• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (108 Viewers)

Early start at Lakenheath, a fine male Oriole, Bittern, very close Crane and of course the sublime RFF supported by hobby, scores of swifts and very showy warblers, kestrel and a few other bits and bobs. Last days birding in Norfolk for 5 weeks, lets see what I can get in Italy - good luck all and don't grip me off too much

According to Wikipedia, Percy Edwards was born in Ipswich (I didn't know that) and could accurately imitate over 600 birds! A Golden Oriole should have been a doddle. I am sure Percy Thrower was rubbish at bird impressions but was a demon in his shirt sleeves the potting shed.

For some reason I remember Ken Dodd making a joke about 50 years ago along the lines of, "What's that bird over there? Why, it's Percy Edwards and he's got oil on his legs."

Ron

Last edited:
Hi Kieran

Did you 'smash' The Point yesterday? I was thinking about walking BP again yesterday, but thought better of it after already walking it twice this week!

Penny:girl:

Hey Penny,

As I am sure you know, the weather conditions on the run up to the weekend forecast a degree of easterly and cloud/possible precipitation. Reasonable conditions for a day on the point, I am sure most will agree. The blistering sunshine, clear skies and a switch in wind direction left me scratching my head and after a long day in Kent the previous day, I decided to catch up on some other bits. A real shame, I was looking forward to it immensely, but didn't think it was profitable.

Apart from the remaining Bluethroat, I saw no new reports from the Point and hoped I had made the right choice. Not to say that there was nothing up there.

Kieran

Hey Penny,

As I am sure you know, the weather conditions on the run up to the weekend forecast a degree of easterly and cloud/possible precipitation. Reasonable conditions for a day on the point, I am sure most will agree. The blistering sunshine, clear skies and a switch in wind direction left me scratching my head and after a long day in Kent the previous day, I decided to catch up on some other bits. A real shame, I was looking forward to it immensely, but didn't think it was profitable.

Apart from the remaining Bluethroat, I saw no new reports from the Point and hoped I had made the right choice. Not to say that there was nothing up there.

Kieran
I don't know - no energy you youngsters!!8-P Seriously though you probably didn't miss too much – we hope!

Early start at Lakenheath, a fine male Oriole, Bittern, very close Crane and of course the sublime RFF supported by hobby, scores of swifts and very showy warblers, kestrel and a few other bits and bobs. Last days birding in Norfolk for 5 weeks, lets see what I can get in Italy - good luck all and don't grip me off too much
Being as the 'MODS' have not deleted any of the Suffolk postings on here, I will join in too;).

Hi Johny - congratulations on your Golden Oriole sighting:t: Whereabouts did you see it please? First or second plantation or?

I don't see any problem with talking about lakenheath on here, the wash is in Norfolk and the rest of the reserve is within 100m of the county boundary ! It's not like we're discussing languard which really is in suffolk.

I assume you are joking, but if not then maybe you should refresh yourself with an OS map and where the county border actually is... see the attached, I've highlighted the 'border' (very badly) in red :t:
Ahh a newby, not wise to birding politics:). Refreshing I guess. Ill restate tho that I have neither the time nor energy to elaborate:)

That or I know a forum where ill be outnumbered.

Needless to say tho if the guy wanted Montys on the Suffolk list he would apply birds seen in areas fully accepted by the Suffolk committee and Suffolk bird reports. I guess these are bonus birds ie the Kildeer which can be accepted onto both lists if one so desired. Not that I personally desire as such,,,in my book ive never seen Kildeer in Norfolk....

To get you thinking and maybe researching ill offer that many a birder by your laws will not have seen a Ring-billed Gull in Essex but will have seen one in the administerial boundary "county" of Southend on sea...look deep youll work it out....you may even stumble across the words "Watsonian" , "1973" and scientific concepts such as keeping a the same comparable area over many years and geographical boundaries such as rivers being the best way to split counties as it always was in the past, rather than "wheres the nearest town" purely for administerial purposes which could then change in any given year.... (dont worry the BBRC was given this treatment too, but they remain stubborn)

I believe insect recorders stick to the old boundaries as it is clearly the way to do it scientifically. The Suffolk birds committee as stated sticks to said old boundaries, reasons as above.....the national BBRC DOESNT, its ok tho if they want to make more work for themselves go for it, whats the latest "county" by their standards...god only knows but they pop up by the week.....

/rant off (and yes indeed you did force me into the time and energy to elaborate:()

Last edited:
Hi Johny - congratulations on your Golden Oriole sighting:t: Whereabouts did you see it please? First or second plantation or?

Penny:girl:[/QUOTE]

Hey there,

It flew from 2nd plantation overhead to the first about 8.45 am !

“A gloom like October, not May,
Found this chap down the track, a short way.
It was easily Spotted,
By my cam’ra soon potted,
And became the best bird of the day.”

Attachments

• Spotty Fly Warham Greens.jpg
    Spotty Fly Warham Greens.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 209
  • 032pse.jpg
    032pse.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 100
Titchwell May 20th

Today’s highlights

Dunlin – 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – drake on grazing marsh pool

Paul

A few pictures of the Red-spotted Bluethroat at Blakeney Point.

More pictures on blog.

Attachments

• IMG_8743 crop.1 jpg.jpg
    IMG_8743 crop.1 jpg.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8763 crop 2.jpg
    IMG_8763 crop 2.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8771 crop 3.jpg
    IMG_8771 crop 3.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_8759 crop 4.jpg
    IMG_8759 crop 4.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 94
"border Disputes"

I assume you are joking, but if not then maybe you should refresh yourself with an OS map and where the county border actually is... see the attached, I've highlighted the 'border' (very badly) in red :t:

As a non Norfolk person, you have my commiserations which regard to the "BORDER DISPUTES" that you have become involved in, I fish quite regularly at Goreleston (Norfolk). The locals of the patch are very territorial and defensive on the issue of Norfolk Suffolk disputes. It depends how old you are, as to which opinion they defend. Its all because they keep moving the border.
The best story of this that I've heard is of Beccles church.
If you study the 4 tower faces you will see that there are only 3 clocks.
It is said that the Suffolk people were not prepared to pay for a clock that only them buggers in Norfolk could see.
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back