• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id The Thief (4 Viewers)

He looks like a generic bearded middle-aged nature-goer (hunter, birder, fisherman etc.). Unless you knew him personally you would have to use these pics as a field guide all day long as you pass by other people (and likely get beaten up). And it is possible that this is a deliberate disguise (in order to look inconspicious within a generic bearded middle-aged nature-goer flock at the event) of someone who will shave, change clothes and go away with money he got from selling the item. I think the better option is to look for particular binoculars; if they are so costly there aren't likely to be many of them around.

As somebody pointed out on the video link he was probably in collusion with the guy interested in possibly buying the optics and also they probably had a car (stolen?) and that might be on CCTV.....

Laurie:t:

LGRE (on Twitter) reckons he's seen the bloke on twitches, although so far no-one else seems to recognise him, other than in a "well yes he looks like about 50% of the middle aged bird spotters you see on every nature reserve" way.

I'd be quite surprised if he isn't a birder (or has been). When people try to dress in the style of a subculture they don't belong to they almost always make mistakes which they aren't aware of, but everyone in that subculture is. (Think of any subculture you've ever been part of, such as punk, or metal, or mod or whatever applies to you, and think of how costume designers for TV who do it for a living make mistakes with dressing those characters)

This chappy looks pretty birdery to me

I'd be quite surprised if he isn't a birder (or has been). When people try to dress in the style of a subculture they don't belong to they almost always make mistakes which they aren't aware of, but everyone in that subculture is. (Think of any subculture you've ever been part of, such as punk, or metal, or mod or whatever applies to you, and think of how costume designers for TV who do it for a living make mistakes with dressing those characters)

I have always thought homeless people blend in pretty well with birders...

Owen

If you saw him walking down the road dressed like that (walking a dog perhaps) you wouldn't think "I bet he's a birder". He hasn't got a pair of bins round his neck for a start!

Those display binoculars are always worth avoiding, covered in grease, normally been dropped a few times. I can't see them being worth the headline price and I'll be amazed if he can see anything through them.

cheers, a

I reckon that the tea leaf didn't give a hoot about the camera as he and his 'friend' were just gonna disappear....[so not birders in my opinion].

I say him and 'his friend' as it would seem a tad coincidental that, after a finger on his right cheek...[a signal]...his cohort in crime then lurches forwards with arm outstretched obscuring the spectacled guys view of the actual theft...

They 'seem' well practiced...pro's in fact.

I could be wrong of course...

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

I reckon that the tea leaf didn't give a hoot about the camera as he and his 'friend' were just gonna disappear....[so not birders in my opinion].

I say him and 'his friend' as it would seem a tad coincidental that, after a finger on his right cheek...[a signal]...his cohort in crime then lurches forwards with arm outstretched obscuring the spectacled guys view of the actual theft...

http://username-beast.blogspot.co.uk/

I was just about to say something along these same lines. There's a definite step-over distraction going on there!

at the rutland birdfair these type of binos are on wire cords to prevent them going walkies. would of thought it was common sense to do this here too.

LGRE (on Twitter) reckons he's seen the bloke on twitches, although so far no-one else seems to recognise him, other than in a "well yes he looks like about 50% of the middle aged bird spotters you see on every nature reserve" way.

I know of a couple of other birders who have also seen him but don't know who he is. He seems to be quite recognisable, so keep your eyes peeled!!

CB

It depends, to me it looks more like the blond youth is the accomplice. He first desperately tries to get the middle guy's attention so he wouldn't look to the right and get a good view of the bearded guy. Then the bearded guy gets into field of view just briefly, out of main focus, so the middle guy is striving to turn left again to continue talking to the youth. The bearded guy looks through the first pair of bins and moves out of focus again, so the middle guy now gets his bins back and is no longer cautious about the bearded guy. We do not see the video just before the bearded guy walks to the scene, maybe the two of them were just rushing forward to do their trick before the small children seen in background squizzed into the space necessary to perform the scheme.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back