• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie question bird identification (1 Viewer)

Mark.... I have absolutely no problem if somebody wants to come around and identify the bird (within reason) I’ll even put the kettle on! Please email me
However I must get the robotics working correctly so it looks real when in flight ----ONLY JOKING!!!

Birdman--- I can see your scepticism re my pseudo “okitsme” It’s a name Ive used for years now and it’s used as my e-mail address. For the record my name is Roger and I’m a sucker for a conspiracy theory as well !
I’m pleased the post has caused such interest as these birds have caused a lot of conversation amongst friends and relatives also.

PS Are you sure thats a Robin? it looks like a plastic Wagtail to my now expert eye

Hey Steve, c'mon, that's not fair! All youngsters have to start somewhere, I think Roger's (okitsme's) questions were perfectly reasonable for someone just starting birding.

No reason why a wagtail should be named from wagging its tail, Lapwings aren't called that from lapping their wings, and Fieldfares aren't called that because they fare round fields - in both cases, their names derive from much older words with different meanings altogether. Although it doesn't, the same could easily have applied to wagtails too.

In case anyone's wondering now . . .
Lapwing: from mediaeval English Hlaepi-wince, meaning 'crested bird'.
Fieldfare: from old English Fealu-fearh, meaning 'grey piglet' (compare 'farrow', pig giving birth to piglets)

(Derivations from Lockwood, The Oxford Book of British Bird Names)

Michael

Last edited:
Steve I really seemed to have upset you, hand on my heart I would not want to do that! My comments about the Wagtail were slightly tongue in cheek but sometimes when you think you know something you don’t want to say anything at fear of ridicule. I am just Joe public who doesn't share your obvious enthusiasm for birding (yet!)
As for 15-20 ish Well thanks you very much! After celebrating my 41st birthday last week I'll take that as a complement (although I know your referring to the quality of my writing for which a apologise) Like I said someone is more than welcome to check things out !

Birdman--- I can see your scepticism re my pseudo “okitsme” It’s a name Ive used for years now and it’s used as my e-mail address. For the record my name is Roger and I’m a sucker for a conspiracy theory as well !

Youngster Michael????????????

Steve
I know you expect me to say this! But genuinely I'm not around this weekend (I'm going on a Cub camp with my oldest son)
I'm around this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon else next week (if the bird is still around)

okitsme said:
As for 15-20 ish Well thanks you very much! After celebrating my 41st birthday last week I'll take that as a complement (although I know your referring to the quality of my writing for which a apologise)

Ooops!! My turn to be embarrased! so much for my detective abilities :scribe:

Michael

OKIE I promise you , you have in NO way upset me, Being a Mod of sorts ,it is part of the scheme of things to generate and nurture Threads of interest.
This Thread is interesting and I sometimes ( ask the others) can and do provoke reaction!!

Please do not worry, as I said I am not upset annoyed, irratated, in any way.

convienient okie?????? just leave the keys under the plastic Thrush we will make ourselves at home.

Roger

Is it possible you could get some pictures or video grabs of these bird/s in flight, I think that would clear up the plastic theory.
Do you have a bird collection or zoo near to you that you could contact?
I’m not sure where you are in Essex but what about Paradise Park for instance.
Ask them if they have recently lost a pair of WT Laughing thrushes, they may be able to confirm they have (though they may not want to admit it) they may even be interested in re-capturing them.

I am sorry for my scepticism, but to me the first picture inparticular is not a real bird. Perhaps I am wrong, one thing I know is that this is a very intriguing thread.

I would also be happy to view any video/webcam footage of them.
If you want to supply this to my E-mail address, then PM me and I will give you the details.

Rich

Redwing

Below is an image of the bird taking off I know it's not clear!! again it's a still taken from video.
Yes I do have video but being a special effects expert I don't suppose it would convince anyone

Attachments

• bird02.jpg
    bird02.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 255
I wish someone would go round and check it out, the suspense is killing me! I for one believe okitsme, I can't believe that someone would go to all this trouble for a joke.

Ok fine that’s enough for me you would have had to have been very quick with your PhotoShop forgery skills :) to produce that within 10 minutes.
Can I suggest you contact a local bird collection or enquire locally about private collections containing these birds? If you have no luck these birds are often tracked around the country, and a studbook kept by an allocated enthusiast. It may be someone local to you who just keeps a pair, perhaps he has managed to catch the other one.

Rich

Hi Redwing
I've been asking around locally with no luck. I've had a quick look on the WEB to see if I can find clubs etc
Does anyone have any other suggestions or better still Contacts?

What are the chances of anyone believing me ? pretty small I guess. What if they ask for pictures, OH NO!!!!
I did consider contacting the local paper, what do you think?
( Steve I know I could just put them in the bath with the rubber ducks)

Hi okitsme,

I don't see why anyone shouldn't believe you! I certainly do, no problem at all. You have photos which look perfectly OK to me, and a well-established identification of the birds, as a species which is known to be kept in captivity.

I don't know of any bird that's kept in captivity, that doesn't escape from time to time. Up here in Northumberland, I've seen all sorts - Budgies, Canaries, Cockatiels, Red Bishop Weaverfinch, Patagonian Conure, Australian Black Swan, etc, etc, etc - we once even had an Ostrich escape and wander around the roads causing traffic chaos!

The best person to tell would be the County Bird Recorder of the Essex Birdwatching Society:
Bob Flindall
60 Lady Lane, Chelmsford, Essex CM2 0TH
[email protected]
He will be interested in details of all birds in Essex, both wild and escapes from captivity.

It is important for county bird recorders to monitor escapes, in case they settle down to breed and start spreading - think of the problems caused by Ruddy Ducks, Canada Geese, Ring-necked Parakeets, etc.

For more info on Essex birding this link has a lot more detail:
http://www.fatbirder.com/links_geo/europe/england_essex.html

Or join the Essex Birdwatching Society:
http://www.essexbirdwatchsoc.co.uk

Michael

Last edited:
Hi again, okitsme.

This might now be a potentially serious issue. I'm gonna give to my two penn'orth, but I would wait and see what other BFers think before acting upon it.

Clearly these are not native birds, nor is it likely they have got here under their own steam.

So they must surely belong to a "collection" of some sort - either a private aviary or a breeder or as pets etc.

If however, no-one is claiming ownership, then maybe it's time to speak to the Police Wildlife Liaison Officer. If I were any of the above, and legitimate, then I think I would be happy to be able to reclaim my birds.

Of course, they could have flown from somewhere outside of your local region - so maybe that's why a local appeal has produced no responses. Again, the WLO might have national records to refer to.

That said, this maybe a case of me using a sledgehammer to crack a nut, so I'd give a few other members a chance to have their say.

Hi Birdman,

Interesting idea, but I suspect - sadly - that the police WLO will have too much on his plate dealing with serious wildlife crime (be it gamekeepers shooting Hen Harriers, or Badger-baiters, or wildflower thieves, or whatever else happens in Essex!) to be able to deal with a couple of escaped cagebirds.

There's a (? weekly / ? monthly) newspaper-style publication 'Cage & Aviary Birds' which probably has a 'lost & found' column you could check, or even advertise in; I would hope that whoever has lost them would be prepared to give you some form of reward!

But do still also let Bob Flindall know.

Michael

Nice to know that you guys can still get a damn good stimulating thread going. I wait with baited breath for the next installment.
:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back