• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica? (1 Viewer)

While Leica might not have set the birding world on fire over the past few years (still hoping for a 32mm Noctivid), they have been fairly busy in the sport optics market with laser rangefinders, rangefinder/binoculars, etc. They introduced several new models within the past ~2.5 years and are a well respected player in this market, such as:
  • 3500.com Compact Rangefinder
  • Geovid 3200.com Rangefinder/Binouclar - both 42mm & 56mm versions
  • Geovid Pro Rangefinder/Binocular - 32mm version of the Geovid
  • Calonex - Long Range Thermal Camera

I used to be frustrated by Leica's comparatively slow pace in releasing new products. More recently though, I've realized that is what makes them Leica.
Absolutely. Leica do not introduce half-baked products to the market. I don't know the author of the following dictum but I think it absolutely nails it: Die Bananen reifen in Wetzlar.

While I see where people are coming from when they say that Leica lag behind, I think lagging behind or not is a matter of perspective. It is true, they were not the first to introduce the double-hinge design. But if this innovation is desirable at all is up to the individual user. If compactness is a top criterion, it is not. Why did Swarovski go back to the single-hinge design in their top tier NLs? Are flat fields always better for everyone? Think of rolling ball and the impression of looking at scenery flats...and so on. It is a matter of individual preference. If compactness, build and industrial design and colours are the most important product objectives, Leica is not behind. Just my opinion.

Noctivids in 32 will be made. But if you quote me, I’ll deny it 🤫. Don’t be surprised if they pop out next year.

I have to cordially disagree on Noctivid’s not being up to the top Zeiss and Swaros. I have all three and although the Leica’s don’t have the innovative ( not so innovative, been done years ago) FOV , they are equal optically to anything on the market. The image quality and color rendition, in my opinion are superior to the SF‘s. Build quality and material feel are second to none.

I wouldn’t doubt that Leica will be the first to produce high quality IS binoculars. Certainly they won’t be copies of plastic Canon’s, but youll pay through the nose.

I could be wrong, I don’t know how they think, but I think Leica approaches the binoculars market a little different than the other battling titans , it’s a FOV and ergonomic race between Zeiss and swaro. Leica seems to be more traditional (if you wanna say less innovative, ok). Like someone said in a previous post here, Leica takes tried and true (example Ultravids) and makes slow improvements on them in all areas, CA , focuser , coatings as a few examples, and still offer that delicious saturated Leica image color.

Thats my 2 cents.

I have to cordially disagree on Noctivid’s not being up to the top Zeiss and Swaros. I have all three and although the Leica’s don’t have the innovative ( not so innovative, been done years ago) FOV , they are equal optically to anything on the market. The image quality and color rendition, in my opinion are superior to the SF‘s. Build quality and material feel are second to none.
Your subjective feeling may be correct, but the objective fact is that Zeiss and especially Swarovski sell more conventional binoculars.

Jan once presented sales figures here, the differences were overwhelming.

Andreas

Your subjective feeling may be correct, but the objective fact is that Zeiss and especially Swarovski sell more conventional binoculars.

Jan once presented sales figures here, the differences were overwhelming.

Andreas
Sales figures don’t necessarily have to do with quality, there are many factors that go into why one company will some more of an item and then another.

I would agree with you that my opinions are subjective. I have a nice collection of Swarovski, Leica’s and Zeiss. And I prefer the Leica over the Zeiss and to me the only one that I like as much as the Noctivid is the NL.

NL’s are probably the best binoculars on the planet but many choose the SF and even EL’s.

Does anybody really argue the build quality of the Leica noctivid
?

Sales figures don’t necessarily have to do with quality, Does anybody really argue the build quality of the Leica noctivid
But that's not the original question of the thread title.

"News from Leica"?

I think the 8/10x42 Noctivid should remain the alpha glass for a long time, Leica is heading in a different direction.

Andreas

Noctivids in 32 will be made. But if you quote me, I’ll deny it 🤫. Don’t be surprised if they pop out next year.

I wouldn’t doubt that Leica will be the first to produce high quality IS binoculars. Certainly they won’t be copies of plastic Canon’s, but youll pay through the nose.

I could be wrong, I don’t know how they think, but I think Leica approaches the binoculars market a little different than the other battling titans , it’s a FOV and ergonomic race between Zeiss and swaro. Leica seems to be more traditional (if you wanna say less innovative, ok). Like someone said in a previous post here, Leica takes tried and true (example Ultravids) and makes slow improvements on them in all areas, CA , focuser , coatings as a few examples, and still offer that delicious saturated Leica image color.

Thats my 2 cents.
The 32 Noctivid WILL NOT be made...just isn't going to happen as that 'line' belongs to Swaro and Zeiss and there are not enough customers to go around, thus the reason why Leica has gotten into more Sports bins, as well as their other divisions.

Who says that FOV is everything? I don't.... That isn't even on my short list of things I look for and I feel that Swaro and Zeiss are 'selling us the Brooklyn Bridge' (as they say here in America)... They are making a 'need' for something not needed. Leica has it right, stay where you are.

I agree that Leica is more traditional....they have quality....ergonomics... great optics. The next thing on the binocular horizon will be digital binoculars and that I feel is where Leica is working on. They obviously have the 'camera' end of things down, so now just work on combining camera with binocular. They have a step up on Swaro and Zeiss in regards to this and if it can be done (and that is a big "IF"), my money is on Leica...

The 32 Noctivid WILL NOT be made...just isn't going to happen as that 'line' belongs to Swaro and Zeiss and there are not enough customers to go around, thus the reason why Leica has gotten into more Sports bins, as well as their other divisions.

Who says that FOV is everything? I don't.... That isn't even on my short list of things I look for and I feel that Swaro and Zeiss are 'selling us the Brooklyn Bridge' (as they say here in America)... They are making a 'need' for something not needed. Leica has it right, stay where you are.

I agree that Leica is more traditional....they have quality....ergonomics... great optics. The next thing on the binocular horizon will be digital binoculars and that I feel is where Leica is working on. They obviously have the 'camera' end of things down, so now just work on combining camera with binocular. They have a step up on Swaro and Zeiss in regards to this and if it can be done (and that is a big "IF"), my money is on Leica...
Totally agree on Leica. And in total agreement about FOV , to me good and huge don’t make much of a difference, unless of course we’re going from a Habicht 742 to an NL😆.

As far as the Nocs in 32, your going to remember me next year. I got a guy , who’s got a guy at Leica, if you know what I mean Jersey 👊🏻

I’m a few miles from that bridge and I sold it , a few times. 😜

be well.

Paul

Even in the Leica Camera division line....you will find that Leica M camera's or whatever they come out with other than M, is always a bit lacking. Quality is there beyond reason as every intricate detail is in place, the Leica 'look' is evident, the style is spot on....the price is there big time, the red dot is there, knowing it is backed up 100% by Leica is there etc.... but feature wise, they usually lag behind. You buy a Leica because you are a Leica fan..... there is always a better product (Perhaps not the 7x35 or 8/10x 32 or even the 7x42), there is always a cheaper product with more features. Again, you buy a Leica because you want a Leica.
2ADAC2A3-DAED-4AF1-BCAF-3C018FEF6746.jpeg
Got to love that RED DOT

I buy Leica because the red dot is nicer than the Zeiss emblem 🤭.

seriously I buy Leica , because I like them. I like the build quality better, the color rendition and the overall feel of the equipment. What would be a cheaper option with more features?

Paul

I have a M11. That camera yields in no way to the best from Sony, Canon or Nikon, apart from lack of video functionality but that’s a deliberate choice.

On the binoculars front, however, I switched to team Swarovski.

Leica still makes the best quality though, much better than Zeiss IMO.
Not sure I agree..... FL's were built to an incredible standard years ago. They seemed to drop the ball when the firsts SF's came out, but they appear pretty good currently.

One has also to consider poor sales. All five dealers in the Interviews section put Leica dead last among the alphas, by a large margin. Not much motivation for R&D there.
If your current product isn't selling, isn't that a good reason to develop (R&D) new ones?
Lee

I would agree with tenex, with a small change: replace "motivation" by "funding".....R&D can be very expensive.

Not sure I agree..... FL's were built to an incredible standard years ago. They seemed to drop the ball when the firsts SF's came out, but they appear pretty good currently.
I have 5 FL models and yes they were built to a very high standard. I will stick to my opinion of the recent Zeiss models.

You can take any of the big three and come up with a solid product....period. Pick your poison and see what fits you ergonomically and what fits your face. Let that be the deciding factor as the inner mechanics of all are about as good as you can get otherwise between them. Sure, some little things here and there but somewhat immaterial all told....

I don’t know if I totally agree with no innovation with Leica. Maybe I’m seeing things a little different because of a little bias, love the color and build. I have all three brands of the top models we’re taking about here and I see Leica innovation. It just doesn’t follow the timing and path of the other two. Leica is not in the FOV race with the other two, and I think they easily could be, but chose not to. They also made good changes (improvements) to the field curvature from untravids, there brighter and as sharp as anything else on the market.

The focuser is much improved , as well as improvements to the eyecup design, maybe one of the best as well. Swaro has the same eyecups from 20 years ago (EL) and took a step back with the NL with 6 or is it 7 positions that are less firm than the former. The SF also in some ways are not the most innovative with thin plastic eyecups with two weak threads, and some say FL are better built even though there not in a magnesium shell.

To a degree innovation can very well be in the eye of the beholder. I like my Zeiss, but I love my Noctivids. To each his own of course. I’ll ad if you like or must have large FOV Leica’s not for you, but if you like color saturation then FS definitely won’t cut it.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back