• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

March Moths - 2015 (1 Viewer)

MSA

I may be relaxed but I'm not drunk....
Assumed it would be too cold for the trap tonight, but a Dotted Border on the kitchen window thought otherwise!

Forecast was for low of 5c so gave the trap a go - obviously much colder, with iced-up car suggesting 0c, and nothing in trap, but an Agonopterix ocellana on the wall was new for me so worth the effort.

Two Common Quaker on the inside walls of the trap this morning, but I haven't had time to go through the boxes yet...

I've only had 2 moths this year, a White-shouldered House-moth in January and a new one for me, Mompha epilobiella a couple of nights ago in the lounge.

Put the trap out last night but nothing took.

Nige

Pretty happy with last night:

Hebrew Character - 3 (pic)
Common Quaker - 2
Chestnut - 1 (pic)
Dotted Border - 1 (pic)
Amblyptilia acanthadactyla - 1

2015 moth total now at 15!

Attachments

• Hebrew Character 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    Hebrew Character 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    340.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Chestnut 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    Chestnut 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    214.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Dotted Border 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    Dotted Border 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Various spring moths 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    Various spring moths 20150305 - Copy.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 66
Trapping overnight at the London Wetland Centre (Barnes), the first session for the year, produced:
2 Dotted Border Agriopis marginaria
11 Common Quaker Orthosia cerasi
3 Clouded Drab Orthosia incerta
3 Oak Beauty Biston strataria
2 Agonopterix heracliana
plus 2 Mompha jurassicella in one of the hides
Martin

I'm ashamed to say I ignored the leps on a recent Canaries trip but I may have an identifiable noctuid in the bill of a Tenerife Goldcrest when I've finished processing my photos.

February is currently moth-less as a result but March got under way this morning with Emmelina monodactyla, Depressaria daucella, Dotted Border, Common Quaker and Hebrew Character so the leps yearlist sits on 13.

All the best

Last night I popped out to some scrub on the North Kent Marshes but after 1.5 hrs only had 3 x Common Quakers, so I packed up and went home (it was too windy). I left trap on overnight at home and did little better:

1 x Common Quaker
1 x Hebrew Character
1 x Clouded Drab (pic)

2015 moths now at 16!

Cheers,

Andy M

Attachments

• Clouded Drab 20150307.JPG
    Clouded Drab 20150307.JPG
    520.5 KB · Views: 60
A step in the right direction last night -

Pale Pinion
Chestnut x 2
Hebrew Character
Agonopterix heracliana

London Wetland Centre, Barnes (Saturday night):
2 Oak Beauty
13 Common Quaker
2 Hebrew Character
2 March moth
2 Clouded Drab
1 Chestnut
2 Agonopteris heracliana
2 Acleris ferrugana
Martin

Double figures last night -
Common Quaker 10
Double-striped Pug 4
Hebrew Character
Pine Beauty
Depressaria daucella 2

19 moths last night. 14 Common Quaker and one each of Clouded Drab, Small Quaker, March Moth, Dotted Border and a Small Brindled Beauty.

Lewis

A few year-ticks - Early Grey, Oak Beauty, Dotted Chestnut, Satellite, Double-striped Pug, March Moth & Clouded Drab - have taken the leps year-list to 20 species.

All the best

Among some common and expected species from a few nights ago was a single Cypress carpet Thera cupressata. It's been trapped before at this site but this seems to be a particularly early record.
Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back