• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the SF better than the SV (2 Viewers)

bh46118

Is the SF better than the SV ?

If you have an opinion on this subjective and likely unanswerable question, please share with me.:smoke: And I mean in other areas than FOV and focus knob position. I think a lot of people want to know don't they ? Well, maybe not. But I do.:-O

Last edited:
If you have an opinion on this subjective and likely unanswerable question, please share with me.:smoke: And I mean in other areas than FOV and focus knob position. I think a lot of people want to know don't they ? Well, maybe not. But I do.:-O

I'll run by and take a look this weekend as long as you dont get all offended and puffed up if someone thinks the Zeiss is the better product. :-O

I tried both in 10x format yesterday, the sv felt "posher"' had sharp edges (the sf was not sharp to the edge), and more saturated colours.

Splitting hairs as to which was better, the bigger question for me given the sf I tried did not have sharpness right at the edge was, was it worth £600 more than the ht ?

I'm a realist that has ZERO brand loyalty, and if the Zeiss is better overall , then I would be interested in them. If ever two binoculars were meant to go head to head, it would be these two IMO, and all opinions are welcome. One thing to ponder before going to SWAFA, while observing,you might want to drape your coat over them. Otherwise a passerby might think of you as fanboy or elitist. :king: Just kidding.3:)

I'll run by and take a look this weekend as long as you dont get all offended and puffed up if someone thinks the Zeiss is the better product. :-O

I like subjective threads. The different takes on a subject often tell us as much about ourselves as the binocular in question. It's just plain good fun don't you think ? :t::-O:-O:-O

I would also like to see the HT.

I tried both in 10x format yesterday, the sv felt "posher"' had sharp edges (the sf was not sharp to the edge), and more saturated colours.

Splitting hairs as to which was better, the bigger question for me given the sf I tried did not have sharpness right at the edge was, was it worth £600 more than the ht ?

I'm a realist that has ZERO brand loyalty, and if the Zeiss is better overall , then I would be interested in them. If ever two binoculars were meant to go head to head, it would be these two IMO, and all opinions are welcome. One thing to ponder before going to SWAFA, while observing,you might want to drape your coat over them. Otherwise a passerby might think of you as fanboy or elitist. :king: Just kidding.3:)

:t: I will try to get by there tomorrow, it may not happen but if they have them out I will look. I'm really a poor judge of optics though, to me the Conquest is as close to perfection as I would ever want. Keep in mind, I still use a 6X30 Yosemite more than anything else and I love the thing. If thats all I owned, I'd be happy as a clam, come to think of it, I would be happy as a clam if all I owned was my old Bushnell 8X42 natureviews.

:t: I will try to get by there tomorrow, it may not happen but if they have them out I will look. I'm really a poor judge of optics though, to me the Conquest is as close to perfection as I would ever want. Keep in mind, I still use a 6X30 Yosemite more than anything else and I love the thing. If thats all I owned, I'd be happy as a clam, come to think of it, I would be happy as a clam if all I owned was my old Bushnell 8X42 natureviews.

I am interested, in what store do you think you will find the newest
Zeiss model's ? I did not see that mentioned.

I was in a Cabela's store yesterday, and I go there maybe twice a year.

Here is what I found in the showcase. Swarovski had all the models
featured, and available. Zeiss only had the Conquest and Terra, and
they were placed on the bottom shelf.

Cabela's had their own Euro models featured, as you would suspect.

Vortex, also had many of their models on display. Nikon had all of there
models starting with the Monarch 7.

Bargain Cave :
They had the Leica Trinovid in the cave. And there was also a Swaro. Range, in the cave, now a discontinued model.

Bargain Cave :
They had the Leica Trinovid in the cave. And there was also a Swaro. Range, in the cave, now a discontinued model.

I dont know if they have them or not, I run by SWFA every week or two for ammo (they have a good stock of 22 lr ammo) and usually kill a little time looking around. If they dont have them then it will be pretty simple, I'll look when they do have them.

Bargain Cave :

That's about the same as what I see in Cabela'ses (plural, 2 stores) around here!!!3:)

Despite its popularity, I've yet to see a Zeiss Conquest HD in 8x32 in either of them; and that one has been out for some time now... :-O

I go often...

CG

I still want to here your opinion even if it is wrong.:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O

Bruce, I'm pretty sure that you've got the title of this thread wrong ..... :eat:

It should be called -- "Why the 10x42 SV is the greatest binocular of all time" :king:

You should then reply to every post -- don't worry if your reply is not logical or even related to the post, just keep on replying ...... pump, pump, pump ! If the thread goes a bit cold then just quote yourself -- again -- no need to make sense ! 3:)

Then quietly list your obsolete SV's on Zebay and keep pump, pump, pumping the thread ..... Pump, pump, pump !! ;)

Hopefully you talk the price of your obsolete bins up so that the upgrade to the SF doesn't cause your hip pocket tooooo much pain :eek!:

Then to ensure the retained value of your new toy -- continually tell everyone they are blind :cool: if they can't see that they are the greatest !! :loveme:

8-P :cat:

Chosun :gh:

If I have learned one thing from being here so much [and something I'm sure you know too], you are the only one that can answer the question posed. Asking for others opinions is like asking them if they like Cheetos as much as you.....and then being disgruntled when they tell you how much they like Pringles better.

Try, buy or not. Someone else can't be of much help.

No doubt about that, but it is an interesting topic. Anyone thinking of buying an SF would be out of their mind if they don't directly compare them to the SV, and I am interested in those comparisons. So far it sounds like the SV holds its own, but if I get a chance to see the SF and like it better, I might change. My eyes are always my guide, not numbers or words. .

It will always be in the eye of the beholder!

Nothing more nothing less.

Bryce...

I think you may have me confused with another member of the forum named Dennis.:eek!::-O

Bruce, I'm pretty sure that you've got the title of this thread wrong ..... :eat:

It should be called -- "Why the 10x42 SV is the greatest binocular of all time" :king:

You should then reply to every post -- don't worry if your reply is not logical or even related to the post, just keep on replying ...... pump, pump, pump ! If the thread goes a bit cold then just quote yourself -- again -- no need to make sense ! 3:)

Then quietly list your obsolete SV's on Zebay and keep pump, pump, pumping the thread ..... Pump, pump, pump !! ;)

Hopefully you talk the price of your obsolete bins up so that the upgrade to the SF doesn't cause your hip pocket tooooo much pain :eek!:

Then to ensure the retained value of your new toy -- continually tell everyone they are blind :cool: if they can't see that they are the greatest !! :loveme:

:

Chosun :gh:

Asking for others opinions is like asking them if they like Cheetos as much as you.....and then being disgruntled when they tell you how much they like Pringles better.

Absolutely.

Opinions from other folks can be interesting and informative, but they are a bit like leather shoes: the other dude might be comfortable in them but you might not be.

Lee

Torview, thats not quite the question I would ask as I would need to take into account that those 'edges' that are not quite sharp are way further apart in the SF than HT. The FOV difference is startling.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back