• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon SE 8X32 (1 Viewer)

It's complicated. With the eyecups rolled down, they (ser 501xxx from 1998) work great for me. Others have mentioned issues with blackouts or "kidney beans" due to the instrument's long eye relief. There are other threads here about adjustments and modifications.

All in all, you can make it work.

8x32 SE have about 18mm of eye relief. I could not use them with the eyecups completely down, but some can. I read somewhere long ago on BF about a brilliant fix: get some very thin O rings the outside diameter of the eyepieces, slide them onto the outside of the extended eyecup, then roll the eyecup over them to create a shortened eyecup. I experimented a bit a found a position that added about 2mm to the flat eyecup position, and this was about perfect for my eyeglasses. I have used this setup since I got my 550xxx in about 2013.

Eye positioning on these bins is never exactly easy, but with a lot of use it becomes intuitive. I have since gotten some Monarch HGs (10x42), and while Nikon has really maintained the color balance and “look” I still find the SEs easier on the eyes, more ergonomic, and able to resolve fine detail more sharply. Enjoy them—they are special.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back