• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (114 Viewers)

Hi all,could anyone point me in the direction of some good little owl locations here in norfolk please?,would love to see one as havent had much luck finding them.If anyone could pm me please.
As EBB has already said, Abbey Farm at Flitcham is a good place to start. I have also seen Little Owls on the back roads around Ringstead, but not seen any for a while now. Also on the road that runs from Holme crossroads to Ringstead. Good luck.

Best Wishes
Penny:girl:

Hi we were in Norfolk last week not far from Kings Lynn at a village called Litcham, we had a great week Snettisham was a bit quite when we went as the tide was well out, but one of our best days was spent at Sculthope reserve, with 50 plus bramblings, along with marsh tit, and bullfinches,we had a day at Titchwell, and saw the Black Brant, also grey Plover, we had to cancel visit on the Friday to Cley as they had quite rightly closed the reserve, it will take a lot of time, effort and money to put every thing back to near normal, the only good thing was no body as far as I know died.
Sculthorpe Moore is a cracking reserve, I am a member, but don't visit it enough! Glad you enjoyed your trip to Norfolk:t:

Hello all, will be visiting Haddiscoe with a couple of uni friends on Saturday. Going by the train and having never been to Waverney forest, I was wondering if the view point, or mound. Is obvious to find? Much appreciated!

Hello all, will be visiting Haddiscoe with a couple of uni friends on Saturday. Going by the train and having never been to Waverney forest, I was wondering if the view point, or mound. Is obvious to find? Much appreciated!

Hi. You have a number of options ... all involving a bit of a walk!! Either way you'll start off with about 1/2 mile walk back from the station to the bridge over the New Cut. If you're intent on going to the mound you can follow the A143 East for a mile or so into Fritton, then take the left turn after the pub (I think it's the Decoy), then follow that road until you get to the parking area for the forest from which there are paths into the forest. I have to admit that personally I find reaching the mound a bit hit & miss (but there will probably be other birders about) so generally head NW to the edge of the forest where it overlooks the island/marshes.

The other option - which I personally prefer - is to just walk the East bank footpath following the New Cut (you have to cross the New Cut bridge then turn right back on yourselves to find the footpath where it starts under the bridge). This gives you an elevated view over the New Cut, Haddiscoe/Thorpe marshes to the left & the Island to the right along with the soke dykes which follow the paths (beardies & bittern last winter). Last winter the RLB was often just as close - and often much closer - than from the forest!! I haven't been out yet this winter, but I usually find this a more interesting & more varied overall birding experience than the forest (unless you particularly like dog sh*t ;)). If you walk the entire path it's about 45 minutes to do the whole thing.

Just a thought, but may be well worth checking out/contacting the Lowestoft lizards as they do most of the birding out here & can no doubt give you the best idea where the RLB's are hanging out this year & optimise your approach.

http://home.clara.net/ammodytes/

Last thing - I'm assuming that Network Rail have finished repairing the Norwich/Lowestoft line & re-started services as the line was damaged by last weeks floods & they had suspended service. Good luck!

Chris A.

I saw them well from Reedham earlier in the year. there is a station there which would make it easier to get to from norwich. If not immediately visible you could take the footpath towards Berney which may give you some views

Titchwell December 12th

Today's highlights

Red kite - 1 over reserve at 11:45
Long tailed duck - 3 offshore
Woodcock - 1 south over reserve

Twite - 1 south over Snettisham this morning

Paul

Hi Paul,
I went again on Sunday morning and the 'Parrot's' showed well for around 10 minutes feeding in a dead pine tree - there were 9 in total. Be aware though, there is a flock of Common Crossbills which at distance, can be confusing.
They are generally around a clearing opposite a sign for 'Edgefield' (travel past the Holt Country Park for approx 1/2mile until you see the sign for Edgefield, then park in the field just before the sign which is on your left) either in the coniferous wooded areas or out in the open on the dead trees.
It seems they are not always reported and as they have been around foe a while now, the locals have generally seen them several times.
You should still be ok as they seem to be staying around.

Looked for them today and couldn't find any crossbills. There did not seem to be any other birders around when I was there. Will try again tomorrow.

Titchwell December 13th

Today's highlights

Yellow browed warbler - 1 in ditch by main path between the visitor centre and meadow trail
Spotted redshank - 4 on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter - 2 offshore
Great Northern diver - 2 offshore
Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 6 offshore
Red necked grebe - 2 offshore

Paul

Salthouse/Kelling/Weybourne Past Glories

Hello guys,

If anyone has any photos of past rarities between Salthouse's Beach Road and Weybourne's Beach Lane, that they wouldn't mind me using (fully credited of course) then could you please PM me. Also, if you can think through any 'good' birds up that have been within this area.

I know there has been Marcus Nash's Red-flanked Bluetail and Dusky Warbler. John Furse's Two-barred Crossbill (and Greater-spotted Cuckoo?) Various Citrine Wagtails, Lesser grey Shrike. Was there a Blyth's Reed at Gram' Hill also? But what else?

Cheers guys and hope your all keeping warm,

Kieran

There was a Collared Pratincole at Salthouse east of the beach road in 2009, (I remember dipping it)

Hello guys,

If anyone has any photos of past rarities between Salthouse's Beach Road and Weybourne's Beach Lane, that they wouldn't mind me using (fully credited of course) then could you please PM me. Also, if you can think through any 'good' birds up that have been within this area.

I know there has been Marcus Nash's Red-flanked Bluetail and Dusky Warbler. John Furse's Two-barred Crossbill (and Greater-spotted Cuckoo?) Various Citrine Wagtails, Lesser grey Shrike. Was there a Blyth's Reed at Gram' Hill also? But what else?

Kieran

Hello guys,

Kieran

Hi Kieran

I have seen two Bairds, Three White-rumped a Broard-billed and a Pec within 200 yds of Salthouse Beach car park or beach Rd.

John
www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

ps other birds in the past in report. Black-eared Wheatear, Two Raddes (one quags, one Salthouse) Cattle Egret x2, Rustic Bunting, two R.T.Pipit, Little Bittern. Seen myself, Woodchat, many Richards Pipit, Tawny Pipit, 2x Pallas`s, Ross`s Goose in off sea, RF Bluetail on the camp, plus the big one, although 100yds west of Beach Rd, Little Whimbrel, will think of a few others.

Last edited:
Hi Kieran

I have seen two Bairds, Three White-rumped a Broard-billed and a Pec within 200 yds of Salthouse Beach car park or beach Rd.

John
www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

ps other birds in the past in report. Black-eared Wheatear, Two Raddes (one quags, one Salthouse) Cattle Egret x2, Rustic Bunting, two R.T.Pipit, Little Bittern. Seen myself, Woodchat, many Richards Pipit, Tawny Pipit, 2x Pallas`s, Ross`s Goose in off sea, RF Bluetail on the camp, plus the big one, although 100yds west of Beach Rd, Little Whimbrel, will think of a few others.

Thanks John and James, plus those who have inboxed me. Like I said before, if anyone has images of birds in the area, please let me know.

Night guys,

Kieran

Titchwell December 14th

Today's highlights

Black throated diver - 1 offshore
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Long tailed duck - 9 offshore
Velvet scoter - 2 drakes offshore
Ruff - 97 on fresh marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail east

Paul

Walked from Cley to Salthouse and the beach has been transformed into a new and beautiful landscape. Red Kite seen over Gramborough Hill and Merlin over Arnold's Marsh late afternoon.

Full update on blog.

Cute;) Baby Seal on Cley Beach

Attachments

• IMG_8299 crop.jpg
    IMG_8299 crop.jpg
    325 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Anyone know were the Rose-colored Starling is hanging out in Caister? Also where on the N Denes in Gt Yarmouth the Shorelark flock is hanging out?

Am planning to visit tomorrow at some point and the Rose-colored Starling would be a lifer for my friend.

Any hints gratefully received.

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

Back