• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with dating Zeiss 8x30B Oberkochens (1 Viewer)

mtbengel

United States
I just purchased a pair of Zeiss 8x30 B Oberkochen Serial #577531 in minty condition. I assume they are from the mid 1960s(?). Can someone help with dating them?

I spent a few hours comparing them to my Swarovski SLC 8x30WBs and was frankly shocked at how well they stood up to the more modern design and coatings. The Swarovski is definitely brighter with more color saturation as would be expected, but I can’t say that I found the old Zeiss lacking, the view is delightful. One is just as sharp as the other reading small text from a distance. I would have to say the the old Zeiss wins on perceived depth of field. The SLCs tend to flatten the image more (like a long telephoto). I also found it easier to acquire birds with the Zeiss which has a quicker focus (less than one turn lock to lock). The little Zeiss Porros also won on weight, my Swarovski weighted in at 20.2 oz vs. 17.8 oz for the Zeiss. This makes the little Zeiss my new choice for hiking. I had no idea a vintage pair of binoculars would be this good, especially since I only paid about $200 for all their minty goodness. Are they as good as a modern high end binocular, no. Are they surprisingly delightful for their age, absolutely!

Attachments

• B24FC4E1-E55A-441E-A4F4-67DDAFC4BB04.jpeg
    B24FC4E1-E55A-441E-A4F4-67DDAFC4BB04.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • 365655ED-FA46-4C19-9852-26FE1F8097FD.jpeg
    365655ED-FA46-4C19-9852-26FE1F8097FD.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 13344A73-EC88-40F0-BCC8-4E764B1E0E96.jpeg
    13344A73-EC88-40F0-BCC8-4E764B1E0E96.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Hi, your 8x30B was manufactured in 1967.

Gary
Gary - I see you are a binocular engineer…. I’m curious, would the greater perceived depth of field/3D effect with these little Zeiss porros as compared to the SLCs be due to the wider distance between the objectives?

Depth of field, no... but you'll enjoy searching this forum for many past threads involving "3D", "stereoscopy" etc. (And if you still feel confused you won't be alone.)

Congratulations on your new acquisition - exterior condition looks great, and you would have noticed any haze etc (which can be an issue with these) when you compared them against your SLC. I had a SLC 8x30 mark II and still have the non-B version of the Zeiss West 8x30 - the SLC had the modern improvements and was objectively better, but there was/is much to love about the old Zeiss - it's so light that it often doesn't feel I am carrying or holding a binocular, and so compact that I had to be a little careful not to drop my little finger into my field of view, not to mention beautifully made - the finesse of its workmanship apparent every time you handle it. I agree that the best that Zeiss could do in 1967 can still impress. May it give you many more decades of enjoyment.

Thanks - You obviously feel the same about your 8x30’s as I do mine. I just sent mine off to Zeiss for internal cleaning as I figured there might yet be some improvement to be found. I was happily surprised that they would still do this (as long as no parts required). I will admit that I also love antique cars, antique boats, and a vintage airplanes to boot. It’s always fun to relive yesteryear, especially when you find something that isn’t that far off the mark by todays standards.

Just bought a like new pair just like yours for $175. Serial number in the 509326.
Was told the year of manufacture was 1967.
Am curious, what did Zeiss charge you for the cleaning?

I have an addiction to the good porro prisms.
My favorite to date is the Swift 8.5x44 820ED. Incredible optics for $450..
Second is Bushnell Custom 7x35 made in 1977.
Can't wait to try out the Zeiss.

Aside for the more efficient optic performance per dollar, what I love about porros is their depth of field.
I think it is more than just the distance between objective lenses. There's something to the porro light path that just
gives the depth to the view that's better than the roof prisms.

Just bought a like new pair just like yours for $175. Serial number in the 509326.

Aside for the more efficient optic performance per dollar, what I love about porros is their depth of field.
I think it is more than just the distance between objective lenses. There's something to the porro light path that just
Enjoy your porros, they sound like a bargain at $175.

Depth of field is governed by magnification. Magnification also governs the extent of the compression of the image (how close two objects, one behind the other, appear to be to each other) which is quite different from the depth of the view that is sharp.
The distance between the objectives affects the '3D' effect of the image.

Lee

I haven’t gotten them back yet so I don’t know, but the representative I spoke to before sending them in said he never saw them charge more than $150 or so for a cleaning, so I am expecting a charge.

PS: I made the same mistake on depth of field, how ever you say it, the little porro’s do seem to give more of a 3D effect.

Sorry for the very delayed response. Zeiss charged nothing for the cleaning, it doesn’t get any better than that! I was delighted, if not floored, when I looked thru them after they were cleaned. How can a 56 year old pair of binoculars be this good? I still use them regularly for hiking due to their small size and light weight. I also like the retro look.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back