• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Joint Thread (2 Viewers)

Another superb set of pantings - consistently so, too. I'd love to see the one that didn't make the grade as all of your work is of such an impossibly high standard.

All terrific Peter but I particularly like the rain spattered wigeon pair, people don't paint the weather enough!

Mike

As per Tim's request, here's the one that didn't make the grade. I just couldn't get into it and wasn't happy with much on it at all really, so I never finished it. The flock in the fog is the one that replaced it. Maybe I'll get back to the pair and add something to it and finish the birds up, but I'm just not that excited about it for some reason...

Attachments

• wigeon study5.JPG
    wigeon study5.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Wigeon Study 4 4x4.JPG
    Wigeon Study 4 4x4.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 55
Well nearly a year since actually posting anything. Having been on a wet holiday I thought I'd have another go at watercolour, after the inspirational video on one of the other threads.

Did these without a drawing just to see if I could do it. Sadly not from field sketches but made up some sketches from photos then went for it.

Ooo - naughty me. I missed these due to my jaunts back to Yorkshire!! - Very nice Paul - the beaks are handled really well (damn difficult) and the colours are spot on. Good to see you back in the chair, mate.

As per Tim's request, here's the one that didn't make the grade. I just couldn't get into it and wasn't happy with much on it at all really, so I never finished it. The flock in the fog is the one that replaced it. Maybe I'll get back to the pair and add something to it and finish the birds up, but I'm just not that excited about it for some reason...
Crikey Peter - you set some fecking high standards, my friend. These are really lovely - the secnd piece is an absolute cracker - and, dare I say it, looks finished and ready for hanging.

very nice again, I think the problem in the first one that didn't make it is the large area that doesn't seem to have any purpose in the picture, other than that, it's very very nice. Loving the group in the fog.

Ooo - naughty me. I missed these due to my jaunts back to Yorkshire!! - Very nice Paul - the beaks are handled really well (damn difficult) and the colours are spot on. Good to see you back in the chair, mate.

Thanks Tim, Strange how you can get it OK one day and become almost colour blind for the other 360 odd days though. :-O Not quite as prolific as Mr Derry but at least it's regular.

I'm very interested in birds in fog, tho I haven't tried it yet. These are beautiful...... funny isn't it how without some emotional connection, for most artists, IMO no matter how competent the work technically, it's hard to finish something that is satisfying, and hard to stay interested.

Hello everyone...like others haven't posted anything for quite some time...

It feels like eons since I picked up a pencil or a brush...time to get back to painting I think...strange how life seems to take such twists and turns and somehow the things that bring us the greatest joy get pushed onto the back burner...

We moved last summer from Saskatchewan on the prairies to the West Coast of Canada - Powell River, BC to be exact...loving the more moderate climate - not so keen on the winter rain...overall though it's been a busy year!

From the looks of all the recent additions to this thread - many of you have been equally busy...some absolutely stunning work here...won't mention names in case I miss anyone out but thanks to all who continue to keep this section of the BirdForum alive and incredibly well.

A very Merry Christmas to each and every one of you - it's a privilege to be acquainted with so many artists of such diverse talent and amazing dedication...

All the best for 2010...

Here are a couple of new paintings and the snow geese are a work in progress... Also, I have had a painting nominated for the 2011 Ducks Unlimited Artist of the Year award. There are some great artists and great paintings to choose from and the winner will be selected by on online vote. You can click here to see the entries and to vote. Thanks and feel free to pass the link along!!

Attachments

• TX Non Game Stamp sm.JPG
    TX Non Game Stamp sm.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 81
  • tx stamp3.JPG
    tx stamp3.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 70
  • NC Snow Geese1.JPG
    NC Snow Geese1.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 73
Great paintings Peter! I love the snow geese in particular!
See below the poor harvest from a visit to our local east park in Munich
today morning, a sunny but extremely cold one...

Paschalis

Attachments

• B-H-Gull.jpg
    B-H-Gull.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Greylag goose.jpg
    Greylag goose.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 55
  • Mallard.jpg
    Mallard.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 44
no matter, they are beautifull, I esp like how you used the pencil on the paper texture, a painterly use of value, not just depending on line.

Very beautiful drawings Paschalis - the b-h gull is so lovely, you've captured the look absolutely right - I find these birds just about impossible to draw! Your combined use of sketch lines and smudge tones is exemplarary - perfect!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back