• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (98 Viewers)

No sign of the Richard's Pipit at Kelling when I looked! More incredible scenes of debris from the storm, including North Hide strewn amongst the reed debris.:eek!:

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

I must admit I too was engrossed with those shows. Sam Bailey stood out from day one for me but towards the end I started to get a sneaking regard for Luke and was surprised when he came third.

Just read your Sunday Blog and yet again a good read. What's next. A walk to Cromer then a few walks down the east coast. You have at least another months correspondence ahead of you.:t:

John

Thanks John - watching 'Strictly' and X Factor has stopped me adding pictures this evening! Only just finished writing today's post! Will sort through and add them tomorrow night.

Surge damage

We headed for the coast on Saturday fearing the worst, and weren't "disappointed". Cley Beach Road was still closed while repairs appeared to be being carried out to the West Bank (we could see two or three breaches). The Beach Hotel appears to still be in-situ, which is something I suppose. No access to the reserve, and the East Bank remained impassable. Salthouse Beach road was closed to vehicles, but there's no beach car park left anyway - the Granborough sign is just visible above the re-profiled shingle, which has reached at least 20m down the beach road. At Kelling, the track down to the Quagg is fine, but the field at the end is deep in debris (looks like reed, although loads of the big plastic-covered straw bales were broken open and scattered over the footpath). Bits of what look like the Cley North Hide were also scattered over the field. As has been said already, large parts of the shingle bank appear to simply be gone. It is impressive that the water has largely gone from the marshes (a tribute to the new sluices), but who knows how long the habitat will take to recover, and I guess it will be some time before anything like normal access returns to this part of the coast

Titchwell December 16th

Today;s highlights

Great Northern diver - 2 offshore
Velvet scoter - 5 offshore
Ruff - 88 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 1400 on fresh marsh
Pintail - 70 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 8 on fresh marsh
Lapwing - 1200 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 5 on volunteer marsh

Paul

I have just seen this article. I guess we cannot comment or speculate on it at the moment as he has not been found guilty of any crime but I will be interested to read the Court's findings.

Ron

Wow!! you have been busy. Excellent set of photos again Penny. The Seal pup steals the show though, although the photos of the Cley Sea Watch shelter paints an excellent picture of just how devastating that storm surge was.

John

Wow!! you have been busy. Excellent set of photos again Penny. The Seal pup steals the show though, although the photos of the Cley Sea Watch shelter paints an excellent picture of just how devastating that storm surge was.

John
Thanks John:t: and 35 pictures now added to Sunday's Post

Penny:girl:

Amazing images, especially West Runton. I hadn't realised it had been hit that hard.

Is that your finale or are you venturing down the east side to document the damage down that coast.

John

Really enjoyed (perhaps not the right word!) seeing all the photos of storm damage along the north coast (especially Penny's blog) and managed to see some at first hand a couple of days after the storm. The areas most affected were not unsurprisingly the 'soft' defences while the cliffs immediately east of Weybourne seemed relatively unscathed.
However, have dug out an old picture which show Weybourne Coastguards about 100 years ago and those who know the site will see that much of the original garden has disappeared although at current rates of erosion the buildings should be good for another 100 years!

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back