• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (3 Viewers)

What makes you think I have escaped?

We all annoy each other eventually on the forum, sometimes because we genuinely disagree about something, more often because the nuances that soften face to face speech such as facial expression, tone of voice and body language, aren't available on the forum and it is so easy to come across as aggressive, insulting or bragging when you aren't being so crass at all.

At the moment, Brock doesn't speak to me but one or two others that I have annoyed seem to have thawed of late. I like to believe there no bad intentions here on BF.

As for you being a fanboy, elitist, and braggart, I'm sure there is something missing out of that list, but can't quite put my finger on it ;)

Lee

Lee:

There are over 1,500 posts on this thread, and I am wondering how
many of these are yours. Several hundred I'm sure, maybe more than
half, count them and give us an update.

You are the main fanboy, cheerleader, and it has been tiresome for
some watching. |8||

I am one who enjoys Zeiss optics.

Give it a rest until some real users can tell us how they perform.

Jerry

Hello Chosun,

To further define your "etc." in a previous post, I would add FOV. In an 8x binocular, I am looking for an 8 degree, or better FOV. Narrow FOV binoculars provide a view, in which the instrument is very apparent. If part of transparency is that one does not notice the instrument, than a decent FOV, has to be considered.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello Arthur, Yes - thank you :t:

I concur. I recall that Ed mentioned 60* as a field of view for human beans :) before all sorts of rolling eyeball and other peculiarities stuff things up.

I think any less than 60* AFOV in bins and most will notice it and therefore ruin any 'transparency'.

Conversely a wider field of view does not necessarily give a bin 'transparency' unless all the other boxes I mentioned are ticked. It will however help greatly with an 'immersive' view.

Realistically I expect this is what the SF will be like. I don't expect it will be 'transparent' - too many losses through the system. The frustration / boredom /anticipation that the delay has caused has sent expectations sky high into the hypersphere, probably not a good thing all in all for Zeiss. :cat:

Realistically we are talking about a bin marginally better than the SV in brightness, Fov, and weight. Differences so small they may not even be readily detectable in practice, let alone cause for mass migration. Certainly Swarovski do not seem overly concerned and seem to be in no hurry to up the ante from what I gather.

The major benefit in market choice will come for those upgrading /moving to this level and/or coming to the market for the first time.

Let's hope we see some more production units soon.

Chosun :gh:

Not to start tooting my Swaro horn again just for the sake of hearing it toot, but I think improving the view of the SV model I have would be a tall order. Is there anything that needs changed about it ? Is it possible to improve it ? I'm sure it could be made to look different, but better ? I like it exactly like it is. This is a Zeiss thread though, so back to the SF. |=)|

Certainly Swarovski do not seem overly concerned and seem to be in no hurry to up the ante from what I gather.
Chosun :gh:

Lee:

There are over 1,500 posts on this thread, and I am wondering how
many of these are yours. Several hundred I'm sure, maybe more than
half, count them and give us an update.

You are the main fanboy, cheerleader, and it has been tiresome for
some watching. |8||

I am one who enjoys Zeiss optics.

Give it a rest until some real users can tell us how they perform.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

You might have a point there. Lets look at the numbers and see how it stacks up using your own 49 posts as a base point. My numbers are founded on the idea that I might do a few posts and get several replies and questions to each that might take several replies to answer.

You haven't had the chance to look through SFs yet at a dealer or show but I did at the Bird Fair. Guess that might allow me to post double your 49 say 100.

I have been really fortunate in addition to spend substantial parts of 3.5 days or thereabouts out in the field with pre-production SFs so maybe that justifies doubling up again. This might get me to 200.

I have been doubly lucky to have spent some of this time with the leader of the design of the SF and to have learned some of the background to it and its construction etc. I would think this would justify another 100, but hey, I have another thread going for that so lets just add another 50.

Gets me up to the 250 ish I have posted, which means about 1 in 6 of the posts have been mine, or just 5 times your posts when you haven't seen, handled, or used SFs in the field or met the design leader.

And since I am a polite sort of guy who replies to others' posts it could be that 49 of my posts were replying to yours :)

Others may disagree but my total doesn't seem too outrageous.

Still you might have a point so I will bear your comment in mind.

Lee

Last edited:
Hi Jerry

You might have a point there. Lets look at the numbers and see how it stacks up using your own 49 posts as a base point. My numbers are founded on the idea that I might do a few posts and get several replies and questions to each that might take several replies to answer.

You haven't had the chance to look through SFs yet at a dealer or show but I did at the Bird Fair. Guess that might allow me to post double your 49 say 100.

I have been really fortunate in addition to spend substantial parts of 3.5 days or thereabouts out in the field with pre-production SFs so maybe that justifies doubling up again. This might get me to 200.

I have been doubly lucky to have spent some of this time with the leader of the design of the SF and to have learned some of the background to it and its construction etc. I would think this would justify another 100, but hey, I have another thread going for that so lets just add another 50.

Gets me up to the 250 ish I have posted, which means about 1 in 6 of the posts have been mine, or just 5 times your posts when you haven't seen, handled, or used SFs in the field or met the design leader.

And since I am a polite sort of guy who replies to others' posts it could be that 49 of my posts were replying to yours :)

Lee

Lee,

Don't get steamed up.
Some people keep shooting from the hip and others learn not to write straight in the face.
Keep up the good work
:t::t::t:

Jan

Lee

I enjoy your posts, so keep them coming. My 'jabs' are for fun and not mean spirited, and as you said, if you could meet me in person, you would see what a goofball I am. The SF is deffinately worth getting excited about. :t: I think Jerry is a Good Egg, he is just more matter of fact in his comments than some of us. |:||:-O

Hi Jerryhttp://www.birdforum.net/images/smilies/lol2.gif

Lee

Last edited:
None at all and it is very amusing to see you running hither and thither, day and night, day in day out, as an unpaid Zeiss CS gremlin :t:, have a banana !!

Eyup Sam

Being diabetic, bananas are my emergency stand-by food.
So, yep, I think a banana could be good here :-O

Lee

Lee

I enjoy your posts, so keep them coming. My 'jabs' are for fun and not mean spirited, and as you said, if you could meet me in person, you would see what a goofball I am. The SF is deffinately worth getting excited about. :t: I think Jerry is a Good Egg, he is just more matter of fact in his comments than some of us. |:||:-O

bh

Thanks for your posts and your posts are fun: you sound as daft as a brush (northern England saying) so you sound just like me ;)

Jerry is a good guy and I respect his views even if I don't always agree.

Lee

bh

Thanks for your posts and your posts are fun: you sound as daft as a brush (northern England saying) so you sound just like me ;)

Jerry is a good guy and I respect his views even if I don't always agree.

Lee

Lee:

I did come off very brash, so I am sorry for that. I enjoy your posts
and knowledge.

I suppose I am just impatient with the long wait it seems for this new
binocular.

It will be good to see some more first hand experiences, hopefully
soon.

Jerry

Lee:

I did come off very brash, so I am sorry for that. I enjoy your posts
and knowledge.

I suppose I am just impatient with the long wait it seems for this new
binocular.

It will be good to see some more first hand experiences, hopefully
soon.

Jerry

Jerry

We can all agree about that. For all the handling and usage of SFs I have had, none has been a production model, although they were made to production standard.

And yes, a variety of opinions from different folks would be welcome.

Stay cool pal :t:

Lee

I have a question regarding the color of the external covering of the SF's. In some photographs I've seen the external covering looks light gray but I also see photos showing it with an almost black covering. Will there be a light and dark version of the SF binocular?

Zeiss recently mailed out a 56 page hard cover booklet to those who pre-ordered the SF and it shows both a light and dark version.

Lee, how do you evade the wrath:C of the forum, I've been tagged as a fanboy, elitist, and braggart. ........

Looks like you spoke a little to soon on that one. At least you have not yet been tagged as a voluble person. :eek!:

Lee,

Don't get steamed up.
Some people keep shooting from the hip and others learn not to write straight in the face.
Keep up the good work
:t::t::t:

Jan

Lee

I enjoy your posts, so keep them coming ...............

Lee, your posts are my favorites so, I say, keep them coming, also. :t:

Agreed! Lee, considering you have had more first hand experience with the SF than most of us put together, I think your post count is more than reasonable. It is rather rich taking criticism for too many posts from someone who has 49 posts in the same thread yet has never seen or touched the actual product.

Thanks for taking the time to share what you know about the new SF. Please do not let the one or two distractors hinder your contributions.

At the risk of being labeled a fan boy,(but hopefully not a voluble fan boy), I share your enthusiasm for the SF, and that is based on actually seeing the product!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back