• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I broke my SF so you don't have to... (1 Viewer)

Hi guys and gals!

Zeiss wanted to underline that this case is sui generis, and that the decision to replace my binocular is NOT a precedent for the treatment of similar damage experienced by other customers under similar circumstances in the future.

So, people: be careful not to drop your SFs in the future! ;)

Anyway, I'm happy this worked out allright! Thanks a lot Zeiss! :-O

So I will go out, buy a pair of HT and drop it...... ;)

Hi Everyone!

Today, I got my brand new SF replacement from Zeiss! I'll post a more in-depth field test later, but suffice to say that the focuser seems better this time around, while the optical quality is nothing less than superb (possibly even better than the first sample I got)!

The bin fits perfectly in the cordura case for the FL 8x42, even with the eyecups turned up, so now you know what to get if you want another suitable case for your SF!

Zeiss actually sent me a new set of accessories, so I now have two of everything: from the lacklustre ocular covers to the horrible field case! ;)

Anyways; thanks Zeiss for a prompt and satisfactory solution to my predicament! :t:

Hi Everyone!

Today, I got my brand new SF replacement from Zeiss!

Anyways; thanks Zeiss for a prompt and satisfactory solution to my predicament! :t:

HN

Congratulations, enjoy in good health.

Let us know what your new SF is like when birding with it.

Lee

Hello high north, i too found the zeiss 8x42 fl case ok for the s f, fortunately i already had one, i used it to hold a 8x32 nikon edg ,until it was sold on.I had to extend the fastening strap to its full extent but it still leaves a tiny gap at the top when the eye cups are fully extended ,which is how i use them. Its still good, and much better than the ghastly original.The focuser on mine has really improved with about 5 weeks use and is now buttery smooth with that dry squeaky sound almost gone.I also think its a truly fabulous optical instrument.I did a short review on another thread.Being a fan - collector of binoculars from the era of wide angles I can truly appreciate its immersive view.It gives the same impression as my 7x35 Rangemaster and swift vulcan 7x35 both 70 a.p.o.v. oh and of course also my nikon E11.I cant bring myself to use anything else at the min.Good luck with it and a great result from zeiss on your little incident.p.s. i would also be interested in alternative objective covers, let us know how you get on with the search.

Last edited:
I also dont use the original strap, far to flimsy .I use an ex military strap that came of a case that contained a night vision thingy,it has metal spring hooks almost the same as you'rs.Pity the case itself was just a bit short or i would have used that too.

Hi HighNorth.
Fitted carpets might be useful also, with a good quality rubber underlay. Not usual in Norway, but most have them here.

Hi HighNorth.
Fitted carpets might be useful also, with a good quality rubber underlay. Not usual in Norway, but most have them here.

Thanks for the suggestion Binastro, but I'm a dust mite allergic, and fitted carpets breed those things (mite) like horny rabbits! :smoke:

Hi HighNorth.
Same here. I take Zirtek. But at least the binoculars bounce on the carpet.
Perhaps rubber armour should be crazy rubber, near 100% bounce.

Hi Everyone!

Today, I got my brand new SF replacement from Zeiss! I'll post a more in-depth field test later, but suffice to say that the focuser seems better this time around, while the optical quality is nothing less than superb (possibly even better than the first sample I got)!

The bin fits perfectly in the cordura case for the FL 8x42, even with the eyecups turned up, so now you know what to get if you want another suitable case for your SF!

Zeiss actually sent me a new set of accessories, so I now have two of everything: from the lacklustre ocular covers to the horrible field case! ;)

good to hear that you got the replacement, just in time for the bird season,
and also that the focuser feels better,

:t:

When the wind blew over tripod taking my scope with it, breaking off the mounting bracket and scratching the lens Swarvaski fixed it free of charge,i told them the truth and it was second hand! be interesting to see what Zeiss do in this case as i have their Bins!

cheers

I had the same happening to me decades ago in Israel with the Leica Televid 77 that the wind really banged on the rocks of Masada. Leica fixed it perfectly, but I had to pay for this. Fortunately though, there was no damage done to the optics.

Regarding HN's SF though, I think the casting was definitely faulty. To me, the third picture looks conclusive in its high resolution version. At least, if that's a normal cast, one should shy away from SF models. Light weight construction is great, but it does not leave much leeway for imperfections in the casting. Zeiss might make up for such potential problems if they'd offer a no-fault warranty for a certain time at least. Sure, that would increase the basic price a bit, but peace of mind is worth something as well. And I mean peace of mind for both customers and manufacturers. Such an incident as we have been discussing here is something any manufacturer will want to avoid.

Last edited:
Hello HighNorth. Hope all is going well with the new SF. Now that you have had a little bit of time to use the replacement, I am curious if you noticed any differences between the first one and this one.

Thanks.

Hi Bruce!

I don't really notice much difference between my old and my new sample.

The focuser on the new one seems slightly easier to turn, but I can still get it to tighten up a bit if I rack it back and forth across the whole focus range. This is not an issue during normal operation though.

In my old sample, I could sometimes get a tiny bit of glare in the bottom of the field of view when looking towards the sun, which I haven't been able to reproduce in my new sample. It could be due to sample variation, but most likely it is due to the lighting conditions now being very different than three months ago (i.e. the sun is much higher on the horizon now).

Otherwise, I think it's just a fantastic binocular, and I have had a lot of fun with it over the last few weeks! As I wrote in another thread, I always grab them over my 8x32 EL SV unless weight and size is an issue! :t:

HighNorth .... Thanks for the update. That all sounds good. It is not surprising that the mechanics show some improvement since the folks doing the assembly have had time to refine their skills and fine turn the machinery. I remember some of the first HT focus mechanisms seemed uneven to me, but all the ones I have checked after the initial introduction seem fine.

Your explanation of the light changes make sense. I suspect the changes are significant over a couple of months in your part of the world. Here it is bright and brighter! Anyway, it is good to hear you are starting to get some good light so you can enjoy the view from your SF.

. Although not a binocular, rather a camera. I just had a very similar incident to the one at the beginning of this thread.
When going out about an hour ago, my coat caught my approximately 7-year-old Canon robust compact camera and it fell from the shelf in the entrance hall onto the floor with a dull thud.
. The fall was from 2'9" or 83 cm onto the floor. Surprisingly, it seems to be totally undamaged. I have taken over 100,000 photos with one of these cameras, so I know they are tough.

The difference in this case, however, was that the entrance hall has fitted twist pile carpet, I think from memory, 80% wool 20% Bri-nylon. It has a good rubber underlay. But it is 35 years old so I am very pleased with the protection it provided.

I very rarely drop stuff, perhaps once a year at most.
Although the camera is only worth perhaps £40, it is valuable to me, as it is very fast in operation and I keep it in my pocket without a case. Only 8 megapixel, but a very good camera. Luckily the lens was not out, as this is where compact cameras usually are written off if they fall onto the floor.

It was quite windy today, 18 kn, and at 1357 BST according to my camera clock, a large block of insulating foam fell or rather flew from the building site opposite onto our garage roof. I saw this happen with my side vision, and this foam block is not there on the 13.56 BST image, but it is there on the 13.57 BST image. I don't think this would have hurt anyone had it hit somebody, although I'm not sure. It must be rather lightweight, but it has a large frontal area, which is probably why the wind was able to carry it a fair distance.

Anyway, I hope my camera is undamaged. It certainly seems so at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back