• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to trapping (1 Viewer)

Mouldy

skywatcher, dragonhunter
I’m new to moth trapping and finding the number of species and variations in colouring a bit daunting, have attached a few photos of some recent catches I’m not sure about if anyone would care to confirm or give me an ID on them. Would think they would be pretty common as I’ve only had four goes at it thus far. Apologies in advance for the poor photography. Here goes :

1. Is this a Lesser Yellow Underwing or could it be a Lunar Yellow Underwing?
2. Seen some similar species in the guides but nothing that matches. It just over a cm in length and more orangey than the pic shows.
3. Common Rustic?
4. Not even sure if this one’s a moth
5. ? Look like it should be easy but couldn't see it.

Thanks.

Alan M

Attachments

• 100_2766.JPG
    100_2766.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_2770.JPG
    100_2770.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 100_2772.JPG
    100_2772.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 100_2779.JPG
    100_2779.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_2783.JPG
    100_2783.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 54
Hi Alan,

I agree with your ids for 1 (Lesser YU) and 3. No 2 looks like Acleris aspersana, no 4 is Ypsolopha dentella and no 5 is one of the Yponomeutas and can probably only be identified down to species by dissection.

Hope this helps,

David

Hi, Mouldy,
I'll have a go:
1 large yellow underwing, I think, despite the poor apical marks - but I agree it does look more like lesser yellow underwing.
2 Not sure. Could be Epiphyas postvittana.
3 Common rustic or lesser common rustic
4 Honeysuckle moth (Ypsolopha dentella)
5 Yponomeuta evonymella, I think, though it's not the world' greatest photo!
Ken

Edit: PS I see David beat me to it. At least I got two right!!

Last edited:
Thanks folks, that's a great help, its fascinating finding creatures I didn't even know existed until a couple of days ago.

I know what you mean. I have started trying to identify the species of Moths that get into my bedroom in the evenings. Have had 8 species in 4 days.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back