• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker Re discovered ? (1 Viewer)

How cool it would be if this were true...as I would love to see one of these wonderful birds... I would still like to "see" proof myself though... Keep our fingers crossed!

I'm convinced. I've been keeping an eye on birdingamerica for a while now (they have an excellent section on birding Arizona), and I believe there's been coordination between Mary and Cornell's bioaccoustic's lab during their last search for the bird (circa 2002). I did wonder why there'd been no updates for two years! Damned clever thing to do! With Nature Conservancy involved, apparently (securing land for the bird, I imagine), it looks like all the key agencies are tied in and heavily involved.

This is huge. This is bigger than huge. This is the first great discovery of the new millenium. A second chance to recify a mistake of the last millenium.

I feel faint!

Last edited:
I think we can all put the doubts about the authenticity behind us. The real thing that we need to think of now is the safety of this area for these birds. I really hope that people such as the ones posting on this site would be intelligent enough to realize that we should not go running down there looking for these birds and discourage others from doing this as well. The last thing this tiny population of birds needs is thousands of people tromping through their home.

Aw, c'mon... as much as I want to see one of these magnificent birds, chances are slim to none for their survival. Every time a report of Ivory-Bills surfaces, the witness sees only one. A species obviously cannot survive if there are less than two birds left.

Most people in the Louisiana-Arkansas-Mississippi area know that Ivories were last seen in those areas. So every few years, they call the local Audubon, say they saw an Ivory, and gets everyone's hopes up.

Of course, they should make filing false rare bird alerts a crime. Just like filing false police reports...

Get this: "So far, naturalists have captured only a fleeting video image of the rare bird in Arkansas." If this is the best they have, then I think this whole thing is premature.

It's certainly possible that this "whole thing is premature". However, the Ivory-billed woodpecker is a very distinct bird, and even a "fleeting video image" is likely diagnostic. It has quite a different pattern than the Pileated, for example, the bird most often mistaken for it. I can't imagine the Department of the Interior, the Nature Conservancy, and Cornell University all getting this involved if they weren't at least reasonably certain of what they've got.

For some reason, I don't think they would have a national press conference to announce the rediscovery of the bird if they weren't 100% sure. What they meant when they said they have only captured one fleeting video was that it was all the photographic evidence they had. There have been 7 confirmed reports from this area by researchers. You all need to read things a little better to get the facts.

Assuming the sightings are valid, I wonder if "they" (Cornell Lab etc.) will take another look at David Kulivan's sighting in 1999. After the negative results of the 2002 expedition to the Pearl River area of Louisiana, I think most people wrote it off as yet another misidentified Pileated. He must feel somewhat vindicated.

Hi Curtis - not sure David's sighting is any more or less valid because of this sighting. Still if true it's great news (and i'll be more than happy to be wrong on all my previous posts where I stated that they were most likely extinct) if they have found a viable population in Arkansas. Interestingly I note that Pileateds are only thought to live around 10 years so I would imagine Ivory-billed Woodpeckers probably have a similar lifespan (I could be totally wrong) - that would at least lend support to there being some recent breeding success. I just hope the whole thing doesn't turn into something of a circus down there.

Luke

Last edited:
Let me be the first Brit' to congratulate you all. It's wonderful news.
Don't screw it up this time.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back