• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica? (1 Viewer)

You want to see the watches with or without the boxes ..? Patek, Breguet, IWC..?
No, of course not. Yachts maybe, not mere watches. And after all this is the Binoculars section of Birdforum.

I am actually curious whether the newest versions of Noctilux etc still have that "artistic" quality to their results, which of course was really a euphemism for technical imperfections of the 1960s, or those have been improved away as I imagine. Would you know? (In that case you would be in no danger of accidentally becoming an artist.) ;)

pm42,
I knew I would heat up the spirits with my remarks. But my remarks are based on a real and professional experience in photography. I started photography 20 years ago with a real analog rangefinder, I know exactly what I'm talking about. Digital Leica M camera is a purist cult based more on emotions than on performance and utility. I know how to use a rangefinder with any focal length, that's why I'm telling you that it's a pain when it comes to framing compared to other systems. Usually the M camera forces you to get used to a single focal length, you cannot switch from 24mm to 90mm very relaxed. For example, if you take a picture from 0.7m, you will have a huge parallax error that you have to learn to master with each focal length in part, so the process is complicated and masochistic even for the simplest thing: framing.
Once again, you are confusing your limitations with a general rule.
Henry Cartier Bresson skill with M camera is not a general rule for everyone, because it is masochistic camera for general use.

And yes, it is a very smart marketing, especially for 8000e products like this😀

Pictograma Verificată de Comunitate

Feedback

Alții caută și

Last edited:
If I wanted to emmulate Henry Cartier Bresson I'd use something like a Fuji x100v - but this is about binoculars, not cameras. Of Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica binoculars, I'd always choose Leica. It's the sum of all the parts that puts Lieca ahead of the other two.

To me, Leica Sport Optics have always been synonymous with vivid, naturally colored views, precisely engineered craftsmanship, and durability. My Trinovid BA, despite a few technical flaws by today’s standards, still offers a very saturated and satisfying view. Find it amazing that I still enjoy occasional use after nearly 3 decades of ownership. Another Leica gem that seriously impresses me is the 8x32 Ultravid HD+ = all of that delicious view in such a tiny package. Other aficionados also heap praise on the UVHD+ 7x42 and 10x50.

As previously discussed, while Leica premium binocular offerings have lost ground to Zeiss and Swarovski in recent years they’re still very much mainstream in other Sports Optics offerings. They were and still are an innovator in integrating laser rangefinding technology into optical devices. The Leica CRF is a thing of beauty and often the device targeted by other manufacturers. In fact, I was in a wilderness camp a few years back where several other brands of rangefinding devices were present. Having endured those owners touting that their devices were superior, I was a bit amused when, out on the mountain, they were often asking me to range subjects that their devices simply could not. IME Leica cuts through mist like no other. My point here is that Leica appears well respected within this market segment. They continue to innovate and expand offerings within this product line and other segments of Sport Optics.

IMO Zeiss and Swarovski have done a far superior job of understanding the premium binocular consumer, the features they desire, engineering those desired features into their product lines, and overall marketing. As Lee’s article of the development of the EL points out, Swarovski took tremendous risks in a major departure from traditional binocular design, but the heavy focus on user interface / features in its engineering both captured the market and revolutionized the industry. A few years back I was in the market for a new premium binocular and directly compared the black Victory SF, EL and the Noctivid (NLs weren’t out yet). While thoroughly impressed with the Noctivid image, I slightly prefer the SF’s view and find some of its other features (focuser, balance, haptics) superior to the Noctivid. While everyone’s preferences and the value placed on individual features will vary a bit, most premium buyers (brand loyalty aside) will likely choose the device that provides the most overall enjoyment when used for its intended purpose. Although critically important, a smidge better optics by itself doesn’t guarantee a shift in the premium market. Competition is also becoming increasingly intense as many newer, very high performing mid-grade offerings are definitely shrinking the performance gap with Alpha binoculars and capturing increasing market share.

As far as marketing goes - here in the USA Swarovski is absolutely dominant among the Big 3. Although all 3 have booths at major birding and sportsman’s shows/events, SW has far more advertisements in birding/sports periodicals, links on websites, celebrity endorsements, and even have their own weekly Swarovski Optik television show.

Luxury watches, cars, "homes", yachts, all this sounds exactly the same every time...
Not to mention seldom having anything to do with the subject at hand. Being a binocular forum primarily, would be nice to keep to binoculars, but so much for pipe dreams.

Unfortunately I suppose most Leica threads can be doomed before they even get started due to a lack of new and cutting edge products, leaving a vacuum ripe for second guessing and postulation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back