• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon "Sporter" (1 Viewer)

OK, JP, I could give a little feedback. I bought a 10x36 last year for myself for Christmas. I sure wish the camera store that I got it from had some 8x36's. 36 is just a little too small for a 10x, but I guess an 8x would not be bad. But really the optics are good considering the low price, but remember, they are not really waterproof. And they are not as bright as a real top-class bino. That is probably the main negative thing about them. When the sun is shining, they are good.

My wife uses the 10x36. They are undoubtedly excellent for the price - bright and wide, and light in weight. Whilst not officially waterproof, they are claimed to be water resistant. I would say that vapour and fogging will never be an issue.

What is quite superb is the way that even I, with my long-sight specs, can use them with my glasses in place and still easily see the full field of view. No other binos I have ever tried - and that is many! - have allowed me to do this so easily - including the Swarovski's I use all the time!

Have tried these bins out and they seemed fine - however within the price ban there are other good bins to consider. I would always recommend checking out Opticron bins within your price range, they are always good quality and excellent avlue for money.

For $169, the 8x36 Sporter is a nice roof prism bin. Although there are other low priced roofs I prefer, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sporter to any beginning birder seeking to get a decent bin, but not yet crazed enough to consider spending $1,000 or more. I recently was able to spend a little time comparing them to 8x32 Bushnell Legends and Celestron Nobles, as well as 8x42 Nobles. All were under $300.

Before I go any further, I know there are some very nice porros available and I did try to get the Nikon E2s for comparison. BUT FOR ME (eyeglasses and stubby hands), the better ergonomics of roofs vastly outweigh the benefits of porros. So pardon me if I don't genuflect towards the SEs. Besides, most beginners I get questions from, typically young 'uns and women, are in the same boat as me.

The Nikons overall had the most "pleasing" view. This is based on my perception that they were the warmest and had the most eye filling image. (The 8x42 Nobles in particular had a bit of "looking through a telescope" effect.) They also appeared to have the least amount of sharpness falloff as you move from the center to the edge. HOWEVER,...the Nikons were also the dimmest and least sharp of the 4. My "testing" was done with the dollar bill across the kitchen test, as well as some forest viewing during late afternoon - early evening.

The Sporters were the heaviest (25oz) and the armor was the least impressive; being the slickest and least durable. In fact, with probably the least handling of the 4 bins, the eyecups were pretty scuffed up and a couple tiny divots were taken out of the body armor. I figured they weren't returnable, so for now I'm keeping them as my car bin, unless I find somebody that will buy them. So beware! If you order a pair for demoing, put on your kid gloves! The Noble 8x42s got the most use and didn't show any marks. The Legends didn't either.

The focus could be somewhat stiff, but was the smoothest. They are not water/fogproof like the others.

The Eye Relief is so great that when the cups are fully retracted I got severe blackout. Twisting out the cups about 6-8mms did the trick. I'll have to make this permanent using some rubberbands. The 8x42 Nobles had the same problem, but not as severe. I would probably have to move the cups out about 2mm.

I know it may seem like I'm damning the Sporters with faint praise. But they are $60-$100 less than the other 3, and just might be an easier fit for the price point of an earnest beginner.

Last edited:
Good stuff Bill. Thought you might be interested to know that over here in UK that doesn't represent faint praise at all for the Nikons in the light of fact they are available for just either side of £100. The new Legends are getting on for three times that. On another thread, someone from your side of the pond was asking advice on choosing between Pentax SP and B&L/Bushnell Elite. Over here the difference in price between these two models is a mere factor of two!
Anyways, always good to feel a critical eye is at work; wouldn't want to feel you are falling prey to the "Porter Effect" B :)

I upgraded from an old porro to the the sporter 8x36 from wh express some months ago and find them very good, they are alot brighter than my old bins, a tad heavy around the neck, but bearable.The only annoying thing I find is the rather naff twist up and down eye cups, they tend to move on there own accord, so after a suggestion from a member of bird forum I put some black electrical tape around the cups and this seems to of cured the problem.For the money they are very good and a bargin from warehouse express!!

Stuart

Hello,
I've got the 8x36 Sporters. They are really great, but the eyecups not staying 'they're supposed to' was driving me nuts. So I'll confess again. I know that I shouldn't have done this, but I used some rubber cement and glued the eyecups in place. With the eyecups kept in place the 8x36 Sporters are my favorite, but I don't think anyone else should do the silly thing I did. Actually I did the silly thing twice because I glued the eyecups to my 10x36 Sporters too.
marcus

[ Actually I did the silly thing twice because I glued the eyecups to my 10x36 Sporters too.
marcus[/QUOTE]

Someone on this site recommended using an elastic band to hold the eyecups in place: it works a treat: these are excellent bins, btw, the Leader of the Opposition has a pair, for 99 smackers they take a lot of beating.

I have the 10x. I use them at all times except sunrise or suset, when especially 10x and roof prism may be dim. I use a cheap 7x at those times.

All of you sound so much smarter than me! I know, you are.
I took a short walk this morning with my 8x36's, got a good look at of a Carolina Wren with them. That was my first one in a little while. Maybe a month.
You know, besides not being 100% waterproof, I've really got nothing negative to say about the 8x36. My 10x36 Sporters, of course, do not have a field of view as wide, and like Tero said, they aren't very bright when the light is dim. But I like them a lot too.
marcus

Last edited:
Today I ordered a pair of the 8x36 Nikon Sporter I binoculars for my boy. Lately he has been going birding with me, and needed a better pair of bins. I should receive them in a few days.

I looked at some auctions for these on ebay. I saw that on the box there are the letters DCF. What does this stand for?

Thanks, Doug

Bavariaboy said:
Today I ordered a pair of the 8x36 Nikon Sporter I binoculars for my boy. Lately he has been going birding with me, and needed a better pair of bins. I should receive them in a few days.

I looked at some auctions for these on ebay. I saw that on the box there are the letters DCF. What does this stand for?

Thanks, Doug

Doug,

It means roof prism with central focusing.

Dach(Roof) Central Focusing

John

New Sporter 10 x 36's - First thoughts

Finding my 20 yr old 10 x 40 Mirador Porro's a little heavy (dodgy arm doesn't help), seeing the feedback on here and an opportunity to get them on ebay brand new for £70 (okay there was $20 dollars shipping on top, and if they go wrong the US warranty isn't valid, but at that price...) I bought a pair.

I've only had a quick try out in one of the local parks so far but these are the first impressions:

Construction - seems okay, but nothing special. The rubber finish seems quite soft and will probably get cosmetically damaged fairly quickly but other than a slight uncertainty over the eye-cups they seem tough enough.

Brightness - No high end optics to test against, but in lowish light seemed to be nearly as bright as my 10x40's porro's - maybe not quite but the difference was fairly negligible.

Field of view - 5.6 is okay, but being used to 7 it's going to take a little gettng used to.

Balance/weight - not that light, but lighter than what I have been carrying and well balanced.

Sharpness - good but not a lot better than the Miradors.

Contrast handling - good - very little fringeing/CA compared to the Miradors (which weren't that bad anyway).

Ease of use - focusing nice and smooth. Setting up eye-relief seems a bit fiddley.

Overall - I'm very happy for the money - they're not perfect, but I have no major complaints and I think I'll get to like them.

What I'm really after is a 10x40 roof that's waterproof, fogproof, lightweight, 7+ degree field of view, crystal sharp and under £150, but I don't think there is one |:d|

Richard D said:
New Sporter 10 x 36's - First thoughts

What I'm really after is a 10x40 roof that's waterproof, fogproof, lightweight, 7+ degree field of view, crystal sharp and under £150, but I don't think there is one |:d|

How about the Nikon Monarch ? Slightly narrower FOW for the 10x42, but the 8X42 gives a fair 6.5 I think.Otherwise waterproof, fogproof, lightweight and affordable with good optics.

hawkeye_oo said:
How about the Nikon Monarch ? Slightly narrower FOW for the 10x42, but the 8X42 gives a fair 6.5 I think.Otherwise waterproof, fogproof, lightweight and affordable with good optics.

blythkeith said:
These
http://www.dhinds.co.uk/pages/fullProd.php?id=241

are apparently extraordinary for the price, according to at least one knowledgeable contributor on here, and are as close to your wish-list spec as I think you're likely to find....

Thanks - I thought about the Monarch's but they're quite a step up in price from the Sporters and I like 10x - I think in terms of priorities field of view and weight came above waterproofing. I haven't been overly impressed by the Celestron bins I've looked at, but I haven't tried that model.

I think I'll carry on with the Sporters for now until I have the resources/can justify a far dearer pair.

Richard

Eagle Optics has made a big price drop on the Sporters. The 8x36 are now $129. The 10s are $139. Perhaps they are being discontinued.

If you are looking at these and can spend $100 or so more, I would suggest you check out the new Nikon Monarch PCs or the Celestron Nobles.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back