• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Member (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I've been viewing the forum for years. I purchased some Swift Audubon 8.5x44 and a Pentax 80ED scope years ago based on the excellent advise here. I've had the Swift roofs for 15 years. I've read all of the BVD articles and countless others. I'm looking for a great used pair of binoculars as my budget is limited. I've always wanted some Swarovski's after looking through my friends. If one was looking at shore birds and spotting whales from the shore, what would be the ideal glass? I was thinking the SLC 10x42 or SLC 10x56's. I'm in the North West so it is often cloudy. They would be used daily but not carried too often.

I'm not sure how the site works for reporting a great siting so I will need to figure it out.

Take Care,
Chris

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I’m going to move your question to the general binocular area and am sure you will get some replies.

Hello,

I was thinking the SLC 10x42 or SLC 10x56's. I'm in the North West so it is often cloudy. They would be used daily but not carried too often.
Hello Chris,

first of all welcome here...:)

if you don't have a problem with the size and weight I would go for the 10x56, IMO the 56 SLC are a bit more impressive than the 42 SLC although you can't go wrong with either.
If money is an issue, you could also look out for a used Zeiss FL 10x56, even though the series has long since ended, it is IMO not inferior to the SLC, both 10x56 are impressive.
If you are more eyeglass wearer, I would rather take the SLC, the eye relief is more comfortable.

Andreas

They would be used daily but not carried too often.
If weight is no concern, you'll love SLC 10x56... but you should also consider EL 12x50 whose extra magnification you might appreciate. SLC 15x56 is excellent as well but you already have a scope, and while I enjoy carrying it sometimes myself, many/most people find handholding 15x too difficult.

Lots of reviews and even more opinions on the site, so I'll throw in another...if I were thinking of a 10x for shorebirds in Pacific NW (conditions being similar, I'm told, to EU NW), I'd go for Canon IS 10x42 (Image Stabilised - best views!)

I appreciate all of the help. I'm now in a hunt for some SLC 10x56's. They would be ideal even though they are a little heavy. I'm excited and focused on selling the things I don't use like my old collectable telescope that looks cool but otherwise just sits there.

I found subgroups last night where I can learn about sitings in my area. That will be interesting.

Thank You

If you could try out something of equal weight, many love the views of the 10X56 SLC but not the weight and so they are sold. The 10X42 is a bright 10X42 s and much lighter and easier to travel with. I would try one before just buying the 10X56.

Someone is selling a pair of new-looking 10x56 SLC on Astromart - you can join for only $15/year to respond to the guy. It's a great place to buy stuff as there are no fees like ebay:

I have a pair of these and love them. They will really soak up the light on those dim days, they're an amazing instrument. Good luck with it.

Thanks for the info on the Astromart guy. I saw him on this site selling them a few days ago. Out of reach for me now but my La Pavoni and Mazzer Super Jolly are now listed for sale.

I'm waiting for an excellent sale on a 10X56 SLC. I was hoping for a Father's Day sale but no such luck. I've had some great whale sightings as they travel north so I'm excited to get something this summer.

I've also placed my La Filotebnica telescope in the Exchange / Swap forum.

Thanks for the info on the Astromart guy. I saw him on this site selling them a few days ago. Out of reach for me now but my La Pavoni and Mazzer Super Jolly are now listed for sale.
not to intrude but out of reach how? $$? I doubt you'll find a new pair on sale for less. Swaro doesn't have sales. The only one I've ever see is 10% at the local bird store and that's only on in-stock binos, for one weekend, and they don't stock the 56mm's. You might be able to call some dealers and offer 10% off retail but I doubt you'd do any better.

The Amart price seems too high, I think $1600-1800 is more appropriate, you could always make an offer of whatever you can afford.

A new SLC 8X56 is $2,500 a 10X56 SLC a bit more, so at $1,900 that is about right. With the rising prices, folks need to cough up more $$ for slightly used glass, those prices will go up as well.

I have options and I'm patient. Inflation and then deflation. I sold an espresso machine, grinder and a wall clock. These are things I haven't used in years.

I spotted a whale yesterday. It never gets old.

A new SLC 8X56 is $2,500 a 10X56 SLC a bit more, so at $1,900 that is about right. With the rising prices, folks need to cough up more $$ for slightly used glass, those prices will go up as well.
I guess we all have our own price metrics. I don't want to pay more than 70% off new for any optic puchased on the used market. Especially for binos which are field instruments and who knows how they've been used. These SLC were purchased for $2300 or $2400 I think? The used market for binos isn't particularly strong either. It's a buyer's market. IME sellers should expect to take a huge hit selling used stuff.

It depends on how desperate/or patient the seller is, and the condition of the glass. Everyone is looking for a lowball deal, but it might take a while. Not too many of the 10X50/56 premium glass comes to the used market, lots of mid range Chinese glass does however.

My SLC 10x56's should arrive soon. Two espresso machines, grinder and a wall clock were sold. I wound up having multiple espresso machines and grinders like some of you have binoculars. I found a good deal through midwayusa. Free shipping, no tax and 10% off. This forum has so much great information and resources. I've been really enjoying ebird and learning about all of the birds in my area. It will be great being able to see a little later and a little earlier with some excellent glass. I'm excited. I appreciate all of the advice from everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back