• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon EDG 8x42 vs. Swarovski EL 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

Gary,

They even have the SFL for $1350, if I’m converting accurately. That puts it In a range that I’d consider a try. Do you know how much experience members here have with this sit? I don’t remember any discussions on the forum about them.

Paul
I have considered buying the WX 10x50 from them, their price was tempting: JPY603000 (compare this with the B&H price). You can directly email to Tsutomu SAKABE, General Manager, KYOEI ([email protected]) with any questions you might have, he replies promptly. I have read comments by US members (on CN for example) who bought from them and had a very good experience.

I have considered buying the WX 10x50 from them, their price was tempting: JPY603000 (compare this with the B&H price). You can directly email to Tsutomu SAKABE, General Manager, KYOEI ([email protected]) with any questions you might have, he replies promptly. I have read comments by US members (on CN for example) who bought from them and had a very good experience.
Thank you. Maybe forum members experience with K O would be a good idea for a discussion.

Paul

Paul,

Sorry but I’m not sure what your question “Do you know how much experience members here have with this sit?” means. Could you please clarify and I’ll try to respond?

Gary

Paul,

Sorry but I’m not sure what your question “Do you know how much experience members here have with this sit?” means. Could you please clarify and I’ll try to respond?

Gary
Sorry, seri in a mood this morning. Would be nice to hear other BF members experiences purchasing and dealing with this company. You know , like the pros, cons and any issues. On the few Nikon and Zeiss products I looked at , these are really good deals, as long as these are brand new stock. The SFL is over a $400 savings.

Paul

Just saw PeterPS’ reply. What he was thinking of doing, I did - purchased a Nikon WX 10x50 from K-O by reaching out to Tsutomu. As PeterPS said, he was very responsive. At the time of purchase (May, 2022), I estimate I saved around $1800 over what I would have paid had I ordered the same binoculars from a US retailer (B&H, Adorama, etc.). Once the ordering and payment was made, I had the binoculars within a week. As PeterPS noted, members on CN often use K-O.

Gary

Just saw PeterPS’ reply. What he was thinking of doing, I did - purchased a Nikon WX 10x50 from K-O by reaching out to Tsutomu. As PeterPS said, he was very responsive. At the time of purchase (May, 2022), I estimate I saved around $1800 over what I would have paid had I ordered the same binoculars from a US retailer (B&H, Adorama, etc.). Once the ordering and payment was made, I had the binoculars within a week. As PeterPS noted, members on CN often use K-O.

Gary
Gary, how is the payment made? After it’s put in the cart , does it give options , or paypal?

Gary,

They even have the SFL for $1350, if I’m converting accurately. That puts it In a range that I’d consider a try. Do you know how much experience members here have with this sit? I don’t remember any discussions on the forum about them.

Paul
I'm getting 180,000yen which currently converts to $1227! How can they do that?
... expecting to get SFL's today, purchased for US retail :-(

Noctivids for $2150 ?!

Sorry for the thread drift...

Yes, payment is made through PayPal. If you’re really thinking about buying from there, the best thing to do is go to the website. Once there, you’ll have the option to translate it to English. Then scroll toward the bottom of the page. You’ll see a link in blue type that says “FAQ about international orders.” Click on that and it should tell you what you need to know.

I just went to it and it looks like you can put your desired item right in the cart to purchase it instead of contacting Tsutomu. I’d still contact him anyway if you have any questions. One important tip: when you’re at the point of purchase with PayPal, don’t accept PayPal’s option to convert the funds; instead choose your bank’s conversion rate (or K-O’s if given that option). That single step saved me over $100 since the PayPal conversion rate is terrible.

Gary

Sorry, seri in a mood this morning. Would be nice to hear other BF members experiences purchasing and dealing with this company. You know , like the pros, cons and any issues. On the few Nikon and Zeiss products I looked at , these are really good deals, as long as these are brand new stock. The SFL is over a $400 savings.

Paul

Just started a new thread on experiences with buying from K-O under “Binoculars.”

You’ll see two prices on their website. One is the price without VAT, the second has the 10% VAT added. If the binoculars are being exported, you don’t pay the VAT.

One last thought on K-O experiences: If you’re a member of Cloudy Night or join it, you can do a search on their site for “Kyoei” in the Binoculars thread under the Equipent Discussions forum and a good number of posts will come up.

You’ll see two prices on their website. One is the price without VAT, the second has the 10% VAT added. If the binoculars are being exported, you don’t pay the VAT.
That's crazy then, $1200 and change for a new SFL!!! Damn, I should've put off that EL purchase o_O:unsure:

Ill check out the new discussion here , and the ones on CN. Good stuff brother 🙏

Paul

I have heard very good things about him regarding Nikon glass. Now buying a Zeiss from Japan, my guess they would go to Japan? or directly to Germany if service was needed. The Warranty for Zeiss would likely be for a longer time period if purchased in the US.

Last edited:
Back on the EDG! The box just arrived - I have to go walk my dogs before it's dark but wow - first impression of the 7x42 - awesome!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back