• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large moth, never seen it before, NC august 2nd at 11:18 pm (1 Viewer)

Lissaj

United States
Can someone identify this moth, I’m not having any luck finding i, it’s so beautiful.

Attachments

• 6D65E8B6-F244-4952-83F8-8C0EA6023490.jpeg
    6D65E8B6-F244-4952-83F8-8C0EA6023490.jpeg
    952.6 KB · Views: 14
At first glance it looks like a rather dull regal moth. Maybe that, or a different species within the genus? Citheronia splendens (pine devil moth) perhaps?

I use an App. called "Seek" which tells me that this is a North American species - Regal Moth whose caterpillars are called hickory horned devils. And according to Wiki it’s a big rascal

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back