• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (1 Viewer)

Just put in an order for it...looking forward to seeing what taxonomic changes they are supporting, since even the preview pages suggest some interesting splits/taxonomy compared the the two volumes of the original series I own.

Based on the sample pages they do take a splitty approach, but taxonomy is still looking very inconsistent regarding ungulates.

Do you have the entire series? I don't, but I imagine if I did the book would be less appealing.

Going from my situation regarding the HBW series: I have all the HBW and HMW volumes, but for birds, it's mostly the Illustrated Checklist volumes I consult.

I have all volumes of the HMW and I'm pretty satisfied. In particular due to the fact that there are only few alternatives on the mammal book market (e.g. Mammals of South America or Kingdon's Mammals of Africa). Ron Nowak's Walker's Mammals of the World would have been another alternative but unfortunately Nowak decided to publish only one follow up to the series which only covers some groups of mammals. According to ungulates I am eagerly awaiting Mammals of South America vol. 3.

Last edited:
What do you all think about the possibility of an ‘All the Mammals of the World’ coming out someday? I am very interested in this Illustrated Checklist of Mammals but have yet to preorder. I did preorder the new ‘All the Birds of the World’ however. I do wonder how the two series differ; why does the Illustrated Checklists cover two volumes versus one? It doesn’t look like there is more text. I really like the ‘ All the Birds...’ use of lines delineating species and genera, english names with the illustrations instead of numbers, and range maps with county boundaries, all lacking in the illustrated checklists.

The fact, that they included the new Colocolo splits in the Mammal Checklist, coming to say, that the 2 volumes will cover all the latest splits, justified or not. All the Mammals of the World will probably come out in 2 years and besides the one volume approach will include bunch of new splits too. I have full HMW and HBW sets + the HBW Checklists and, in a sake of completeness, pre-ordered the new All the Birds of the World and Illustrated Checklist of Mammals. Lynx creators dedicated their lives to those projects and I wouldn't be surprised, if they even publish new upgraded editions in 10-15 years, like Encyclopedia Britanica used to do. This unprecedented series, elevated the popular science, wildlife photography and the illustration techniques to a new skies and I don't think, they will stop here.

Last edited:
Hi! The Illustrated Checklist seems very amazing, and I have just ordered it. But seeing some of the samples plates, do you think that recently extinct mammals would be illustrated or just listed? Because for example, in the sample page of bats, the Lesser Mascarene Flying Fox seems to lack an illustration. I'm kind of worried about it, and was hoping to see illustrations for Steller's Sea Cow or Aurochs, but now I'm not sure if it's going to be the case anymore...
How it were for the recently extinct birds in their illustrated checklist as a way of comparison?

I hope Lynx edicions will publish a new book on bats. The number of known bat species is increasing so fast that the new descriptions will never met the deadline for including in a Handbook of the Mammals of the World book in time. Ara Monadjem was very busy in describing new bats this year. But I think the new species from the past weeks will be not include in the HMW illustrated checklist.

I hope Lynx edicions will publish a new book on bats. The number of known bat species is increasing so fast that the new descriptions will never met the deadline for including in a Handbook of the Mammals of the World book in time. Ara Monadjem was very busy in describing new bats this year. But I think the new species from the past weeks will be not include in the HMW illustrated checklist.

Desriptions are largely redundant in some Bat groups which require in-hand examination of dentition.

Illustrated Mammal Checklist apparently out now

Looking at the Lynx website, I conclude that the two-volume checklist is now available. So I just hope to get it soon, as the preview pages look really promising!

I'm sure this set will become my main set of references regarding world mammals, just like it has become regarding birds. (Despite the fact that I own complete sets of both original multi-volume publications.)

Last edited:
I hope they would add drawings like tooth pattern to more specific guides. Also, footprints of larger mammals would be very handy!

It would be very bad if LYNX went for reselling the material from HMW with minimum new input.

Just taken delivery of All the Birds of the World, and Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World. Hope they were worth the wait, but they were discounted and post-free!

Got mine. Much better primate illustrations on the whole, just a few genera with identikit postures. No illustrations for extinct or domestic species, and Homo sapiens not included (self domesticated?)

still awaiting publication. Wonder if they are putting off the overseas orders until after the European preorders are dealt with?

still awaiting publication. Wonder if they are putting off the overseas orders until after the European preorders are dealt with?

I have received notification that mine have shipped. It is being sent to Barbados so they warned it would normally take up to two months. In COVID-19 times, who knows how long it is going to take.

Niels

How do they treat the extinct Tiger subspecies (Javan Tiger, Bali Tiger). Do they have their own entry or are they subsumed under Tiger?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back