• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id The Thief (4 Viewers)

I know. The thing is that what you put in the internet basically stays here forever. The guy is stealing a pair of bins. Highly reprovable, absolutely agree. However, even after he's caught, and after he eventually gets sentenced and after he eventually redeems himself, this will stay here... That's what I wanted to say above. Maybe my comment is not appropriate either, sorry.

Well he should have thought about that before stealing the thieving Bast***!

That other guy could be totally innocent and have nothing to do with that thieving Bast***
so lets not make assumptions as it would be unfair on him.

Cant believe quotes like "he's not a birder" WHY? are they all perfect law abiding citizens? it is not possible to tell from his clothing

If you saw him walking down the road dressed like that (walking a dog perhaps) you wouldn't think "I bet he's a birder". He hasn't got a pair of bins round his neck for a start!

Of course not Mud Hen - he forgot to nick a strap as well

Last edited:
It looks like there have been more than one pair of Bins stolen, 3 Swarovski and 1 pair of Leica.

He must have a lot of pockets in his trench coat. He looks like the late American actor Ron_Silver.

As to what is or is not appropriate, that's for the moderators and the BF Administrator to decide. Since KC Foggin directed the poster on the other thread here, I think we can assume that it's okay.

Certainly, with all the Brit birders on BF who go to optics shows, there could have been some member at the event who might have seen him there and perhaps elsewhere. Given that the store is probably insured for losses due to theft, it's more about bringing the thief to justice and stopping him from stealing again.

He's probably not going to sell these binoculars to anyone in person, and he wouldn't get top dollar at a pawn shop. If we knew which models were stolen and the serial numbers, we could look for them on eBay and other Websites that sell binoculars including BF Classifieds and notify the store if we came across one of them.

<B>

The suspected man and the man directly to his left cooperates. It's quite obvious!

They look at each other just like "are you ready?" Then you see that man No. 2 seems to ponder his next move when he raises his hand against his face. Then it happens. Man No. 2 diverts the seller by talking to him while he leans forward and points out the window. In this way diverts man no 2 not only attention, but he also obscures visibility so that the man no 1 can stop a bino inside the jacket. Two men have worked together - four binoculars have totally disappeared. Also note how similar dressed the two men are!

This is really the wrong place for outing someone.

where is the right place then? no different to the video being used on crimewatch on bbc where millions could see it. he did wrong - simple. capture the thief and he will be able to confirm whether the other chap in the hat is also guilty.

There are a lot of accusations about ''accomplices'', unproven. I would be worried if I was throwing out loose talk like that - the world loves to litigate these days.

The Lancashire Police page says '...someone, possibly acting with accomplice...', so I wouldn't worry about it too much. And indeed why worry about it anyway, since you personally haven't been 'throwing out loose talk'? There are far worse things going on all over the Internet if you want to worry about something.

EDIT: link to Lancashire Police page (complete with photos of the suspect, so they obviously think it's fine to show his picture on the Interet!): http://www.lancashire.police.uk/new...ars-stolen-from-burscough-wildlife-exhibition

Last edited:
After watching the clip a few more times I'm totally convinced that the two men know each other.

I thought at first that man no 1 picked up a rangefinder out of his pocket, but it is actually handed by the man no 2 at the same moment as the two look at each other! Man no 1 receives the rangefinder with the left hand, and then switch to the right hand. Man no 1 looks through the rangefinder at the same time as man no 2, and the dealer is talking about it. What happens next is hard to see, but I think that the man no 1 gives the rangefinder directly to the seller.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back