• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2016 (2 Viewers)

Hi Andrew. Intermediate type Booted Eagles seem very rare, I too have only ever seen one. The vast majority seem to be pale morph. I don't know the numbers but it would be interesting to log all records, which I will now do, just to see the percentages. Mike

Thanks also for your Blue tit record. I am keeping a note of all sightings away from their traditional mountain haunts. They are not thought to occur away outside the north but I have two records here in the south. I intend to produce a map of all sightings.
Hi Ben Nevis, thanks for all your reports, I hope you have had a great time. Give our love to Bonnie Scotland. Mike

Hello to all. I've just returned from a 10 day stay in Port de Pollenca, a family holiday which did not stop me from getting out birding a fair bit. I visited the Boquer Valley and S'Albufereta a number of times, and walked the small roads inland between those two sites, all the way to Pollenca old town (including the walk up to Puig de Maria).

All the usual suspects were seen, but thought that these additional observations might be of interest:

Quail - one singing 1km inland from S'Albufereta on 18th.
Grey Heron - a single at S'Albufereta on 14th (only one seen, don't know it's status on the island)
Common Sandpiper - single at S'Albufereta on 19th
Green Sandpiper - single at S'Albufereta on 14th
Blue Tit - Puig de Maria on 18th

I saw four 'starlings' (in silhouette) on wires at S'Albufereta on 19th. I would be appreciative of any indication as to the status of Spotless and Common at this time of year. Also, can anybody recommend the best place to obtain up to date information on the status of the birds on the island? Thanks!

I was pleased to record 21 species of butterfly, including Lang's Short-tailed Blue, Two-tailed Pasha, Striped Grayling and Plain Tiger. 3 Palm Moths (Paysandisia archon) along the Boquer Valley were spectacular. However, it was the Violet Carpenter Bees that stole the show. Images can be seen here:

http://northdownsandbeyond.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/a-majorcan-picture-post.html

I am currently reading this thread from the start, and my eyes have been opened to what an all-year round birding haven the island is. My previous visits have all been in June - Aug, but I am sorely tempted to return this autumn!

Good birding!

Hi Steven
Yes, P. archon is a real pest, along with the accidentally introduced Asian Palm Weevil. P. archon is from South America in the family Castniidae. Your records from the Boquer are particularly worrying as they may have bred on the local endemic dwarf palm, the palmetto, which itself is under pressure. You did quite well with your butterfly list as there are relatively few on the island (44 at the last count, but that includes some dubious records).
One place for current status would be the Balearic Bird Report, which is published now in English (http://www.gobmallorca.com/informa-t/publicacions/content/347-ornitologia)
Martin

Thanks for that Martin.
Butterfly numbers were quite disappointing, with large numbers being seen only at a run of roadside brambles somewhere NW of Alcudia (mainly Long-tailed Blues) and at a Lucerne (?) field at the bottom of Puig de Maria (mostly Common Blue). I had hoped to find Southern Hermit (I didn't) but had no idea where they occur on the island.
Kind regards,
Steve

I had hoped to find Southern Hermit (I didn't) but had no idea where they occur on the island.
Kind regards,
Steve
Hi Steve
There is only one dubious record of a single Chazara prieuri from Mallorca and Fernández-Rubio (1991) stated that it required confirmation. As far as I am aware, it's never been confirmed (Pons 2000 also omits it). I have it on my list but as a dubious record.
My main interest in the Balearic Islands is the moth fauna - but I include the butterflies as being an integral part of the Lepidoptera. The moth fauna is a lot more diverse and interesting.
ps re your blog post abut archon, there are at least 2 records of it in the UK. I id'd the first one from a garden in W. Sussex but there was a second record of nine adults in the atrium of an office building in West Malling, Kent. The moths had emerged from four 5 m tall Phoenix canariensis palms that had been imported from Spain in October 2006.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Back home In Aberdeen now but yesterday,I had a single Eleonoras Falcon off the cliffs at Formentor Lighthouse.Seen from the water while doing a Boat Trip.Another great fortnight on a great Island and hope to return again next year and hopefully meet up with a fully fit Mr Montier.Get well soon Mike.

Missing the place already. :-C

Hi Steven. Thank you for the records. Grey heron used to be a winter visitor and they mostly still are. In recent years, summering birds seem to be on the increase although I don't know why.
Common and Green sandpiper are not too unusual.
The Starlings were Spotless I feel sure. The massive numbers of wintering Common starling all depart in spring and don't return just yet. There are however a few records of Common in the summer and I believe there was a breeding record a couple of years ago of Common and Spotless inter breeding. It would be hard to be certain but I would say given the location, that your birds were Spotless.
Thanks for the Blue tit record, I will keep a note of it. Mike

Thanks Ben Nevis, so glad you had a great time, don't worry, I will be fully fit next year!
Do keep in touch and let me know how those wonderful Golden Eagles are getting on in Scotland. Mike

Some evidence of migration with groups of Common swift moving through, some Marsh harrier and a group of seven raptors, possibly Black kite. Let the show begin! Mike

I have just received news that the area of Son Bosc is to be included in the protected area of s'Albufera, thus saving it for the future. It was under threat of becoming a golf course. So nice to get some good news. It is a wonderful area for orchids, hunting Eleanora's Falcons, Larks and Pipits. Butterflies and moths are good too. Bee-eaters breed and Harriers quarter the area. Congratulations to all those people who worked so hard to achieve this. Mike

I have just received news that the area of Son Bosc is to be included in the protected area of s'Albufera, thus saving it for the future. It was under threat of becoming a golf course. So nice to get some good news. It is a wonderful area for orchids, hunting Eleanora's Falcons, Larks and Pipits. Butterflies and moths are good too. Bee-eaters breed and Harriers quarter the area. Congratulations to all those people who worked so hard to achieve this. Mike

Just read this on twitter.Fantastic news.

Excellent news Mike. I remember the controversy years ago (it must be almost ten years now) when they overturned the refusal of permission for the golf course and it looked as if all was lost.

Maybe now they'll tear down the security fences. It used to be my prime spot for stone curlew and tawny pipit on my visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back