• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

At least I have the excuse of not being on the island☺. However, I even miss them when I'm there and in s'Albufera!
Collared Fly. would have been a nice tick. It would appear that April in Mallorca is the best place by far to see one in Spain (28 out of 45 records between 1957 and 2010).
Sorry to hear about your scope. Is it repairable?
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Martin, yes, I am just going to a friend's house now. He has a workshop and luckily the glass is fine which is surprising as those rocks at the tower are unforgiving.
Lots more action now, another Collared flycatcher on Cabrera, a group of Rock sparrow at their favoured location of Cap Blanc. A group of "Bru Bru" reported at Cap de ses Salines this morning but I have absolutely no idea what they might be, midges for all I know. Mike

.......A group of "Bru Bru" reported at Cap de ses Salines this morning but I have absolutely no idea what they might be, midges for all I know. Mike

Hi Mike,
According to Wikipedia the brubru is a member of the bushshrike family found in much of sub-Saharan Africa apart from the western rainforests and southern South Africa. It is the only member of the genus Nilaus.........not a midge but would make a good tick apparently .

Myself and two friends are staying in Pollensa from 9th may for a week. Thanks to you and other contributors for ongoing posts. Having only been to Mallorca in August before I'm looking forward to Visiting at this time of year. Getting really excited now and very much appreciate the frequent updates and your detailed knowledge. Many thanks Mick M

A bit of a mad day today with Maties going to the south this morning, firstly at the Cap de ses Salines, 5 Golden oriole and an Ortolan bunting, then to Salobrar de Campos where he saw a Red-footed falcon and a Red throated pipit. Also a Roller at the depuradora, Albufera, a couple more Collared flycatcher. I missed them all. Mike

Fresh south easterly winds, the tower has been ok with a Sparrowhawk and a surprise Merlin. Take a good look at all those Pied flycatchers, some interesting ones are being seen including Collared. More later. The salt pans at Colonia Sant Jordi are worth a look, the waders and Flamingos are showing very near the road so great photo opportunities. Mike

Hi Rob,

Deia is amazing, up in the Tramuntana mountains. I've just got back from a week there. Absolutely beautiful and quiet. Valdemossa is a bit bigger and not too far away but also beautiful.

In Deia, eleonoras falcon, booted eagle and black vulture early on the first the morning. Scops owls calling and seen as well, balearic and scopoli's shearwater, audoins gull, blue rock thrush, crag martin at the beach. Also cirl bunting locally too. All without really trying.

Not exactly near s'albufera but if you want the wife to see the exact opposite of what she may have in her mind about Mallorca then that is the place (s). S'albufera was a fantastic place to visit and less than 90 minutes drive.

I am going back next year in early May hopefully and i am not one for returning to the same place every year.

After my first visit to Mallorca last year and, having enjoyed it so much, I've regularly kept up to date with this thread which has always been a good source of info. Fortunately I'm visiting again and this time would like to visit Depuradora. Last year on my full birding day I spent 10 hours at S'Albufera and, while wanting to go there again, I plan to catch a bus along the road to the track to Depuradora and walk down. What I would like to find out is the road/track fine to walk along and is it far to go? Is there a bus stop near this road/track?

Many thanks,
Gi

Don't know about buses along that road Gi, but the track is fine to walk along and there is plenty to see along it (Bee-eater, maybe Stone Curlew, larks ...). It's not too far to walk out of Ca'n Picafort itself (I did that last year and I'm no spring chicken).

Hi Gi- the southbound buses on route 352 (Port de Pollenca- C'an Picafort) will stop if you request it at a camp type place (whose name I have forgotten) just before the main C'an Picafort roundabout, and then you are on the right side of the road to walk round to the right at the roundabout and then follow the map in Gosney. It is quite a long way to the viewing platform, and it can be very hot (take lots of drink), but as has been said, there is birding interest all the way.

Hi Gi- the southbound buses on route 352 (Port de Pollenca- C'an Picafort) will stop if you request it at a camp type place (whose name I have forgotten) just before the main C'an Picafort roundabout, and then you are on the right side of the road to walk round to the right at the roundabout and then follow the map in Gosney. It is quite a long way to the viewing platform, and it can be very hot (take lots of drink), but as has been said, there is birding interest all the way.

I walked this three times last fortnight from Can picafort it took a steady hour , I did find a route through the wood on the left access at the second roundabout which is much better than walking the road ( does Gosney show this ?) it comes out at the roadside where you can carry on to the track with the bus garage ,or cross straight over to a track which had some fantastic fields of flowers turn left then right which is back onto the main track to the sewage works. It is very hot and no shelter on the platform so as hughm says take a large hat and plenty of drink.
Brian

Thanks all, the walk to the depuradora is good as has been said, Tawny pipit, Short-toed lark, Bee-eaters and sometimes some surprises. Lovely wild flowers too so it's worth the effort. I aim to be at the depuradora platform tomorrow at 10am so if anyone's around it would be good to say hello. Mike

Thanks all for the helpful info, will definitely add it on the itinerary when I visit next month. Handy to know good for flora too and good advice on water. My visit to S'Albufera was in that hot period in June last year and I was glad I took two large bottles of water as well as topping up from the drinks machine near the visitor centre.

Cheers,
Gi

Great to meet so many birders "up North" today, thanks for all the information. Depuradpra, 2 Little stint, Whiskered tern, Marbled duck and Golden eagle. Can Curassa: 2 Rollers. (thanks Max, my first in 26 years). Maria de la Salut: 1 Lesser kestrel and one Black kite. Another Black kite on the way home at Calonge. Mike

cuber reservoir yesterday

I'm currently here with a group of students, just noticed this. We have had some good birds in recent days, will try and keep up! Yesterday we saw lots of the expected species (more black vultures than I'd imagined by some order of magnitude!), but both black and red kite at this site, plus a very nice male moltoni's warbler on the southern edge. Hope that's of some interest!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back