• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid HD 8x42 Questions (1 Viewer)

sope0018

United States
Hi all. I've never been able to get my hands on this model/format. I have seen mostly mixed reviews on this binocular on the forum, and was wondering if there was anyone here who has owned and used this model for a long time and could speak to its strengths. I'm aware of the other models in this price range from other manufacturers, but ideally I'd like to keep discussion to just this model/format.

Some good things I've read about it:
  • center-field sharpness on par with UVHD+
  • good viewing comfort (large exit pupil, 17mm eye relief, no blackouts)
  • color rendition typical Leica
  • build quality on par with the UVHD+ models
  • smooth focuser

Some not so good things I've read about it:
  • FOV a bit narrow (372 ft/1000y)
  • AFOV a bit narrow (54 degrees)
  • a bit more CA than other binos in this tier
  • focuser, though smooth, has the tiniest bit of play to it.

Questions:
* Could you use it as your only binocular and be happy with it?

I'm currently saving up for either the Retrovid 7x35 or the UVHD+ 7x42 (a difficult choice) but found myself curious about this model which is significantly more affordable, and thought I should at least ask everyone about it. Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
As someone who owns 7x35, 8x42UV, and has owned the 8x32 and 10x42HD's, I can opine that your pros-and-cons bullets are generally accurate.
  • Field is 'curved' with some edge fall-off (25%?). Never bothered me and in fact I don't like field flatteners.
  • There is some CA. I lived with it fine.
  • Superb build.
  • In my speciments, perfect focusers - the best of ANY binos I've owned including Zeiss, Nikon, Leica).

The 8X was my wifes daily-user and she ended up preferring 8x30HG because of weight and size. The HG's were puchased for 3-4wk trip which included lots of trekking/hiking and she decided to let go of HD's,
The 10x I sold because i couldn't get Noctivids out of my mind. Was it worth the improvements? Prob not :p

Anyone ever had any issues with the durability of the coatings/scratches on the Trinovid HD models? I noticed the Retrovids on up have Aqua Dura/HDC coatings but I don't see anything in the literature on Leica's website about those coatings or any other coating for durability. What I'd like is a binocular whose lenses will remain pristine for quite a long time if I take care of them, and know that it will be able to withstand the odd bump or lens scratch that is inevitable with use over time.

My first Trinovids were early 1970's 7x35's. Glass was flawless when I gave them up. Ditto both my HD's. That said, I do use eyepc covers and I'm OCD about cleaning glass on the rare occasions when it's needed.

@ OP post #1:
I have the 8x42 HD and regarding the "good and bad" list, I agree with all the goods and first two bads. I can't speak to CA in particular b/c I haven't tried to specifically look for it, but am continually wowed by the HD's superb color rendition. Mine has zero focus play. Regarding inevitable bumps etc,: how strong a contender is the retro 7x35 with pebble finish and paint, compared to armor-clad competitors?
~ Foss

If you have the chance try also a used Trinovid BA/BN. I have the UVHD and Trinovid BN both in 7x and the difference is not that big at all. Don’t know if that is also so with the 8x42 format but fellow members praise their 8x32 BN’s.
The 8x32 BN is a timeless classic that still holds up optically today. Its view is very “Leica”, perhaps slightly less bright due to older coating, but very close to my Ultravids. To me the 42mm size BN is too heavy and bulky compared to its Ultravid spin off, but the 32 size BN feels wonderful in the hand. I prefer it to the tiny Ultravid.

I'm currently saving up for either the Retrovid 7x35 or the UVHD+ 7x42 (a difficult choice) but found myself curious about this model which is significantly more affordable, and thought I should at least ask everyone about it. Thanks for your time!

Questions:
* Could you use it [Trinovid HD] as your only binocular and be happy with it?

Nope, I would pick the the UVHD+ every day in the week.

The 8x32 BN is a timeless classic that still holds up optically today. Its view is very “Leica”, perhaps slightly less bright due to older coating, but very close to my Ultravids. To me the 42mm size BN is too heavy and bulky compared to its Ultravid spin off, but the 32 size BN feels wonderful in the hand. I prefer it to the tiny Ultravid.
I’ve got both models as well, and while I really like the HD+ the best for looking through at bright colors and some other situations, it’s the BN that I’ve been using the most for the better part of of a year now.

I mean every word of it, “life is short and time is scarce.” As your only binocular, I suggest getting the UVHD+ 7x42 and call it a day. Yes, the erudite Forum members here correctly mentioned the many endearing attributes of the other Leica models, but all of these models will leave the user wondering, often unsettlingly, about how the view would have been like with the UVHD+ 7x42.** Enjoy in good health.

**Please remember that you didn’t mention the Noctivid 8x42 that is certainly worth a consideration.

@ibramr that’s an interesting thought too - Noctivid 8x42 vs. HD+ 7x42. I lean toward the 7x42 for the mag (enjoy 7’s depth of field) and also the wide exit pupil for fast easy handling in dense woods where I find myself a lot, the ergonomics, the design (I think it’s the best looking bino on the market currently, well, the retros are right there with it in my opinion), the compactness, and the eye relief so I can share the view with my friends/family who are glasses wearers (I don’t wear them). The Noctivid has many of these qualities too and I’m sure I’d be happy with it, but the 7x42 gets me more excited, and I want to snap it up before it’s gone (not that it’s going out of production). I’m sure there are many a Zeiss owner who wish the FL 7x42 was still in production despite the HT/SF 8x42 being the next evolution in view/ergos by that maker.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I will remain steadfast in my quest for the HD+ 7x42!

As an update to this thread, I did purchase the Leica Ultravid HD+ in 7x42 this past spring and thought I would add my thoughts on this model, which will probably serve to reinforce all that has been said about it over the years on this forum.

Things I like:
  • Image quality. It is as spectacular as it is reported to be here on the forum. It has a curved field, and as such there is edge fall off but it doesn't bother me and the whole field is usable for my purposes. I couldn't hope for sharper image center-field.
  • Easy view. 17mm of eye relief and a huge 6mm exit pupil with comfortable eye cups that line up well with the eye relief make this the easiest binocular I have used in terms of fast, effortless, automatic eye placement with no eye strain at all. Panning is very comfortable. The ease of view is my favorite feature about this binocular, it is such a relief to view through them.
  • Ergonomics. I have a pretty narrow IPD setting around 57mm. Even when the hinge is mostly closed up when viewing things up close, this bino sits very comfortably in my hands and the focuser is well-placed and easy to use. The focuser on my unit is smooth in either direction with no play.
  • Clear, bright view in all conditions. It can be overcast or twilight or early morning or raining or I can be under a dark forest canopy, and the image is always bright and clear.
  • Build Quality. standard Leica build quality, refined and tank-like.
  • The locking diopter - I love it. It seems less prone to drift or accidental nudging, which can be annoying. This one is easy to adjust and functions perfectly.
  • 7x. I don't need to move the focus wheel very much with this binocular with typical use, whatever the focus speed is seems irrelevant as a result. The apparent field is narrower on paper than some other models, but there's a lot of terrain that is in focus with these.
  • It looks cool!

Things I would change... honestly not much. Maybe a better case with more structure for better protection. There are third party solutions for that.

Generally, the sum of its qualities makes for a well rounded, useful, and consistent tool that is pleasant to use in a variety of conditions, environments, and applications. I use them for birding and wildlife viewing, checking out the moon and stars and Jupiter's moons (you can get better views with more mag but that doesn't stop me), sweeping landscapes...

As an update to this thread, I did purchase the Leica Ultravid HD+ in 7x42 this past spring and thought I would add my thoughts on this model, which will probably serve to reinforce all that has been said about it over the years on this forum.

Things I like:
  • Image quality. It is as spectacular as it is reported to be here on the forum. It has a curved field, and as such there is edge fall off but it doesn't bother me and the whole field is usable for my purposes. I couldn't hope for sharper image center-field.
  • Easy view. 17mm of eye relief and a huge 6mm exit pupil with comfortable eye cups that line up well with the eye relief make this the easiest binocular I have used in terms of fast, effortless, automatic eye placement with no eye strain at all. Panning is very comfortable. The ease of view is my favorite feature about this binocular, it is such a relief to view through them.
  • Ergonomics. I have a pretty narrow IPD setting around 57mm. Even when the hinge is mostly closed up when viewing things up close, this bino sits very comfortably in my hands and the focuser is well-placed and easy to use. The focuser on my unit is smooth in either direction with no play.
  • Clear, bright view in all conditions. It can be overcast or twilight or early morning or raining or I can be under a dark forest canopy, and the image is always bright and clear.
  • The locking diopter - I love it. It seems less prone to drift or accidental nudging, which can be annoying. This one is easy to adjust and functions perfectly.
  • 7x. I don't need to move the focus wheel very much with this binocular with typical use, whatever the focus speed is seems irrelevant as a result. The apparent field is narrower on paper than some other models, but there's a lot of terrain that is in focus with these.
  • It looks cool!

Things I would change... honestly not much. Maybe a better case with more structure for better protection. There are third party solutions for that.

Generally, the sum of its qualities makes for a well rounded, useful, and consistent tool that is pleasant to use in a variety of conditions, environments, and applications. I use them for birding and wildlife viewing, checking out the moon and stars and Jupiter's moons (you can get better views with more mag but that doesn't stop me), sweeping landscapes...
I concur with everything you said, these binoculars just ooze quality all around. I posted very similar impressions back in the summer.

They seem to check the most boxes of all the binoculars I’ve tried and own. Unlike so many binoculars that have detractors about being too big, too heavy, too long, too much CA, too blue, too green, too sharp ( never understood that one), image too flat, edge distortion too much, FOV too small and too much glare. The list continues with peeling armor, focusers in the wrong place, nauseating panning qualities so on and so on.

Yet the Leica 7x42 UVHD+ seems not to suffer from most if not all of these drawbacks and weaknesses, imo. I’m just sayin.

Paul

I concur with everything you said, these binoculars just ooze quality all around. I posted very similar impressions back in the summer.

They seem to check the most boxes of all the binoculars I’ve tried and own. Unlike so many binoculars that have detractors about being too big, too heavy, too long, too much CA, too blue, too green, too sharp ( never understood that one), image too flat, edge distortion too much, FOV too small and too much glare. The list continues with peeling armor, focusers in the wrong place, nauseating panning qualities so on and so on.

Yet the Leica 7x42 UVHD+ seems not to suffer from most if not all of these drawbacks and weaknesses, imo. I’m just sayin.

Paul
Yes, when I started to think of ways to improve on this model, things I would change, anything I came up with would ultimately shift the balance of this binocular out of the balance it achieves. The designers and engineers behind this model and its very limited iterations over the years (coatings, glass type, or various cosmetic releases basically?) really nailed it. I think Leica knows it has something very special with this model, I hope it stays in production for a long time, or that future iterations don't change things too much.

Things I like:
  • It looks cool!

Excellent summary of the many wonderful qualities of the 7x42!

Your statement especially about "ease of view" that remains nearly perfect in all lighting conditions is for me the real magic. Like you say, "a relief to view through them." Never have to worry about eye fatigue, glare or harsh overcast.... they often surprise me with views that are better than I expected given the conditions. No weird panning distortions or off-axis blurry rings. Just the most comfortable, relaxing, consistently excellent views of any binocular I've used.

Combined with the lovely ergonomics and Leica build quality, the fact that they are so compact and light (750g) for a premium 42mm, the best eyecups and diopter mechanism in the game as far as I'm concerned... the only thing I could possibly wish for is a 7x35 version.

The AFOV is more narrow than other models, but the 8 degree true FOV is actually quite wide and only a little bit behind something like a 8x42 SF (8.4 degrees I think?)

Once you start birding or viewing things you realize that field is wide, and also more "accessible" or "easy" than some of the wide-field 8x's that have more rectilinear distortion and/or blackouts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back