• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (78 Viewers)

Monties

Hi all, planning a trip up next weekend and am hoping to check out Monties and Honeys (yeah right, okay...........)

Just to check, are the Monties at the usual place this year? If they're anywhere else I'd very much appreciate a PM to let me know.

Many thanks

Viv

A lone Gannet circling and 2 Sandwich Terns west off Overstrand this morning.

Does anyone know a good site for Early Purple Orchids near Norwich? I didn't have any luck at an old site I used to see them at, and couldn't even find any at Foxley either.

nobody should be PM'ing anybody about Montagu's Harrier

the number of people that know about their previous whereabouts is bad enough. I'm thinking of setting up a hot dog van there

Titchwell May 23rd

Today’s highlights

Red kite – 2 west @ 11:30
Curlew sandpiper – 1 on fresh marsh am only
Spoonbill – 1 briefly @ 13:30
Little ringed plover – 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Just got home!!!!

Stonking Male Common Rosefinch at Walsey Hills!!!!!

More pictures and full account will be on blog shortly!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_1263-web.jpg
    IMG_1263-web.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1324-web.jpg
    IMG_1324-web.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Back again! I really feel quite privileged to have Turtle Doves, RLPs and Redstarts in my little garden!

Fantastic stuff! How are the Redstarts doing? I wonder how many pairs go unnoticed in our county.
Hoping for a Spotted Flycatcher at Surlingham CM soon; bird/s in at Strumpshaw. Lack of updates on the blog of late folks, of this I am aware, but hope to put that right soon.
So, was Mr. Bonaparte always a Black-headed?!
Cheers,
Jim.

Born on 24th May Carlo Bonaparte

The gull is named after Prince Charles Lucien Bonaparte

Charles Lucien (Carlo) Jules Laurent Bonaparte, 2nd Prince of Canino and Musignano (May 24, 1803 – July 29, 1857) was a French naturalist and ornithologist.

Bonaparte was the son of Lucien Bonaparte and Alexandrine de Bleschamp, and nephew of Emperor Napoleon.

Before leaving Italy, Carlo had already discovered a warbler new to science, the Moustached Warbler, and on the voyage he collected specimens of a new storm-petrel. On arrival in the United States, he presented a paper on this new bird, which was later named after Alexander Wilson.

Alas no record on the birthday of the ornithologist the bird is named after.
Only a confusable black-headed gull....

I was just about to ask the same question as I've just heard that it was a BHG all the time...

Fantastic stuff! How are the Redstarts doing? I wonder how many pairs go unnoticed in our county.
Hoping for a Spotted Flycatcher at Surlingham CM soon; bird/s in at Strumpshaw. Lack of updates on the blog of late folks, of this I am aware, but hope to put that right soon.
So, was Mr. Bonaparte always a Black-headed?!
Cheers,
Jim.

The original sighting - a North Hide fly-by - I'd stake my shirt on (although I'd get terrible odds!). The others... who knows.

James

Lovely sunny day at Cley, but no rares today! 4 Little Stints, little and ringed plovers and a little gull at Daukes' Hide this evening.

Full update on blog.

Penny Clarke:girl:

A window of opportunity

Just now (0530h), I made another cup of tea, looked out of my kitchen window and flushed a Grey Heron from the little ornamental pond opposite.

Possible Bonaparte's Gull at Cley

Hi Guys
Here's a crap digiscope photo of juvenile gull at cley on Sunday night from Daukes hide.
Thoughts please, sorry for late post, just got back home.|:S|

Attachments

• P5220054.jpg
    P5220054.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 285

Users who are viewing this thread

Back