• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moorhen with yellow beak, London WWT (4 Viewers)

I saw a Moorhen with an all-yellow bill at the LWT in about 2009 or 2010. Not sure how long-lived Moorhens are so I don't know if it was the same individual as either the OP from 2007 or the new bird, but presumably there is an aberrant gene in the local population. Nothing to indicate hybridisation with Coot (which has been recorded, but very rarely considering the abundance of both species) - it was identical to the normal-billed Moorhen next to it apart from lacking red on the bill.

I spotted a moorhen with an entirely yellow beak today whilst at the London Wetland Centre
in Barnes. Discovering these posts from 2007 (as a top hit on Google for ‘moorhen with yellow beak’) feels quite incredible.

Attachments

• 3B970F2C-E63A-4A16-A23F-8FAD274E77EC.jpeg
    3B970F2C-E63A-4A16-A23F-8FAD274E77EC.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
Hello Chris,

welcome to birdforum!

Yes, (old) threads from BF are regular ranked high by googles algorithms. As you soon will find out, many friendly, helpful and expert members here, writing excellent comments, that are helpful even after years (and deserve a big thank you once more). Therefore I agree with google (algorithm), an example of good AI in this case

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back