• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2015 (1 Viewer)

Hi Gus, you will need dry, open fields for both of those. The entrance to the Boquer Valley should produce Thekla. There are both species present on the approach road to the Depuradora, Albufera but that's a hike from Pollonca. Just scan any ploughed field outside town and you should be ok. Thekla have a short and rather sad call, descending and mournful. Hope you get to see one, or both preferably. Mike

Hi Gus
Don't feel too bad about not seeing White-headed duck as they are about as scarce as hen's teeth. Despite introductions, they don't seem to lok Mallorca any more. From memory there used to be one on the main canal but a long way from reception and the hides.
Good luck with the larks. They can take a bit of scanning for, especially if the fields have been recently turned for planting.
Martin

Cheers both, knew I'd be very lucky to see White-headed Duck, shame they haven't settled in a bit better at s'Albufera.
I'll pop out to the fields before the Boquer Valley after lunch. But so far I've had 35 ticks :) love Mallorca and I'm sure I'll be back!

Of course! Got all my notes written in my notebook, will try to have it written fairly soon once I'm back home :) I'll post a link here in case people want to see what I've been up to the past 9 days!

Yes, Martin is totally right, White-headed duck is not present in Mallorca any more, its reintroduction at s'Albufera not being successful, differently from that of Red pochard and Purple gallinule which I hope you have seen Gus.

On another matter, I just posted on a new forum (http://www.mallorcabirdwatching.com/forum) some information about what to do if you find an injured bird while in Pollença area, and I think it may be useful here too (just in case).

In case you or someone finds a bird or another animal injured, the best is to phone the local police or to take it to the police stations in Pollença or Puerto Pollença; Then they transfer the animal to the recovery centre COFIB. It normally works very well. I point out hereby the addresses, telephone numbers and GMaps links of both police stations:

POLLENÇA: Munar street, 16 - Tel: +34 971 530437 - https://goo.gl/maps/r0Jrj

PUERTO POLLENÇA: Metge Llopis street, 1 - Tel: +34 971 867404 - https://goo.gl/maps/iEej7 (next to the main square/church)

Hope this is useful
Pere

Another evening walk down "Eddies Track" at Salobrar de Campos produced hundreds of Common swift, House martins and Swallows, a fabulous sight in the setting sun. There was one group of about 800 Swift, then two more large groups moved through. Lots of Marsh harrier and a Great white egret was also reported. Mike

Osprey Tucan

Here's a shot of the Osprey I had over Tucan Marsh on Jul 30th. It had a colour ring no 11, which according to Roy Dennis is one of the local birds.

Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Osprey Tucan Marsh 30.7.15a.jpg
    Osprey Tucan Marsh 30.7.15a.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 133
Majorca 5 April to 19 April 2015

a few more shots,
viperine i think ?
garganey,
snipe.
steve.

Attachments

• IMG_4443 (800x579).jpg
    IMG_4443 (800x579).jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4453 (800x572).jpg
    IMG_4453 (800x572).jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4467 (800x574).jpg
    IMG_4467 (800x574).jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4603 (574x410).jpg
    IMG_4603 (574x410).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 77
Here's a shot of the Osprey I had over Tucan Marsh on Jul 30th. It had a colour ring no 11, which according to Roy Dennis is one of the local birds.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

I contacted my colleagues who run the Osprey conservation project at GOB (including the tagging/ringing) and it seems that this bird has an interesting recent history. It was ringed at Tucan Marsh (the real local name is Maristany) in 2009.

On 10 July this year, the Osprey was found floating on the sea at Pollença Bay and it was taken to COFIB fauna recovery centre (in Santa Eugenia); the plumage was very messy and had a small injury on one wing, but nothing serious. After proper recovery it was released at Albufereta on 22 July. But on 5 Aug it was found again floating near Formentor and again taken back to COFIB, where it still is. Toni (GOB's conservation officer) says that this bird is very lucky, as it's probably one of the very few Ospreys that has been rescued twice from the sea!

You can find all the info about the project here http://www.gobmallorca.com/peixatera/ (in Catalan, but if you speak French it's not difficult to understand)

Best
Pere

Thanks Pere, a very interesting history, it must have a death wish. There is often an Osprey fishing over the bay in Porto Petro, a friend also saw it in a tree on the back road towards Alqueria Blanca. Mike

I went to the launch of the annual bird report for Mallorca last night and it was the usual brilliant evening. There are many devoted people working hard here to protect, monitor and re-introduce new species ie Bonelli's Life.
It was a fabulous event and the great news is that for the first time, the bird report is available in English! It is only in PDF form but I have just received it, only three euros.
I am sure it is available to all but I don't yet know how you get it. Hopefully one of the locals will post details here. Mike

Hi Dave, going back to your photo of the possible Honey buzzard, it was confirmed as such last night so well done, a very early record. Mike

Hi Martin do you now what worm can it be?
It was very big, almost 9-10 cm. (you can compare with the big ant on its loan) and it was in a pine tree in Cap Salines.
Thank you

Attachments

• 01cuc.jpg
    01cuc.jpg
    913.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
It was a fabulous event and the great news is that for the first time, the bird report is available in English! It is only in PDF form but I have just received it, only three euros.
I am sure it is available to all but I don't yet know how you get it. Hopefully one of the locals will post details here. Mike

Hello,
yes, we are now preparing the best way to implement the system to distribute the new "Balearic Bird Report" or BBR, with the most interesting news and dates of the last year.
When we have implemented it, probably Paypal, I will announce here, in the pic you can see the catalan AOB in paper (the classic one) and the new BBR on a tablet.
We hope it would be useful and you like it.

Attachments

• els2.jpg
    els2.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Hello,
yes, we are now preparing the best way to implement the system to distribute the new "Balearic Bird Report" or BBR, with the most interesting news and dates of the last year.
When we have implemented it, probably Paypal, I will announce here, in the pic you can see the catalan AOB in paper (the classic one) and the new BBR on a tablet.
We hope it would be useful and you like it.

I know I'll be buying it when it's available. I look forward to it and I'm sure lots of other people will too.

Rach

Thanks Pep, it is all great news for Mallorca. It is such a fabulous Island to go birding and I am glad others think so too. The birding scene here is now much more active and growing all the time. It is great to be part of all the changes. Mike

Hi Martin do you now what worm can it be?
It was very big, almost 9-10 cm. (you can compare with the big ant on its loan) and it was in a pine tree in Cap Salines.
Thank you

Hi Pep
Yes, this is the larva (oruga) of Dendrolimus pini (in the UK known as the Pine Tree Lappet) - it feeds on the leaves of various species of Pinus. It produces a large moth.
Best wishes
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back