• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How much to ask? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Groocock

I want to upgrade my camera lens from a Sigma 170 -500 to a Canon 100 - 400 or 400 prime. Problem is budget. I need to sell my Sigma to offset the purchase of a Canon. Can anyone advise if there is a reference guide to price second hand equipment (similar to the Parkers Guide for cars)? For those who have sold equipment before, how are you setting your asking price?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Often the best way to work out a price is to have a look what dealers are selling the lens for used (check places like mifsuds, ffordes and mpb), as a private seller you'll have to charge a bit less than a dealer. Also have a look for sold items on here and on ebay to see what they tend to go for.

Here's a useful site that I stumbled across recently, and bookmarked for reference:

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/lenses/?lens=255

For pretty much any lens you care to name, you can:
- view a bunch of Flickr images to see what it can do
- view all current Ebay auctions
- view historic Ebay selling prices

I believe you can also subscribe to get alerts when your lens of choice appears in a new Ebay auction, though can't find where at the moment!

Anyway, this suggests that your 170-500 has been selling for between £250 and £300 on Ebay over the last year. Not sure where that means you should pitch it, but it gives an indication of what you might expect to get!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back