writes "Japan" as place of origin but I think they are too similar. So either the GPO is also made in Japan or both are made in China. The price is also almost the same.
IMG_20220929_131752.jpgIMG_20220929_131719.jpgIMG_20220929_131709.jpgIMG_20220929_131620.jpgIMG_20220929_131608.jpgIMG_20220929_131528.jpgIMG_20220929_131455.jpgIMG_20220929_131406.jpgIMG_20220929_131341.jpgIMG_20220929_131207.jpg

And the false pupils of my Japanese "Safari".
IMG_20220929_132102.jpgIMG_20220929_132124.jpgIMG_20220929_132211.jpg

Last edited:
One thing just came to mind - it was this review by Pinac who made me think those are all Kamakura binos just as the DDoptics Pirschler, Vixen New Foresta 8x56, etc. But I'm really having doubts now.
On the other hand - despite endlessly searching aliexpress and Alibaba I didn't find any Chinese binoculars with AK-prisms offered for sale that look similar. But there definitely are some AK-equipped Chinese binos. The ones I found look similar to the AK binos from the 80s with external focusing like a porro.
confused

Good evening Philipp,

Apologies for my delay in getting back; busy day teaching.

The Kite Cervus looks a dead ringer to the GPO alright. Its specs and price also match it. I couldn't really be sure until I had a look through the instrument though. There's no thumb indents on the GPO, but I don't think that's a difficult thing to execute. I'm certain that the GPO is assembled in China. One other possibility is that a number of companies use the same basic optical design but add their own coatings. This would definitely account for performance differences even though the same optical designs are utilised eg glare suppression, contrast and colour tone etc.

The GPO is a very fine performer though and Steve at First Light Optics has allowed me to play with it for another month or so. It's a brilliant astronomy glass, so I'll be using it for that purpose as I don't do low light glassing.

Thanks for highlighting the Kite Cervus: I will have to take a note of it and factor it into my book chapter on low light binoculars.

With best wishes,

Neil.

Fantastic review Neil on an astonishingly good binocular. Again I took advantage of buying the identical Geco version off Steve at NatureQuest and am delighted with the clarity, the almost 3D effect and the low light performance. The AK prisms are superb and I have never had a pair of binoculars with them so it was a real shock when I unpacked and used them for the first time. They are heavy and not for prolonged use but the heft and the build quality are in a league above their price point and at the price I got them at, an optical steal!

I believe that GPO/Geco do state that the Passion HD/Gold models are made in Japan whilst the ED models are made in China. I have both the Chinese and the Japanese made binoculars and would be hard pressed to determine where they were made such is the high standard of manufacture.

Hi Pat,

Thank you!

That was a smart move.... good for you.

In terms of bang for buck, the GPO Passion 8 x 56 is a great bargain. I'm still amazed at its performance under a dark sky. Also very impressed with the build quality. All the GPO gear I've tested was exceptionally well built, with optics that match ergonomics.

Regards,

Neil.

Hello Granpoli,

The 8x 56 is an excellent glass for observing the night sky. I enjoyed it in the early winter of last year. Views of the Pleiades, Hyades and the glories of Orion and Gemini were spellbinding. Its large aperture and big exit pupil are capable of pulling in very faint stars. One dark evening, I enjoyed one of the best views of Collinder 70 I have personally experienced in a binocular with Orion's belt stars taking centre stage. A dazzlingly beautiful view!

It's also great at pulling in faint fuzzies: The Andromeda galaxy and its two satellites were also very memorable, as was the Double Cluster in Perseus. The 8 x 56 is fine for short hand-held excursions but you'll get a whole new level of performance when its mounted on a monopod. It was sad to see it go, but I was grateful to Steve at First Light Optics for allowing me to play with it longer than I usually get with review instruments.

Neil.

Interesting. Is there a tripod hole in the front axel as is normal, doesn’t obviously look like there is? Very interested to hear that it has a pretty flat field to near the edges, something that the Zeiss conquestis known to fall down on. Considering an 8x56, seems this one should be on the list?

Peter

Interesting. Is there a tripod hole in the front axel as is normal, doesn’t obviously look like there is? Very interested to hear that it has a pretty flat field to near the edges, something that the Zeiss conquestis known to fall down on. Considering an 8x56, seems this one should be on the list?

Peter
Hello Peter

Yes there is a removeable button on the front axis to mount a tripod adapter.

This is my GeCo 8x56 which is identical to the GPO version.

P7150057 1.jpg

I must admit that I much prefer a tripod adapter with the rubber band like my SW UTA rather than the screw in type.

Thanks. Another question, what’s the diameter of the eyepiece glass lenses and also the internal diameter of the raisable eyecup?

Thanks

Peter

What's the problem with false pupils?
I have them on the Zeiss 7x42FL.
The image quality is exceptional.
They sometimes can cause reflections or glare and unwanted effects when observing with glasses for instance.
BTW -- I need to update my above comment about the whole "Made in China" thing.
From all I could gather so far on the interwebs, those are indeed all made by Kamakura in their Chinese factory. So made by a Japanese company but in China.

What's the problem with false pupils?
I have them on the Zeiss 7x42FL.
The image quality is exceptional.

I am not sure what false pupil is. And did not think it is in any high quality binocular.
Visionking 5x25 has a cat eyed pupil beside the real one. I show a picture. I thought this is false pupil. You can see it at the left eyepiece.

Screenshot_20231120_115203_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back