• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (21 Viewers)

On Thursday 6th April saw a Pallid Harrier at Albufereta from the first tower. These are a couple of photos of the harrier.

Arrived now back in sunny Yorkshire after a great week in Mallorca meeting fellow birders and some good birds - did think migration was "quite slow" though and not as many passerines as I'd have expected?

Not sure what others think?

Attachments

• pallid 4.jpg
    pallid 4.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 109
  • pallid 5.jpg
    pallid 5.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 101
  • pallid 6.jpg
    pallid 6.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 69
  • pallid 7.jpg
    pallid 7.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 79
  • pallid 9.jpg
    pallid 9.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 94
Saw a couple of Flamingoes at Albufereta this afternoon. They were in the pools to the north of the water area. We were on the inland side (back lanes), having walked down the track at the crest of the hill by the fenced orchard on the back road...Hoping to see them again and will report back if we do.

We're staying not far from there, in a villa just by 'smelly river'. Only just arrived yesterday, but have explored around here a bit. Woodchat Shrikes, lots of Cattle Egrets and a Booted Eagle over Albufereta. Bocquer tomorrow!

Any recommendations in the north of the island anyone? We'll be doing S'Albufera several times (obviously!), a walk around the Cuber reservoir, and the woodland/beach place just past C'an Picafort that I can't remember the name of right now :D Is there a Scops Owl in Port de Pollensa this year?

Enjoy your time in mallorca Branwen. I'm there in 3weeks time staying not far from albufera so keep the reports coming. Doesnt seem to be any scops owls yet. Lots of good reports from fellow birders on here tho. Debbie

Last edited:
GGshrike - roughly what time did you see the a pallid harrier on the 6th ?
Today - had bee-eater over the villa; and the a water pipit from C'an Curassa (Albufereta) but no sign of any spotless starlings

Nice to see the pictures of the Pallid Harrier- it was far too quick for my Panasonic Lumix- but I did get a picture of the Jack Snipe! Today a slow start with family taking precedence- but then a drive through Le Pla down to Felanitx where we were held up by a road closure for a triathlon. Allowed through by the Guardia Civil eventually we went up to the superb viewpoint of San Salvador from where you can see most of the island, and today the views were great in the clear weather. Birds were disappointing though- Sparrows, a Kestrel and two Great Tits. So down to Porto Colom and more hold-ups with a diversion along a very narrow side street and lanes to avoid the running stage of the triathlon. S'Algar bay was as beautiful as ever, and the birds somewhat better with a few Thekla Larks, Linnets, Stonechats and a nice raft of Scopoli's Shearwaters about 400 metres offshore, but no Balearics with them. Dave Gosney says he finds this an easy site to see Balearic Warbler, but I have never connected, possibly due to only being able to get there in mid-afternoon. Back via the tricky back street diversion which brought an unexpected view of a First-summer Night Heron sitting in broad daylight out in the middle of a dry storm drainage channel. Back to Can Cuarassa- no sign of the Crake but I did get the Great White Egret in the first pond on the right, and the usual Stilts and LRPs. Lastly there were dogs barking in the sky above our Hotel, until I informed my wife that they were in fact a group of Night Herons migrating North! As to the state of migration, it does seem slow, possibly due to days of winds with a Northerly or Easterly component/ there has not been a single day of W or S winds since we arrived on 1st April. Hugh Matthews

Hi guys,

Arrived in Mallorca today for the first time! We're staying in a villa on the north edge of Pollensa, looking out towards Serra de sa Font and Ternelles. Within a few minutes we had 4 Black Vultures to the north along with a Red Kite, and a pale morph Booted Eagle overhead. Also a brief Hoopoe in the garden.

This evening we walked into Pollensa itself and a Scops Owl was calling loudly along the main road into Pollensa from the east and it was being answered by another from further away. I may be able to upload a sound recording once we get back. Also at least one Stone Curlew calling.

Cheers,

Jonny F

Edit: A video of the Scops Owl calling can now be found on my Twitter feed here: https://twitter.com/jonathanfarooqi/status/851309924512538624

Last edited:
DaveG466 (and others!)
Re: Records.
I have always filled out forms for my records from the Spanish authorities, SEO but GOB also have forms on their website and it is possible to submit them in English I believe.
I send my annual records, e.g. first dates, maximum numbers etc, direct to Carles.
If one of the locals, i.e. Pep or Maties reads this, could they please let us know where visiting birders should best send their records? I am never quite sure which one they favour. Or perhaps anyone else could help?
Many thanks, Mike (saw Pileated Woodpecker today in Virginia)

Great photos ggshrike, no mistaking that one! I seem to be missing some great birds, thanks again everyone for your reports, much appreciated, Mike

Hi HughM, Balearic warblers are much harder to see at this time of the year, possibly because they are on eggs. They show really well in February which isn't helpful for most visiting birders.
I know that the Moltoni's are much easier a bit later when they can be seen busily feeding the young, particularly at Cuber reservoir. Balearics get easier too. I hope all birders manage to catch up with this little skulker. Good luck. Mike

Postage Stamp wood is still intact despite some development nearby and the by-pass which was constructed some years ago.Regulars were rightly annoyed and word went round that it had been destroyed. This is not so, it is still good but for these reasons it is largely ignored by birders. It's a shame because it is still very good for passerines, particularly flycatchers. Mike

hello all been staying in Pto Pollensa ( Llenaire end) since Sunday - good to be back. Been to a few sites - nothing exceptional but nice variety. Most notable things:
Llenaire road; 4 Bee Eaters yesterday eve & common sand on stream there
Can Cuarassa: GW Egret and Night Heron on first pool
Albufereta Tower: 2 Purple Swamphen, the grey hybrid Reef Heron Ive read about, 4 Purple Heron, 2 Willow Warbler singing nearby ( Ian good to meet you today)
Puig Sta Maria had good views of Wryneck which was calling a lot about third of way up zig zag path. Also firecrest and crossbills there
Will report what I see as much as decidedly dodgy apartment wifi allows !
Chris

Weather looks warm and sunny for the next week or so. Lots of birds should be on the move but suspect no big falls. Arriving tomorrow night and can't wait to see some sun and lovely Med wildlife!

Highlights today
- S'Albufera (reserve centre area): little bittern (2), great crested grebe, wood sandpiper (25), green sandpiper (5), ruff (2), little stint (3), spotted redshank (20), avocet (2), marbled teal (3), moustached warbler (several singing), reed warbler (2), reed bunting (1 male), woodchat shrike

- the Mirador (Formentor) - crag martin and blue rock thrush

- pollenca: 2 black vulture over the villa

A very warm day today with clear blue skies- so what is going over without stopping? A bit disappointing in the places I went to, possibly because of the heat- the birds were keeping low this afternoon. At Can Cuarassa this morning I spent some time at the second pool but no sign of a Crake. The Stilts have eggs on the left hand pool and the LRPs are in territorial dispute. At least one Nightingale has arrived back near the entrance. THis afternoon on to the Boquer with again not much about except the Booted Eagles and a few Ravens, although I heard a BRThrush and some Wrens. At the end plateau before the drop to the cove I was in prime Balearic Warbler territory but no sign of any. Whilst having dinner in the hotel this evening a major arrival of hirundines was apparent, so the switch to a light westerly breeze has had an effect. I then went out for a night walk round the by-pass to the Llenaire Road, but no sght or sound of any owls, but some Stone Curlews were calling. There were even a few moths flying and the cicadas were noisy. Tomorrow my wife has decided we will go to Deia and Port de Soller, so we shall see what transpires. Hugh Matthews

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back