• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

Had a really fruitfull day at Portocolom today. During midday I went to search at the known Gosney site for Balearic warblers. After a couple of hours in the burning sun I managed to locate one that quickly perched and called a few times. Meanwhile, many Sardinian Warblers and Stonechats were asking for attention. On the way back I located two Thekla Larks which were showing quite well. During 7 pm and some nice swimming I tried again for warblers and immediately found 3 ex. in front of the path. They were showing really well. Flushed a Hoopoe here as well and 4 Pallid Swifts were flying by.
On the way home at around 10 pm I stopped the scooter on a road through a vineyard and made two whistles. After a short wait and about to restart and drive off, two Eurasian Scops Owls started replying! Unfortunatly, they were too far from the road to see them, they still remain a notorious heard only for me. All in all, awesome birding day! Listing to calling Stone-curlews atm! Locations can be found on observado.

Glad you had a good day diedert and glad you got the warbler, they are not so easy at this time of the year.
Scops owls are so often heard but not seen. They sometimes hunt around the streetlights which attract moths and other insects.
Martin. I have another friend who has been photographing moths for the last year but didn’t realise that I wanted him to send them to me! He has therefore accumulated quite a collection. They will all come at once so I will find a way to send them to you. Mike

Glad you had a good day diedert and glad you got the warbler, they are not so easy at this time of the year.
Scops owls are so often heard but not seen. They sometimes hunt around the streetlights which attract moths and other insects.
Martin. I have another friend who has been photographing moths for the last year but didn’t realise that I wanted him to send them to me! He has therefore accumulated quite a collection. They will all come at once so I will find a way to send them to you. Mike
Hi Mike
That's great, epsecially if they have a locality & date.
Please use something like Dropbox or WeTransfer and I'll do my best to provide ids.
Best wishes
Martin

Quick question: does anyone know what would be a good place to watch the blood moon on the island? Not sure where the line of sight to the southeast would be good.
Turned out, our hotel had a nice big window with full view!

Last edited:
Thanks Patrick. I didn’t realise that breeding had been confirmed so thanks for the information. I get so many messages in Spanish and my translation skills are still limited so I must admit, I sometimes give up half way through reading them.
Good to know a few pairs are here, Mike

Some information on Common Buzzard, as explained in the last few books on the Birds of Mallorca:

Common Buzzard breeds actually in low numbers (5-10 pairs) in Mallorca, in the municipalities of Marratxí, Llucmajor, Esporles, Puigpunyent, Calvià and Campanet (amb maybe too in Campos, Santanyí, Felanitx or even Santa Maria). From the book "Cuándo y dónde ver aves en Baleares".

I attach the distribution map of the Common Buzzard in Mallorca (extracted from the book "Aus/Aves de Mallorca", http://birdingmajorca.com/en/books/aus-avesdemallorca.html), yellow colour represent places where can be easily seen as a migrant, green colour places where the species is all year round (so breeding there too), and red colour where is seen only during breeding time, but not in winter. Mortitx is a new location!

Hope it helps!

Attachments

• 053C-ButBut.pdf
    11.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thank you very much Maties.
Many of us are waiting for your book to be translated into English.
Any ideas when this may be available?
Mike

Thank you very much Maties.
Many of us are waiting for your book to be translated into English.
Any ideas when this may be available?
Mike

Mike, the book "Cúando y dónde ver aves en Baleares", probably will not be translated into English. But we are going to translate the last one, "Aus/Aves de Mallorca". We are working on it, and we hope that next year will be finished.

Anyway, for the ones that can't wait, the spanish version is very easy to understand by everybody, because there is for each species a lot of visual information, full-coloured (e.g: distribution maps and phenological diagrams, and of course very nice pictures made by Sebastià Torrens and other fantastic local photographers).

Last edited:
An evening walk tonight at the salt pans, Salobrar de Campos.
It was still too hot really but a slight breeze helped.
Flamingo numbers are building up, I counted 165 and there was another small group hidden, so I guess a total of around 200 birds.
3 Curlew and lots of young birds around, Redshank, Avocet and Black-winged stilts.
Good numbers of young Linnet and Yellow wagtail too.
A few Marsh Harrier, two Common Kestrel and a Red Kite.
Thousands of Barn swallows, some on the telegraph wires being fed still by adults.
Good numbers of Common Swift too, about 100.
Mike

A really small moth today in my apartment, not a good photo but enough for an ID I hope. Mike

Attachments

• 2DAB226B-79C6-4BF6-B9C9-E949F8B1179A.jpg
    2DAB226B-79C6-4BF6-B9C9-E949F8B1179A.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 25
Hi Mike
It's still quite a big moth. They get MUCH smaller than that.
This is Pyralis farinalis the meal moth. So called because of its preference for milled cereals, etc.
I once went for a tour of an old estate house somewhere in Mallorca and the kitchen ceiling was absolutely covered in them - they'd been feeding on the stored almonds, beans, figs, etc.
You may need to check your kitchen cupboards for signs of larvae (although they're not as bad as the Indian meal moth, Plodia interpunctella).

Martin

Thanks for the warning Martin. All our cereals, pulses and grains are stored in kilner jars as we have learnt that if left open, they get invaded by all sorts of insects, mostly weevils I believe.
Even more heat here today so not much birding, just a few evenings trips.
Ps. I remember visiting the information centre at Albufera and you showed me some micro moths under the microscope. I can still see that moth in my mind, it looked like it had been sewn together with fine gold thread. That was a defining moment, the time when I realised how amazing moths can be.
Mike

Last edited:
Yes, some of the micros are the most beautiful - if you can get up close and personal. Here's one of my favourites. Euchromius anapiellus.

Attachments

• DSCN3291 Euchromius.jpg
    DSCN3291 Euchromius.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
La Gola Birdlist

Good morning,
In this link you can have a look to the last birdlist of la Gola Park.
https://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-listado-de-aves-llistat-d-aus/

A heat wave is comming, so it is a very good idea to put some water in your terraces, balconies, gardens to help the birds and wildlife in general. A small plate with water in the shade and away from dogs and cats can be enough.B :)

For a safe birdwatching, stay in cool places especially between 11 am and 6 pm, use hat and sunscreen and be sure you have enough water.

Regards,
Cristina.

Thanks for the advice Cristina.
I didn’t think it could get any hotter but today I went to the central plain. The whole countryside is scorched brown and dry as dust. A short walk! Booted eagles, Marsh Harrier and lots of Red kites in evidence. The latter species is doing really well on the Island.
I have been dreaming about a long walk in the Scottish highlands.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back