• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New member searching for compact 8x32 2-500 usd (1 Viewer)

jp9mm

United States
Hi everyone. Im looking to replace my old tasco 8x50 ( I think, it's old and sticky and I can't read model anymore)

I went into dicks and looked at their Nikon monarch 5 and compared it to the vortex db.
The salesman talked up the vortex with the warranty but after looking through both for 5-10 minutes I kinda preferred the Nikon. Felt easier to hold stable,clearer.

I also love a good deal. The kowa bd 2 looked like a great price for 279(but deal expired) also from reading here I feel like the monarch 7 would be a good choice but priced around 450 with no deals.

I will use these as all purpose. Something light to take every where and clear enough to enjoy looking through them.

Any thoughts or good places with deals?
Thanks in advance ☺️

Hi everyone. Im looking to replace my old tasco 8x50 ( I think, it's old and sticky and I can't read model anymore)

I went into dicks and looked at their Nikon monarch 5 and compared it to the vortex db.
The salesman talked up the vortex with the warranty but after looking through both for 5-10 minutes I kinda preferred the Nikon. Felt easier to hold stable,clearer.

I also love a good deal. The kowa bd 2 looked like a great price for 279(but deal expired) also from reading here I feel like the monarch 7 would be a good choice but priced around 450 with no deals.

I will use these as all purpose. Something light to take every where and clear enough to enjoy looking through them.

Thanks in advance ☺️
The Nikon Monarch 7 is a better glass than the Nikon Monarch 5.

Last edited:
Hi,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

My usual question is whether you will wear glasses when observing through the binoculars as the needed eye relief will rule out certain models, especially with 8x30 and smaller sizes.

On paper an 8x30 will be quite a bit less bright than an 8x50 pair... but since the 8x50 is old and probably single coated at best, things are not quite as bad. But expect to see significantly less in the new pair at dusk or dawn.

As for the M7 8x30 (which is not recommended with glasses), it is on sale at bhphotovideo for $430 plus shipping atm. Other options would be the Opticron Traveller BGA ED 8x32 (a close brother of the M7 despite the 2mm more aperture - a bit nicer and more eye relief for use with glasses) or the Opticron Verano BGA VHD 8x32 (made in Japan and a notch up in the optics department from the Traveller) - both are available below your $500 limit.

Here is review by Lee comparing the two Opticrons:

Another option would be to try to snag up a used pair from the 700-800 USD range, but of course availability varies and I would only recommend to do this either in person after having tested the pair, from a reputable store with a no questions asked return policy (make sure it also applies to used deals!) or from well known members here in the classifieds section.

There is a pair of Nikon E2 for $500 in the classifieds but being not waterproof and having not a lot of eye relief that is more like a pair for the connaisseur to enjoy in good weather with at least one waterproof pair to go kayaking with...

If you want to go used, you can ask here what people think about the options...

Joachim

If you have a Costco membership you can get the GPO passion ed for a very good price there. That would be my pick in this price range at the moment.

Another endorsement for the GPO Passion ED 8x32. Punches well above its price point. It is optically excellent, beautifully made (makes the rubber armour mold lines on my NL Pure look poor in comparison) and is excellent value.

Compared it last week against a Trinivod HD 8x32 which, whilst excellent, reinforced my opinion of the GPO as a cracking bit of kit.

I quite like my Meopta Meopro HD 8x32 "assembled in USA" (the newer ones are assembled in the Meopta factory in Czechia but I am not sure if they changed other specifications, like where the parts even come from). Nice and bright, fast focuser, wide field of view (8.3 degrees which is plenty), very low chromatic abberations ("color fringing"), magnesium housing.
Never looked through the Monarch 5 but my Nikon Prostaff P7 was a disappointment. Too much plastic. I prefer a magnesium or aluminum body.
Also -- the Monarch M5 8x42 has a 6.4° FoV. That might feel a little restricted.
One tip that I read here on the forum: don't buy a bino for the warranty.

Last edited:
More likely you have a Tasco 7x50; haven't heard of an 8x50 model. If so you're used to handling something of lower magnification, heavier and with a comparatively narrow apparent field of view cf a current 8x32. Not sure the Nikon model you mention is available in 32mm so guessing tested a 42mm model in Dick's Sporting Goods and perhaps same for Vortex? If so you probably need to get your hands on a few 32mm models to test. You have a decent budget so no need to buy sight unseen or bargain hunt :).

Thanks in advance ☺️
Monarch 5, 7 even better. Consider vortex Viper HD in the M7 Price category and made in the Philippines , not China. Can’t go wrong with a Kowa , Hawke makes some nice binoculars as well.

Don’t even think Cameraland 😵‍💫. Try B&H for great retail and service or Adaroma. Both of which can be trusted and returns with no questions asked.

Thanks for all the advice! So far i have a 8x30 monarch 7 & kowa bdII 8 x 32 on the way.
Im also tempted to pick up that GPO. I checked costco website but they only have a lower end GPO model.
I tend to collect things easily... i told my wife "5+" is a collection ... she said more than 2. I guess i can't buy more than 4 to keep my word :LOL:
Want to start with something compact i can take everywhere without saying "i don't want to carry that" and work my way up if needed.

More likely you have a Tasco 7x50; haven't heard of an 8x50 model. If so you're used to handling something of lower magnification, heavier and with a comparatively narrow apparent field of view cf a current 8x32. Not sure the Nikon model you mention is available in 32mm so guessing tested a 42mm model in Dick's Sporting Goods and perhaps same for Vortex? If so you probably need to get your hands on a few 32mm models to test. You have a decent budget so no need to buy sight unseen or bargain hunt :).

The tasco are around 20 years old, may very well be 7x50. around 29oz i consider them kinda heavy.
Yes they only had the 42mm models at dicks.

So i spent a few days comparing the kowa bdII vs the M7. Clarity seemed about the same to me, the Kowa had a noticeably slightly larger fov.
Just under 3 oz heavier, the build quality of the kowa looks better and larger glass so well worth the extra weight that isn't noticeable.
Unfortunately with the M7, I had eye relief issues. black spots became too annoying. I sent them back
B&H gave me the deal for $270 on the BDII as well so the choice was easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back