• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2017 (23 Viewers)

I heard a Cuckoo calling this morning in Felanitx, a late date.
Afterwards, I went to the Castel de Santuari also in Felanitx, where there were at least eight Alpine swift around the castle. The weather was poor so I believe there are probably more. Evenings are the best time when the whole group scream around together. In a while, the young will be with them which is quite a sight. As far as I know Alpine swift only breed here and at Arta.
Tonight I went to see the European Nightjars in my local park at Mondrago. I heard two but will go nearer the breeding site tomorrow where I usually see four or five flying, one of the year's highlights for me.

One of my favourite threads of BirdForum.

I am due out in Mallorca in just over 3 weeks time for a fortnight, staying in Puerto Pollensa. Time will be limited for birding with a young family so can anyone recommend a reliable site for Moltoni's Warbler in the northeast of the island.

Will post my (meagre) sightings on here

Hi Phil
Glad you enjoy the thread and I'm pleased you are coming to Mallorca.
Some great birds being seen as you can see from recent posts.
I only know of one reliable site for Moltoni's Warbler; Cuber reservoir.
Not sure if you have transport but somebody posted details of how to get there by bus, I will try to find it.
From the small car park, walk down the left hand side with the reservoir on your right. About two-thirds of the way down to the dam, just where there is a bend in the path, Moltoni's can be see either side of the track on the bushes or the small trees to the right. Their call is very distinctive, quite unlike Sub-alpine. Good luck and do let me know if there is anything else you want to see and I will try to help. Let us know! Mike

Hi Phil
Glad you enjoy the thread and I'm pleased you are coming to Mallorca.
Some great birds being seen as you can see from recent posts.
I only know of one reliable site for Moltoni's Warbler; Cuber reservoir.
Not sure if you have transport but somebody posted details of how to get there by bus, I will try to find it.
From the small car park, walk down the left hand side with the reservoir on your right. About two-thirds of the way down to the dam, just where there is a bend in the path, Moltoni's can be see either side of the track on the bushes or the small trees to the right. Their call is very distinctive, quite unlike Sub-alpine. Good luck and do let me know if there is anything else you want to see and I will try to help. Let us know! Mike

Many thanks Mike - will be hiring a car so that will make things a tad easier

Hello everyone,
I am off with the rest of my family to Mallorca in early July (not ideal I know, has to fit in to school holidays). We went during the same period in 2015 and it was a complete hit, so we decided to come back. We will be based in Puerto Pollensa & I am already aware of most of the famous birding sites in that region, but I just have a few questions about certain bits & bobs.

It was very interesting to read about this Western Reef Egret: would be a very good lifer for me & I trust this thread will keep everyone posted. Hope it sticks...

There are also three birds which I missed in 2015 which I'd like to address; these are Scops Owl, Common Waxbill & Balearic Shearwater. Just how easy are these birds in July? I know we are very late with regards to the shearwaters, though we did have Scopoli's last year in early July. Also don't know whereabouts in Albufera the waxbills like to frequent: I know that a Lithuanian birder saw them along the perimeter path many years ago but not sure whether that information is up to date.

I understand that a viewpoint was constructed at Albufereta at some point between our last visit & now, so directions to that would be much appreciated as we very much liked that reserve when we went.

Many thanks for all your help,
Luke

Hi Luke
The only place I have seen the Waxbills is at the back of s'Albufera. The track is called Cami des Polls. If you enter from the powerstation road you need to walk all the way to the far end of the track where there's a spring (near Sa Font on the map https://www.taib.info/old/about.html#map). I've seen/heard them there.
If you know s'Albufereta, the tower platform is just to the right of the field behind the pines, near the quarried area where the mirror orchids grow (i.e. the 'normal' entrance to s'Albufereta).
I hope this makes sense.
Martin

Hi Luke. I haven't heard any news of the Western Reef Heron for a few days. If there are any reports, they will be on this thread. I am going to Albufera next Wednesday so I will ask around. It was seen from Sa Roca hide.
Balearic Shearwaters are mostly seen from the east coast so a trip there would be your best bet if you can manage that. Punta de n'Amer is a good place. I have seen records of July birds.
The depuradora is also worth a visit for Bee-eaters, Short-toed larks and Tawny pipits. It's a great place anyway. Albufereta is much improved and Martin has given directions to the new tower.
You just never know in July as there are some returning waders and summer visitors are still around with young.
I wish you luck. Let us know if there are any other species you want to see. If you can get into the mountains then you have a good chance of vultures. Also, the Boquer Valley may be worth a visit, Egyptian vultures are being seen there, a very scarce bid. Mike

18th - 25th May

Hi all,

A bit delayed but we were in Majorca 18th-25th May and finally getting around to doing our pictures and blog (NSL-Birding) A detail two-part blog will be up by the weekend with pictures aswell.

Thought we would do a post on here, as this kept us informed before and during our stay and helped us alot!

A break-down of what we seen, 82 total species!

S'Albufera (Over 6 days)
Spotted Flycatcher, Nightingale, Great Reed Warbler, Hoopoe, Crested Coot (with chicks), Purple Swamphen, Stone Curlew, Black-Winged Stilts, Little Stint, Kentish Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Purple Heron, Cattle Egret, Spoonbill, Great White Egret, Serin, Spotted Redshank, Eleonora's Falcon, Greenfinch, Cetti's Warbler, Glossy Ibis, Common Tern, Avocet, Booted Eagle, Pure Reef Heron/Egret, Collared Pranticole, Marbled Duck, Linnet, Golden Eagle (Escapee), Marsh Harrier, Osprey, Woodchat Shrike, Squacco Heron, Night Heron, Sardinian Warbler and all the usual suspects.

S'Albufereta (Over 2 days)
Peregrine Falcon, Kestrel, Booted Eagle, Marsh Harrier, Purple Heron, Black-Winged Stilts, Eleonora's Falcon, Yellow Wagtail, Corn Bunting, Stonechat, Night Heron

Can Cuarassa (Over 2 days)
Yellow Wagtail, Kentish Plover

Son Bosc (Early Morning)
10 Bee Eater, Golden Eagle (Escapee), Woodchat Shrike

Boquer Valley (Morning) Quiet!
Yellow-Legged Gull, Booted Eagle, Sardinian Warbler

La Victoria
Firecrest (a few)

The Night Heron at S'Albufera was spotted below the Egret nests, eating what we believe was a Cattle Egret chick, took it a while but it got there in the end and swallowed it whole!

We didn't actually know we had the Reef Egret until we seen a tweet after our first day, where we actually photographed the bird but as it was into the light we had assumed Purple Heron. We made a effort to return and it paid off!

Plenty of pictures to come shortly on our blog (Newton-St-Loe Birding)
If anyone would like more images, information or locations feel free to let us know.

Best Wishes!

Attachments

• © Lauren Tucker Photography-7915.jpg
    © Lauren Tucker Photography-7915.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 87
  • © Lauren Tucker Photography-8872.jpg
    © Lauren Tucker Photography-8872.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 114
  • © Lauren Tucker Photography-9021.jpg
    © Lauren Tucker Photography-9021.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 69
  • © Lauren Tucker Photography-8457.jpg
    © Lauren Tucker Photography-8457.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 82
  • snapp.3r@hotmail.com (404 of 348).jpg
    [email protected] (404 of 348).jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Hello from la Gola,
here you have the birds seen in the park in the last 15 days.
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

La Gola is getting quieter but there are still some locals which are nice to see before going to the other birding sites.

Some tips to enjoy your birding walks in Summer: better early morning or late afternoon, if you are going to spend all day birding be sure to bring enough water and some fruit, hat and sunscreen protection. Some birds are still nesting, so keep your distance from nests.

In the Ornithological Tourism Centre you will find more information about birds and birding sites.
We are in the Port de Pollença, next to Buda bar and Tolo's Restaurant.
In June the Centre is open from Monday to Saturday, from 8:00 to 13:00h.
Best regards and good birding,
Cristina.

Hi Luke
The only place I have seen the Waxbills is at the back of s'Albufera. The track is called Cami des Polls. If you enter from the powerstation road you need to walk all the way to the far end of the track where there's a spring (near Sa Font on the map https://www.taib.info/old/about.html#map). I've seen/heard them there.
If you know s'Albufereta, the tower platform is just to the right of the field behind the pines, near the quarried area where the mirror orchids grow (i.e. the 'normal' entrance to s'Albufereta).
I hope this makes sense.
Martin

Brilliant, Martin, thanks for that: would be a lifer for me.

Balearic Shearwaters are mostly seen from the east coast so a trip there would be your best bet if you can manage that. Punta de n'Amer is a good place. I have seen records of July birds.
I wish you luck. Let us know if there are any other species you want to see. If you can get into the mountains then you have a good chance of vultures. Also, the Boquer Valley may be worth a visit, Egyptian vultures are being seen there, a very scarce bid. Mike

Many thanks Mike- Balearic Shearwater is a long overdue lifer for me

Hi Luke
Martin
Have found where you're talking about; many thanks Martin.

Just a note that there appears to be a way to get in there from the south, 3.8km after the entrance to the Depuradora: 3km after the Depuradora there is a roundabout type junction, 800m beyond that, where the road curves round to the right, there is a crossroads: if you turn right here, you should be on the 'Cami Vell de Societat Anonima Font de Son'. 550 metres up this road, there is a track off to the left where there is a signpost with a red '3' pointing off towards it. There looks to be enough parking space here for 1 car without blocking the road, so park here if possible & then walk along the track until you reach the spring that Martin mentions.

Hope this information is useful. Thanks go to Google Maps!
Luke

Hi Luke
I hope this makes sense.
Martin

Hi All
We're on a family holiday but try to get some birding in before breakfast each day. On Wed 31 May we visited the deporadura and had a pair of Common Waxbills in the Tamarisk on the left-hand side of the main pool looking from the viewing platform. Worth looking out for when there in case it's not just a random sighting. Also saw a Gull-billed Tern here.

We're staying in Cala San Vicente and have heard Nightjar and Scops to the left of Ave Cavall Bernat (Ma2203) as you enter Cala, every evening around 9.30.

Regards
Don

Have found where you're talking about; many thanks Martin.

Just a note that there appears to be a way to get in there from the south, 3.8km after the entrance to the Depuradora: 3km after the Depuradora there is a roundabout type junction, 800m beyond that, where the road curves round to the right, there is a crossroads: if you turn right here, you should be on the 'Cami Vell de Societat Anonima Font de Son'. 550 metres up this road, there is a track off to the left where there is a signpost with a red '3' pointing off towards it. There looks to be enough parking space here for 1 car without blocking the road, so park here if possible & then walk along the track until you reach the spring that Martin mentions.

Hope this information is useful. Thanks go to Google Maps!
Luke

Hi Luke,

I've visited that end of the Cami des Polls a couple of times, but didn't realise that waxbills were possible there - do let us know how you get on. The track is really good for dragon and damselflies and would be worth walking if you have time. At the power station end ( which I've visited several times) where the dyke widens out I've seen several violet drop wings holding territory, and on the other side of the track in July I've had black pennant. Lots of commoner Odonata along the dyke, but including small reds and small red-eyed damsels and scarlet dragonflies. I've also found the power station end to be the best place for squacco herons. It used to be a quiet part of the reserve, but it seems to have been discovered by off-road cyclists, so watch your backs!

Good luck!

Stew

To honeym

Hi Martin, can you please help with this moth. I found it in a Vienna park and haven't been able to identify it.

Regards Kevin

gait barrows 019 (640x403).jpg

I went to the lighthouse in Porto Petro hoping to see Storm petrel returning to Cabrera this evening but no joy.
Still good numbers of Shearwaters though, about 350 Balearic and 50 Scopoli's. All were going towards Cabrera except one which was going the wrong way. There's always one.
Also a dolphin breaching and a large fish leaping out of the water in the distance. I seem to remember seeing swordfish doing this. Mike

Last edited:
Luke

Let me know what dates you are in Puerto de Pollensa and I will let you have the details of what I see (I'm out 26th June to 8th July). Will post here but probably most likely on Twitter first.

Rüppell's Vulture

Hello,
Dev Foster (I hope I have written the correct name) saw yesterday morning a Rüppell's Vulture in Cúber Reservoir. So be aware if you are in the surroundings, just in case!!
Regards,
Cristina.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back