• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here are the new Victorys: Victory HT (2 Viewers)

So apparently Zeiss has fixed one of the design flaws on the focuser.

Thank you for your inquiry to Carl Zeiss.

In the meantime, the issue of the stucking focusing wheel could be fixed by a mechanical design change.
Please send us your binoculars as soon as convenient for you, and we’ll fix this issue by retrofitting the new focus.

In the meantime, the issue of the stucking focusing wheel could be fixed by a mechanical design change.
Please send us your binoculars as soon as convenient for you, and we’ll fix this issue by retrofitting the new focus.

Joe, is that spelt correctly ** ?!! :eek!: :-O

Chosun :gh:

Joe, is that spelt correctly ** ?!! :eek!: :-O

It is a Zeiss email that I copied from. If you have an issue with it you should email them about it. Anyway English is not their first language , so I would cut them a break

Last edited:
It is Zeiss email that I copied from. If you have an issue with it you should email them about it. Anyway English is not their first language , so I would cut them a break

Joe, I know! .... I was just being a bit cheeky suggesting that it could be a misspelt expletive knowing the wringer you've been through with the issues with your unit! 3:)

Great News Joe :king:
Please tell us what the focus feels like when you receive them back from Zeiss.
I wonder if these new components have any relationship with those in the new SF?

Lee

Sure glad I have spell check with Chosun lurking around. :gh: :t:
BTW, my spell check says "Chosun" is misspelled. |:D|
Good to know Zeiss is fixing the focus wheel issue. :t:

So Zeiss said they have not fixed the play issue with the focuser

Dear Felgenhauer,
Thank you for the response. I have another question, has the new design change fixed the play in the focuser too ?
Joseph

Dear Joseph,

No, this could not be changed, but is as small as it was.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards,

K l a u s F e l g e n h a u e r

Now the question is should i send it in now to fix the sticking issue or wait for a solution for both issues ?
It costs me about 200+ dollars everytime I send it back to Zeiss Germany.

So Zeiss said they have not fixed the play issue with the focuser

Dear Felgenhauer,
Thank you for the response. I have another question, has the new design change fixed the play in the focuser too ?
Joseph

Dear Joseph,

No, this could not be changed, but is as small as it was.

Now the question is should i send it in now to fix the sticking issue or wait for a solution for both issues ?
It costs me about 200+ dollars everytime I send it back to Zeiss Germany.

They are probably not going to fix the play issue according to the email.

Dear Joseph,

Frankly speaking, I don’t see a chance for additional significant improvements of the focus drive. On the one hand, it is pretty good as it is today, and on the other hand, the available space doesn’t allow big changes. So, if it was me, I’d get the latest version and would be pretty happy with it, knowing that it will last for many years.

I Think they are asking me to be happy with the small amount of play.

I recently bought a new Zeiss 8x42 HT, and would like to thank all the contributers to this thread who helped me make the decision to buy these bins, especially Mike Penfold and James Holdsworth for their excellent reviews.

I am really pleased with my purchase, I was indecided whether to go with Swarovski, but after having the opportunity to compare different binoculars at the excellent Focus Optics near Coventry, the Zeiss was the clear winner for me.

I have been a Porro birder for years, originally with a Swift Audubon 804, and recently a Nikon 8x30 E11. I will never part with either of these bins as they are both very good, but recently the lack of waterproofing has become an issue for me.

I thought that when I changed to a roof I would miss the superb wide view of the E11, but the Zeiss really has a good FOV and is an absolute delight to use. Everything already stated is true, and the first view through an HT is memorable. I honestly think it is the best binocular for wildlife watching under all conditions that money can buy.

The new Zeiss SF also looks like it should be a winner, but it is quite a bit more expensive than a HT, and I'm not sure if it will be that much better. It will be interesting to read the reviews when they start coming in.

Sandy

I recently bought a new Zeiss 8x42 HT, and would like to thank all the contributers to this thread who helped me make the decision to buy these bins, especially Mike Penfold and James Holdsworth for their excellent reviews.

I am really pleased with my purchase, I was indecided whether to go with Swarovski, but after having the opportunity to compare different binoculars at the excellent Focus Optics near Coventry, the Zeiss was the clear winner for me.

I have been a Porro birder for years, originally with a Swift Audubon 804, and recently a Nikon 8x30 E11. I will never part with either of these bins as they are both very good, but recently the lack of waterproofing has become an issue for me.

I thought that when I changed to a roof I would miss the superb wide view of the E11, but the Zeiss really has a good FOV and is an absolute delight to use. Everything already stated is true, and the first view through an HT is memorable. I honestly think it is the best binocular for wildlife watching under all conditions that money can buy.

The new Zeiss SF also looks like it should be a winner, but it is quite a bit more expensive than a HT, and I'm not sure if it will be that much better. It will be interesting to read the reviews when they start coming in.

Sandy

Sandy

I am a huge fan of my HT and consider it the best pair of bins I have ever had.

Having tried SF I can say that HT can hold its head up alongside it and which you think is best for you is down to personal preference for different features.

The field of view of SF 8x42 is way bigger than my HT and the closer focus distance is closer. If these features are important to you then you owe it to yourself to try out SF.

Handling is a big part of SF's character but in my view it is also one of HT's strong points and in fact I think it is as important as its optical strengths.

In the meantime enjoy your HT.

Lee

Lee, the view through the HT is v-e-r-y nice, for the sweet spot and field that it has.

BUT. :eek!:

To me, the handling is it's worst part .... not a patch on the Zen-Ray ED3 I'm afraid ............. :cat:

To each their own - I'm sure I could adapt, IF, one happened to lob in my hot little hands (hullooo .... are you listening Mr. Zeiss? :)

Enjoy your fine glass Sandy :t:

Hi Chosun, I was wondering what handling problem you had with the Zeiss HT? With a wt. of 27oz. it is not light wt. for sure.

I had use of the Zen-Ray 7x43 ED3 and had to add this to it to even use W/O glasses.

I too find the HT's view absolutely stellar, but also don't like its ergonomics.

However, I've had muscle memory trained differently by a different binocular, so undoubtedly I could change how I feel about their handling characteristics given time.

Will say though, I think the finish on the metal bridge looks cheap. Kind of surprised Zeiss couldn't come up with something more elegant/finished looking given its cost.

Looks like a cheap spray-paint finish...

Hi Chosun, I was wondering what handling problem you had with the Zeiss HT? With a wt. of 27oz. it is not light wt. for sure.

I had use of the Zen-Ray 7x43 ED3 and had to add this to it to even use W/O glasses.

Steve, I verily love the handling of the 8x43 ED3. Nice wings! I always have eyecups screwed all the way in, and can nearly get the whole FOV with my glasses on.

That long, large diameter knurled metal focusing wheel is the duck's n*ts.
This focus wheel (and only the focus wheel) should be a compulsory template for all other bins, IMNTHO!
Perfect for placing both forefingers on in a push-pull arrangement. I place my middle fingers on the wide, fat bridge (another +), and brace the ring fingers up against that along with the pinkies around the barrels in the open bridge part. My thumbs rest under each opposing barrel in the indents.
I do have large hands (father always said I had hands like a sailor! :)
But I find that grip ultra stable, comfortable and well balanced.

The HT in comparison, lobs the focus wheel smack bang on my middle fingers (which I find initially disconcerting), when I just pick the bin up without too much thought, but a natural sense to seek out the instinctive balance point. My hands are also much further away from my shoulders (which thanks to a run in with gravity are not that crash hot - infact, there mostly just crash ..... damaged!). So that increased distance, also increases the moment of force. If I was to position my hands further forward, so that I could focus with the forefingers, it would be further, increased again ..... so quickly fatiguing for me, and not so stable.

I love the view, and could even think not too much about the soft edges, but I just don't naturally take to the feel of it - it's no lightweight either (it's actually on the wrong side of 29oz). :eek!:

I too find the HT's view absolutely stellar, but also don't like its ergonomics.

However, I've had muscle memory trained differently by a different binocular, so undoubtedly I could change how I feel about their handling characteristics given time.

Will say though, I think the finish on the metal bridge looks cheap. Kind of surprised Zeiss couldn't come up with something more elegant/finished looking given its cost.

Looks like a cheap spray-paint finish...
Me too Mac. Though I'm a . l-i-t-t-l-e . d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t . ----
"undoubtedly I could change how I feel about their handling characteristics given" ...... One !! 3:)

As to the HTs, I wrote last April about them being second (to me) to the Leicas. I bought the Leicas but am still NOT SURE that I don't have some remorse over not getting the HT! The focus on the HT was THE BOMB.

I can only wait for some hands on time with the SF...

Might be trade up time if the image isn't overly "cool" or "blue"... :t:

Steve, I verily love the handling of the 8x43 ED3. Nice wings! I always have eyecups screwed all the way in, and can nearly get the whole FOV with my glasses on.

That long, large diameter knurled metal focusing wheel is the duck's n*ts.
This focus wheel (and only the focus wheel) should be a compulsory template for all other bins, IMNTHO!
Perfect for placing both forefingers on in a push-pull arrangement. I place my middle fingers on the wide, fat bridge (another +), and brace the ring fingers up against that along with the pinkies around the barrels in the open bridge part. My thumbs rest under each opposing barrel in the indents.
I do have large hands (father always said I had hands like a sailor! :)
But I find that grip ultra stable, comfortable and well balanced.

The HT in comparison, lobs the focus wheel smack bang on my middle fingers (which I find initially disconcerting), when I just pick the bin up without too much thought, but a natural sense to seek out the instinctive balance point. My hands are also much further away from my shoulders (which thanks to a run in with gravity are not that crash hot - infact, there mostly just crash ..... damaged!). So that increased distance, also increases the moment of force. If I was to position my hands further forward, so that I could focus with the forefingers, it would be further, increased again ..... so quickly fatiguing for me, and not so stable.

I love the view, and could even think not too much about the soft edges, but I just don't naturally take to the feel of it - it's no lightweight either (it's actually on the wrong side of 29oz). :eek!:

Me too Mac. Though I'm a . l-i-t-t-l-e . d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-t . ----
"undoubtedly I could change how I feel about their handling characteristics given" ...... One !! 3:)

Chosun:

You may find it a surprise, but I agree with you about the handling about
the Victory HT. The first time I was able to find one in a store was back
in August, and I reported the very same thing. The focuser is placed much
lower than any other binocular I have handled. Awkward, and so which
finger do you use? I made a post about this on the Zeiss thread,"Advice needed, Victory HT or SF", #95.
Another reminder to try before you buy.

Here is a photo of a comparison, used without permission from binomania, of the HT 8x42 with the 8.5x42 Swaro. EL Swarovision.
There is a full finger of difference when focusing.

Jerry

Attachments

• Zeiss_HT_8x42_15.jpg
    Zeiss_HT_8x42_15.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 167
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back