• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Victory SF !!!!!! (6 Viewers)

Looks like you spoke a little to soon on that one. At least you have not yet been tagged as a voluble person. :eek!:

Agreed! Lee, considering you have had more first hand experience with the SF than most of us put together, I think your post count is more than reasonable. It is rather rich taking criticism for too many posts from someone who has 49 posts in the same thread yet has never seen or touched the actual product.

Thanks for taking the time to share what you know about the new SF. Please do not let the one or two distractors hinder your contributions.

At the risk of being labeled a fan boy,(but hopefully not a voluble fan boy), I share your enthusiasm for the SF, and that is based on actually seeing the product!

Thanks Bruce, nice to have your support.

Lee

I have a question regarding the color of the external covering of the SF's. In some photographs I've seen the external covering looks light gray but I also see photos showing it with an almost black covering. Will there be a light and dark version of the SF binocular?

Zeiss recently mailed out a 56 page hard cover booklet to those who pre-ordered the SF and it shows both a light and dark version.

Chuck

There is only the light-medium grey armour. Some of the pics in the book have reproduced looking a bit dark.

Lee

Hello Lee,

I am always happy to be informed about new binoculars. The SF certainly excites some BF members. There are some interesting advances incorporated in its design, but I will await something comprehensive from those who get a chance to use one before I take out my credit card.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Hello Lee,

I am always happy to be informed about new binoculars. The SF certainly excites some BF members. There are some interesting advances incorporated in its design, but I will await something comprehensive from those who get a chance to use one before I take out my credit card.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Yes Arthur

A wise move. I have posted elsewhere that my own findings are provisional pending trying out a genuine production unit, but my goodness, the omens are promising.

Lee

The recent Lee bashing is very unfair in my opinion. I for one find his posts very balanced and informative.

I recently bought a new 8x42 HT, and it was posts by Lee and other BF regulars that gave me the info I needed to make my choice.

As others have already said, he is better placed than anyone else to make comments on the SF.

If people don't like the content of the thread, then don't read it. Simple.

Keep em coming Lee :t:

Sandy

The recent Lee bashing is very unfair in my opinion. I for one find his posts very balanced and informative.

I recently bought a new 8x42 HT, and it was posts by Lee and other BF regulars that gave me the info I needed to make my choice.

As others have already said, he is better placed than anyone else to make comments on the SF.

If people don't like the content of the thread, then don't read it. Simple.

Keep em coming Lee :t:

Sandy

Second that! :t:

The shambles of the launch of the HT is only matched by the launch of the SF models. I must ask the question, does Zeiss have a marketing department or is "Sports Optics" a cottage industry?
As a retired management trainer I am sure Zeiss could be a wonderful case study.
Having said that might be the same said of Nikon and I thought the Japanese took management theory seriously.
I too am finding this thread tedious, perhaps out of frustration.

The shambles of the launch of the HT is only matched by the launch of the SF models. I must ask the question, does Zeiss have a marketing department or is "Sports Optics" a cottage industry?
As a retired management trainer I am sure Zeiss could be a wonderful case study.
Having said that might be the same said of Nikon and I thought the Japanese took management theory seriously.

Robert

What does management theory teach manufacturers about the use of or misuse of internet discussion sites in their marketing of items that become discussed on them--such as here on Bird Forum about Binoculars?

Bob

Robert, imho you hit the nail on the head when you characterized Sports Optics as a cottage industry. The volumes are small, growth is minimal, the technology is routine and the customers are gullible, because they have no way to make reliable comparisons. Firms stay in this market mostly because of historical associations, rationally all production would have shifted to China ten or fifteen years ago. So the future belongs to the Zen Rays and their peers, not our current alphas.
That is not to say that historical association lacks market impact. It is just that the market is too small to allow any rational manager to invest in meaningful innovation and the customers are too conservative to embrace it.
The market failure of the Zeiss Photoscope, a vastly more convenient digiscoping solution than the Rube Goldbergs now prevalent and the slow sales of the Canon image stabilized glasses, which really provided dramatically better viewing, are two very sobering data points. This is a cottage industry, its economics more like those of a performing art than a good business.

Robert:

It is good to see some others finding this a very long thread. |=o|

I have a degree in Economics, and have had well over 30 years of
experience in sales, and management, now self-employed.

You mention you are a management trainer, and I am wondering how
that relates to being a sales trainer ?

I suppose it is fun to talk about a new binocular, I do have way too many
posts on this thread. Some of us are keeping track. ;)

Jerry

Robert, imho you hit the nail on the head when you characterized Sports Optics as a cottage industry. The volumes are small, growth is minimal, the technology is routine and the customers are gullible, because they have no way to make reliable comparisons. Firms stay in this market mostly because of historical associations, rationally all production would have shifted to China ten or fifteen years ago. So the future belongs to the Zen Rays and their peers, not our current alphas.
That is not to say that historical association lacks market impact. It is just that the market is too small to allow any rational manager to invest in meaningful innovation and the customers are too conservative to embrace it.
The market failure of the Zeiss Photoscope, a vastly more convenient digiscoping solution than the Rube Goldbergs now prevalent and the slow sales of the Canon image stabilized glasses, which really provided dramatically better viewing, are two very sobering data points. This is a cottage industry, its economics more like those of a performing art than a good business.

It is hard to call Sport Optics a "cottage industry" when there are large international corporations like Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica and Nikon still involved in it.

If nothing else it keeps their names before the public. Especially with the public which has enough money to budget for recreational and travel activities. Additionally, and unfortunately, making these recreational devices also gives these companies reason to stay active in research for their use in military activities. I don't expect these companies to stop producing top end optics in today's economy.

But even with all this, these companies are not solely in business to develop and sell very expensive recreational optics to a wealthy small minority of the above public community unless they can project reasonable profits from these instruments. This may explain why Canon is reluctant to expand and improve their line of stabilized binoculars. For my part, I only had one occasion to use a Canon 10x42L and I was very impressed with it!

Historically, at a lower level, particularly after World War II, there were enterprising businessmen who saw a developing need for less expensive optics and they responded. As they went in and out of business others came along to fill their shoes and that still continues. Very few of these companies have had the where with all to compete at the highest level by producing "Alpha" sport optics but they do yeoman work in keeping a large part of the general public interested in recreational optics.

Bob

Last edited:

ET,

Given the fact that the answer to Roberts question is that Zeiss has an marketing department results to the fact that Sport Optics is no cottage industry. Wasn't Bushnell sold this year for $980.000.000,00!!
IMHO the example of the Photoscope is not well choosen. If Zeiss had made the camera modular (take it out and put a new generation in) into the scope it was a different story. The camera development goes so fast that the camera in the Photoscope was "ancient" by the time the scope hit the market.
The new optical technology in the SF is no routine.
The world is filled with big optic fairs where all the brands are present and there are shops everywhere, so customers do have a way to compare.
Trust is earned and historical associations do have a (earned) place in that, but credits from yesterday are forgotten when todays trust is shamed, so the only way to stay on track for these so called alpha's is to keep on exploring the edge technology (with the current SF as an result).

So I wouldn't call it cottage industry.

Jan

Being a natural born tightwad, I always thought the 'Alpha' optics were overpriced compared to bins a third their price. After taking the time to actually see one of the best first hand, my mind was immediately changed. There are some overpriced posers out there, but the top Zeiss and Swaro, no way.

The new optical technology in the SF is no routine.
Jan

Additionally, and unfortunately, making these recreational devices also gives these companies reason to stay active in research for their use in military activities.

Don't know about Nikon, but neither of Zeiss, Leica or Swaro produce special optics for military today.

Don't know about Nikon, but neither of Zeiss, Leica or Swaro produce special optics for military today.

Didn't someone post an article here a couple of years ago about Swarovski making special Habicht binoculars for the Chinese military? It had pictures and all. I think they did the same thing for some people in Arabia.

And not producing does not necessarily exclude doing research in this area.

A few years back I was in the US and a company related to Leica made a trinocular (optical, nightvision and thermal in one) for the military.
At the same time a sort of prototype was shown of an device that measures/detects the unique reflection of optics, so every observation through optics in the field is registrated by drones and properly followed up by......

As we have a Defence contact number I can say for sure Swarovski has a military departement.

Zeiss has sold their complete military production facilities including the Hensold name.

Jan

Jan

Do you know whether or not Zeiss sold their military production facilities to one of the companies under their corporate "umbrella."

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back