• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Premier LX L 8x20? (2 Viewers)

The two Nikons in your above question are in completely different leagues. The premier lx is far superior to the travelite.

Spunky12

Thank you for your above comment. Although my reason for purchasing a quality compact is to upgrade viewing over the inferior Travelite--it is a comfort to hear those words from someone who knows.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

The 8x Nikon Trailblazer 8x is useable, the 10x is dim. Both have wide fields. Much brighter and a bit sharper are the Travelites.

Last edited:
Why not consider the Zeiss Victory 8x20 T*? I mean the PRE-FL model:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3084

I was shopping for a pair of compacts last year and I had similar requirements to you. In my case I wanted them to take running (i.e. jogging) so weight and bulk were important. The retailer showed me these as well as the newer Zeiss FL compacts (I think), and the Nikon Premier LX (or HG as they're called over here) compacts, and the Leica Ultravid compacts. I actually found that my eyes liked the optics of the older model (non-FL) Zeiss -- they just seemed to give a nice bright and reasonably wide view, so they were the ones I bought. I think I actually preferred the view to that through the Nikons but I can't really remember about the other two, as price was also a factor in my choice. I think the non-FL Zeiss were also the lightest, and I liked the ergonomics in general; in particular, I didn't like the unusual (to me) position of the focus wheel on the Nikons.

I do remember that I was shown two instances of one of the Zeiss models because the first one brought out to me had a visible flaw in it, so sample variation may be something to watch out for.

Just something to think about, sorry if you've already ruled this suggestion out for reasons I've missed.

Edited to add: I should probably mention that over a year after buying them I am still using and enjoying the Zeiss Victory 8x20 T*s quite frequently (several times a week at the moment). They are so light I can just carry them in one hand as I run along and I don't feel their weight even by the end of a long run (1.5 hours). The view is bright and clear and they don't mist up from my perspiration the way the non-waterproof cheaper models I used to use did.

Last edited:
Stephen2eq:

Thank you for your comments about jogging with your Zeiss Victory 8x20 T* compacts. I have imagined myself sitting with them, walking with them, taking them out to social events, and even driving with them--however, I had not thought of jogging with them.

Now that you mention it, jogging with compacts does make sense.

Thanks for your post and the link.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Last edited:
I just spotted an error in my post: the binoculars I own, the ones in the link I gave, are the 8x20 T*, not BT. Sorry for any confusion. From the EO website it looks like BT refers to an even older model (which I have no experience with). I'll edit my previous post.

Zeiss made a single hinge compact 8x20 Classic, years ago, but this model seems to have vanished into thin air for some reason. It had the looks of a very slim 8x30 Classic, with a nice big focus knob on the eyepiece end of the hinge, and the same thick rubber armouring.
I regret I never gave them a try at the time, after seeing them advertised in a Zeiss brochure.
Whatever happened to them, I wonder?

I owned a late model phase coated version some years ago and liked it a lot (and, naturally, regret selling it). Optics were excellent, although probably not up to current standards, the permanently attached rainguard was a nice touch, and I thought the single hinge design was much easier to use than the fiddly double hinge competitors (which included Zeiss's own double hinge models). Cost, however, was substantially greater than the double hinge versions and, despite the belt loop on the leather pouch, the model was criticized as not being pocket sized and therefore not sufficiently handy. I would guess that the final year of manufacture would be either 1990 or 1991.

Last edited:
. . . despite the belt loop on the leather pouch, the model was criticized as not being pocket sized and therefore not sufficiently handy.

Do you think there is a big difference in the go anywhere ability of the pockets (8x20s) vs. the big pockets (8x32s) with belt loops on their cases?

I realize one you just stuff in your pocket, the other you thread through your belt or carry in your hand.

But in everyday use, does the pocket really get more use than the big pocket?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

Do you think there is a big difference in the go anywhere ability of the pockets (8x20s) vs. the big pockets (8x32s) with belt loops on their cases?

I realize one you just stuff in your pocket, the other you thread through your belt or carry in your hand.

But in everyday use, does the pocket really get more use than the big pocket?

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

To me, the real difference is not portability - I agree that the big pocket belt case for a 32mm bin is just as useful as a jacket or pants pocket 20mm model - but rather the relative inconspicuousness of certain of the double hinge pocket models, especially at the theater, museums, kept in a briefcase on a business trip, etc. Ironically, the Nikon LX 8 x 20 in its case is really too big for most pockets other than winter hunting jackets, anoraks, Barbours and the like.

Last edited:
To me, the real difference is not portability. . .but rather the relative inconspicuousness of certain of the double hinge pocket models, especially at the theater, museums, kept in a briefcase on a business trip, etc.

Thanks for pointing out the inconspicuous appeal of pockets.

--Bob
Kentucky, USA

I owned a late model phase coated version some years ago and liked it a lot (and, naturally, regret selling it). Optics were excellent, although probably not up to current standards, the permanently attached rainguard was a nice touch, and I thought the single hinge design was much easier to use than the fiddly double hinge competitors (which included Zeiss's own double hinge models). Cost, however, was substantially greater than the double hinge versions and, despite the belt loop on the leather pouch, the model was criticized as not being pocket sized and therefore not sufficiently handy. I would guess that the final year of manufacture would be either 1990 or 1991.

Thanks for clearing this up!

Greetings, Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back