• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting bluetits (1 Viewer)

Hi I'm new here, birdlovinglady I'm looking for nesting answers. I have 2 nestboxes and have a Blue tit sitting on eggs,she first built her nest end of March,there were 2 other birds going to and fro with her, presumably 1 being her partner,then yesterday 27 April the other birds were mating and putting nesting in the other box! Surely this is too late in the season by the Time she lays and hatches her eggs?

Last edited:
Hi Birdlovinglady and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's not too late for them, depending where you are in England, the breeding season runs from April to June.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi I'm new here, birdlovinglady I'm looking for nesting answers. I have 2 nestboxes and have a Blue tit sitting on eggs,she first built her nest end of March,there were 2 other birds going to and fro with her, presumably 1 being her partner,then yesterday 27 April the other birds were mating and putting nesting in the other box! Surely this is too late in the season by the Time she lays and hatches her eggs?
Welcome to the forum!

Blue-Tits normally only have one brood per year, but late May isn't unknown for nesting, and some start late January. It can be an advantage for some birds to be slightly out of sync with others as it reduces peak competition for insects.

Hi Birdlovinglady and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It's not too late for them, depending where you are in England, the breeding season runs from April to June.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hello Delia Todd👋 thankyou for the reply just one other thing,I know the male helps with feeding and I'm pretty sure he is now with the 2 ND female and not going to the 1 st box, can he flit between the two?

Hello Delia Todd👋 thankyou for the reply just one other thing,I know the male helps with feeding and I'm pretty sure he is now with the 2 ND female and not going to the 1 st box, can he flit between the two?
This is rather complicated LOL. Generally they're monogamous, and pair for life. However, if there's a high breeding density, the males may become polygamous (see our Dictionary for an explanation of these terms: Dictionary P-S - BirdForum Opus).

The male feeds the female while she is incubating the eggs, then helps to feed the young after they've hatched.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back