• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (98 Viewers)

Simple flaps

hey

don't knock those window wheel things, they're good upper body exercise and classic 1930s German battleship technology to boot

I don't know how anyone can not love that hide to bits

all it is missing is one of those brass gear lever things with "vorwaerts ! / halb-vorwaerts / halb-zuruck / zuruck !" etched into it

Titchwell May 19th

Today’s highlights

Temminck’s stint – 3 on fresh marsh from Island Hide all day
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh briefly @ 15:00 before flying east
Avocet – 185 on fresh marsh
Hobby – 1 over reedbed
Red crested pochard – drake on grazing marsh pool

Paul

Spotted Crake

Hey all,
Quick question: Was at Strumpshaw Fen this evening and heard two birds that I believe are Spotted Crakes.
Is this likely? I am 99% sure it wasn't Water Rail, very different calls.
Cheers
ps: Also of note, I believe the American Dunlin that was seen at Cley the other day may now be at Minsmere. Haven't reported it as not 100% but very distinctive bird.

Spotted crake Strumpshaw

Hey all,
Quick question: Was at Strumpshaw Fen this evening and heard two birds that I believe are Spotted Crakes.
Is this likely? I am 99% sure it wasn't Water Rail, very different calls.
Cheers

There is every chance of getting a spotted crake at Strumpshaw
Something to check out / await confirmation
I am not sure anyone actually saw them but I heard two spotted crakes at Strumpshaw on the evening of June 20 2001. One was south of the river and the other somewhere in the middle of the main reserve south of the cottage where the swallowtails can be seen on the flower border.

fairly quiet on the patch this morning with Swallows moving along the far bank, great weather and a multiple of birds being active and singing. Then bumped into a reputable tour leader on the way back from the Spotted Reshank, sorry Red-necked Phalarope (don't think I haven't forgotten Mr Mills ; - ) Anyway mate they are Vibram Five Fingers http://www.fivefingersuk.org/classic-men-c-163.html
in a lot of ways the perfect birders shoe.

I was then walking back towards Blakeney cutting through the fruit farm. As i got to the field between the two self closing gates (east side of the Freshes) I bumped into a female Pied Fly and 1-2 Spotted) always thought this area had potential, could this be the beginning of a little unexpected something on the Point this afternoon?

Oliver, try listening to some of the Spotted Crake songs at this Xeno Canto link. Perhaps you'll get confirmation of what you heard...

James

That does help a fair bit! I don't really think having listened again it had that 2 part call like the Spotted Crake, so think I'm siding for Water Rail as the recording I have just doesn't have that low-high call.

Last edited:
Good morning today with Little Owl, Redstart, Firecrest and Spotted Flycatcher, see link for full report and photos of Spot Fly, Redstart Photo is on home page. There not too shoddy considering I digi'ed them with a RSPB AG80 scope and an old compact camera.

http://apprenticebirdersdiary.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/7115493-wretham-lynford-20-05-11

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the clement weather

Regards Kieran

Great update and good to see Flycatchers being seen regularly now :)

Garden birds

OK: the amount of food we put out in our smallish garden does attract the odd rat :( but it also brings in a lot of really welcome visitors too!
These were here this am!

Attachments

• Turtle Dove.jpg
    Turtle Dove.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 108
  • RLPs on roof.jpg
    RLPs on roof.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 91
Spotted flycatcher prospecting for nest site this morning in our village, again, very pleased to see them return - thet were the commonest bird for one day last week in Lesvos nearly every bush, twig, garden had one- amazing to see such large numbers.

Headed orf into the blue yonder

A (fairly) early sortie to West Runton, teaming up with Ian (on VizMigWatch), yielded my first Turtle Dove of the year, flying west (he’d had 2 others), and male Blue-headed Wagtail.

The latter was with 2 female types (probably flavissima), all putting down amongst the cattle for only a few minutes: not even enough time for me to get my ‘scope up and on to them. They were off, with no evident provocation, other than the desire to be somewhere else.

The poorish pic shows the male in bovine shadow.

Attachments

• 003psesmsmsm_edited-1.jpg
    003psesmsmsm_edited-1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 125
Spotted flycatcher prospecting for nest site this morning in our village, again, very pleased to see them return - thet were the commonest bird for one day last week in Lesvos nearly every bush, twig, garden had one- amazing to see such large numbers.

its a simple observation to make but there was a movement of Spotted Flys through Portland this week and since East Anglian migrants are presumably birds moving through the country then stopping when they get to the sea, its a site http://www.portlandbirdobs.org.uk/ worth keeping an eye on as arrivals of particular migrants can be gauged fairly accurately. Even if the weather seems unfavourable here but was condusive a couple of days previously there we can still anticipate some 'knock on', just look at what happened at spurn http://www.spurnbirdobservatory.co.uk/sightings/may11.html on the 15th of this month.

A (fairly) early sortie to West Runton, teaming up with Ian (on VizMigWatch), yielded my first Turtle Dove of the year, flying west (he’d had 2 others), and male Blue-headed Wagtail.

The latter was with 2 female types (probably flavissima), all putting down amongst the cattle for only a few minutes: not even enough time for me to get my ‘scope up and on to them. They were off, with no evident provocation, other than the desire to be somewhere else.

The poorish pic shows the male in bovine shadow.

And you have the cheek to diss my photos !! I reckon my grey-headed photo is no worse than that and I took it in gale force winds with no tripod, telescope and phone hand held.

Club Med ?

Arriving at WRunton this mornin', I beheld the sight of 5 Med Gulls in one of the fields: 3 ads, 2S and 1S. Some yelping ensued.

Despite much walking about, with Ian’s keen eyes and ears on the prowl, we saw little else: hardly any vizmig.

Later, 2 more ad Meds flew west, followed by 2 more- this may have made a total of 9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back