• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica eye candy.... (1 Viewer)

Sightmark(?) just isn't on my radar; is the outer field usably sharp? Apart from the outliers I mentioned previously, models I'm familar with (Leica, Swaro, EDG etc) typically run around 420 ft at 7x vs 408 ft at 8x. A 3% gain in TFOV for a 12.5% drop in magnification doesn't appeal to me.
The Leica and EDG 7x42's both have 8 degree fields, not a huge increase over the 8x's (7.4 and 7.7) but still wider and I consider 8 degrees to be wide field. Yes the AFOV is smaller and maybe less "immersive" for some.

The decrease in magnification is a feature, not a bug, for 7x lovers. The lower mag. is precisely what makes them so appealing to me :D:D

btw the latest run of 7x42 EDG has just gone "sold out" in Japan, while the 8x and 10x are still available. Great example of how one should act quickly if you like 7x. Nobody likes 7x anymore, except the people that buy out the stock of 7x :)

Can’t believe no one has asked: yes, binos are lovely but is that background real or a poster??? Stunning!

Hello @MiddleRiver, thank you.

If it wasn't for them mountains in front of my cabin I would have quite a view ;)

Joking aside, yes sir, they are real, and every day new. I have been marveling at them for a quarter of a century; imposing, majestic, stately.

Leica5.jpg

Hello @MiddleRiver, thank you.

If it wasn't for them mountains in front of my cabin I would have quite a view ;)

Joking aside, yes sir, they are real, and every day new. I have been marveling at them for a quarter of a century; imposing, majestic, stately.

View attachment 1522243
Lots of summer left in that shot, which makes me wonder how recently it was taken. Pretty nice to see so much room at the top of them. By the way, that particular HD+ is so nice!

Lots of summer left in that shot, which makes me wonder how recently it was taken. Pretty nice to see so much room at the top of them. By the way, that particular HD+ is so nice!

The picture was taken yesterday.

A small tidbit of information for y'all; @Trinovid is referring by "lots of summer left in that shot..." to the blooming state of the fireweed, as the blooms march up its stem. As we say here up North "when the fireweed turns to cotton, summer will soon be forgotten."

@Alaska4me and @chill6x6 need to peek here... no affiliation but <sigh>
Oh man, @MiddleRiver, I have been "Watching" them for many months, and checked on them just yesterday ;)

Time to change my password to eBay, Brother MiddleRiver is watching me :D

Oh man, @MiddleRiver, I have been "Watching" them for many months, and checked on them just yesterday ;)

Time to change my password to eBay, Brother MiddleRiver is watching me :D
How about these? ...new in stock for 1979€. I hope someone will buy them before I break down and give in to this temptation.

How about these? ...new in stock for 1979€. I hope someone will buy them before I break down and give in to this temptation.
Hubba hubba! What do you know about galaxyandorra.com? I never heard of them. Have you done business with them?

Edit: ScamAdvisor cautions "The trust score of galaxyandorra.com is extremely low. This is a strong indicator that the website may be a scam."

Last edited:
Another option is the most recent of the gussied up Ultravids, the Customized version, in brown leather with titanium coloured metalwork:

Customized.jpg

It was built to HD Plus spec’s and available in 8x32, 10x32, 8x42 and 10x42.

Introduced in January 2019, it seems to have been recently discontinued
(perhaps with the 2022 introduction of the green leather Trinovid 8x40 Life, see: Neon Green 8x40 version. )
So some may still be available with a bit of searching.

John

Last edited:
Hubba hubba! What do you know about galaxyandorra.com? I never heard of them. Have you done business with them?

Edit: ScamAdvisor cautions "The trust score of galaxyandorra.com is extremely low. This is a strong indicator that the website may be a scam."
I am sorry for posting this. My intention was not to advertise a scam. I didn't check the website because being located in Andorra (its political and legal status confuses me) I never really considered a purchase from them. What I said in my above post was to express just how much I like those safari Leicas.

I don't know about the website, but it appears that the actual shop by that name is legit. It would be a simple matter to just call them directly and confirm whether it's in stock.

1690359153024.png

P.S.: Andorra is just a regular ol' sovereign country, no different in status than its neighbours France and Spain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back