• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie question bird identification (3 Viewers)

This has been one of the most fantastic reads of my life. Excellent! Good going Dave and Okitsme. In fact, I have just made this a 5 star read. :bounce:

Nice photos Dave .... and it's a bird feeding! A candidate for the May competition perhaps? I'll bet there won't be many White-throated Laughing-thrush photos entered!;)

Helen

This is obviously a Double act, They are in it together!!! The BF hat is patently a Forgery as well, I have never given dave A BF hat
and if you look at the photo carefully the Thrush has clearly just been "pocketed" prior to the Photo being taken.

Nice Wheeze I expect your Nieghbours.

Ps further investigation reveals the one on the right with the Hat may well be Sir francis chichester, looks like a photo shop job to me. :frog:

I agree that this bird is not plastic but it really is a hoax and now that there are more pictures it can be proven on several counts. First of all, look at the shrubs above the fence line. These are Chinese Water Trees (Arber aquata), in fact a subspecies (Arber aquata chinesis) which has a distribution only in eastern China. Secondly, the colour of the fence. This colour is only sold thru the vast network of B & Q China distribution. Thirdly, the kiddies play swing is of Chinese design and only manufactured by a factory in Beijing and is not for export. So it is quite clearly not an Essex garden. Thus, we are looking at the birds in their home range.........lol lol lol again and again.

Seriously, well done to okitsme in the first instance and to Dave for the extra information. A great find for the garden list.

Colin

Thanks for the laugh Steve & Colin. I hope none of my students see this Steve otherwise I will get a new nickname.

Last edited:
Hi okitsme!

Pretty sure it is a Ring Ouzel, a summer visiting thrush. Lucky to get it in your garden!

kajrowe

kajrowe said:
Hi okitsme!

Pretty sure it is a Ring Ouzel, a summer visiting thrush. Lucky to get it in your garden!

kajrowe

Sorry, but no. I do understand your thoughts, though. As stated by Michael in post #18 it is a White-throated Laughingthrush (Garrulax albogularis). I've seen quite a few in China, where they are native and often rather common in the Himalayan & central regions. They are also frequent in captivity and not too difficult to breed. Here's a link to five photos:

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/b...ID=1613&Bird_Image_ID=1324&Bird_Family_ID=150

(click "next" - upper right - to see the following photos)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back