• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New binoculars from leica (1 Viewer)

I'm still hoping that Leica does something really progressive to surprise us, like 95%+ transmission o/all via Perger prisms, and CFRP lightweight chassis :cat: ..... anything less will be most uninspiring in this day and age ......

CFRP chassis? Seriously, it's time to stop that kind of talk. Did you ever see what can happen to CF tripods when they take a hit, e.g. on rocks? And I'm not talking about cheap Chinese knockoffs, I'm talking about premium products.

CFPR chassis? No, thanks.

Hermann

CFRP chassis? Seriously, it's time to stop that kind of talk. Did you ever see what can happen to CF tripods when they take a hit, e.g. on rocks? And I'm not talking about cheap Chinese knockoffs, I'm talking about premium products.

CFPR chassis? No, thanks.

Hermann
Hey Hermann,

nahhh, ....... In best Donald Trump fashion, I reckon it's time to double down! :king:

I prefer to look to Lamborghinis, Ferraris, Boeing Dreamliners etc ..... With the idea being ---- don't crash 'em !!! 8-P

Besides, my dad's Carbon Fibre fishing rods seem to have been able to take decades of knocks here and there on the rocks without exploding into a million pieces :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

Why the excitement?
The glass sets the transmission limits and is an open market item.
So maybe a different prism arrangement or an open bridge design.
Just another PR exercise focused on a minute improvement in some secondary parameter.

I'm really put off by this.
We know what we would like, six sigma quality control so we could buy sight unseen, generous eye relief, a wider field of view, maybe someday actual innovation such as zoom or stabilized image. None of that is happening, except for a gain in FoV on the SF. This industry is stagnant and it shows.

I don't expect there will be 32mm versions to follow as finger real estate starts to get too thin on the ground by then and it just wouldn't make much sense ...... :brains:
The Swaro 8x32 is very nice - Leica could easily produce these and I think they would sell well.
We know what we would like, six sigma quality control so we could buy sight unseen, generous eye relief, a wider field of view, maybe someday actual innovation such as zoom or stabilized image. None of that is happening, except for a gain in FoV on the SF. This industry is stagnant and it shows.
Higher QC would surely result in price increases.

Do birders actually want heavy, stabilised bins?

Zoom binoculars are an unhappy compromise.

Last edited:
The Swaro 8x32 is very nice - Leica could easily produce these and I think they would sell well.

Higher QC would surely result in price increases.

Do birders actually want heavy, stabilised bins?

Zoom binoculars are an unhappy compromise.

I don't share those views.
The camera industry delivers better QC, lightweight stabilization and effective zoom for much less than alpha binocular prices.

The Swaro 8x32 is very nice - Leica could easily produce these and I think they would sell well......
There's no doubt that the x32 SV is a nice ergonomic package, however it is long for a 32mm in comparison to the Leica x32 UVHD+ , and the Zeiss x32 FL. I also find the focuser size of the x32 SV to be a little "dinky", and much prefer the size of the x50 SV in the hand overall, though even there I would prefer a larger Zen ED3, Zeiss HT/SF sized focuser. Of course I would much prefer something more like the weight of the x32 in the substantial x50 ! :-O

I think Leica will still seek to be the smallest form factor amongst it's competitors in this new open frame in terms of length - that's their chosen competitive niche, and that would make a 32mm too lacking in finger real estate for all but the smallest handed ..... and that's too small a market ;)

.... for all but the smallest handed ..... and that's too small a market ;)

Be careful - there's a political figure who seems quite sensitive about that... o:D
Please explaaaaaaiinn ?! :h?: :-O 8-P

Hahaha ...... I did consider the seeming illogical nonsense of what I was posting as I typed it, but the eggshell minefield of stereotyping was in danger of scrambling my brain, so I just went with it .... o:)

Wrong, its like the UV or wrong its not like the SV ?[/QUOTE

Not like................

But it is like....................

Or it could be like..................

1st day of bird fair will give you the answer.

No doubt, everyone will form their own opinion.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back