• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (101 Viewers)

Titchwell January 19th

Today’s highlights

Coue’s arctic redpoll – still present but elusive
Mealy redpoll – 2 with redpoll flock
Long tailed duck – 4 offshore
Bittern – 1 in flight over reedbed, reported booming briefly this afternoon
Spotted redshank – 4 on saltmarsh

Paul

That Chinese Water Deer is gruesomely fantastic - pretty odd sight, I expect. The contrast by how shredded the mother is and how intact the fawns are is... odd.

Also, I know I asked before, but any info on whether the Kelling Redpolls are viewable to the public and where exactly are they?

Cheers everyone.

Also, I know I asked before, but any info on whether the Kelling Redpolls are viewable to the public and where exactly are they?

I went and visited the site today, and 'Yes' they are visible from the road (at a distance of about 10 feet!!) There is no footpath on the west side, but sensible and safe viewing will provide fantastic views. From the 'triangle' at the top of the road walk south and past the first building, where you will then find a small wall (3 feet high?!) this is where the birds are feeding on niger seeds on the grass and in some feeders.

Please park, as requested, in the parking area by the school as there is building work going on, and walk back south across the road.

I met some people there late afternoon (presumably after the birds had gone to roost) who had parked along the road. I asked, if they returned, to park as stated so that space wasn't taken up for the locals: the reply? 'We are local, we come from Holt'! Not sure if I get the irony.

Ben - on a recent visit to Buckenham there was a party of 7 Barnacles feeding amongst the Taiga Beans and I wondered if you knew whether the feral ones ever split into smaller groups and joined fully wild Geese?

James

I believe they do, I have also seen them in with the Taigas, Tundras, whitefronts and pinks. That said the usual flock is somewhere in the region of 30 individuals and I had 53 on one date last year at about the same time that Barnacles were on the N Norfolk coast. Its possible 'real' birds mix in from time to time but there is just no way of knowing as far as I can tell.
The large numbers of Whitefronts on the reserve this winter was most probably due to a reserve in Suffolk being dryer than usual. If that is the case there may well be a 'flow' of Barnacles from the Suffolk coast too?

I went and visited the site today, and 'Yes' they are visible from the road (at a distance of about 10 feet!!) There is no footpath on the west side, but sensible and safe viewing will provide fantastic views. From the 'triangle' at the top of the road walk south and past the first building, where you will then find a small wall (3 feet high?!) this is where the birds are feeding on niger seeds on the grass and in some feeders.

Please park, as requested, in the parking area by the school as there is building work going on, and walk back south across the road.

I met some people there late afternoon (presumably after the birds had gone to roost) who had parked along the road. I asked, if they returned, to park as stated so that space wasn't taken up for the locals: the reply? 'We are local, we come from Holt'! Not sure if I get the irony.

So would I be right in thinking somewhere around the arrow on this map? http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?...archp=ids.srf&dn=836&ax=609352&ay=342832&lm=0

I've found the school and what I think is the 'triangle' you mentioned, so head south, second building on the west side of the road?

Probably be some birders around anyway, but just in case I have to try and find it myself.

This is of no help to you but, as the saying goes, you should have been here earlier. In June last year a pregnant female Chinese Water Deer was hit by a train at Buckenham station and three fully developed but unborn calves were ripped out of her womb and left in the middle of the track. It was an horrific but strangely fascinating sight. I had been wondering what to do with this image but it might be of interest to you.

WARNING:
DO NOT CLICK ON THE THUMBNAIL IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH!

If anybody thinks this post should be removed, please let me know and I will delete it.

Ron

I hit one of these near great yarmouth a few years ago. When asked by the insurance company who was at fault i recall saying " it was bambi who is now dead." Deer in norfolk, bloody menace!! Should start a cull of those too!! They also taste great!@

Quick queries to Yare valley birders:

- when the LWFG is at Cantley rather than Buckenham, where is best to watch it from? Bottom of School Lane? Or from the footpath. In the past few days, it seems to be 'near the railway line' - but unclear at what point...

- best place to watch the Buckenham Carrs corvid roost from? The station or elsewhere?

PM me if you prefer.

many thanks

James L

Seriously, there are too many deer and they cause a large number of accidents each year. Having a deer leap out out in front of you when you are driving at 60 mph is not an experience you want to repeat. Agree that the species involved are the the result of introductions by man. That said would not wish nobody a deer hitting anyone, even a veggie, guardian reading pinko!!!

re Cley Western Sand

Care to share the thoughts in summary? Be interested in thoughts on both birds.:t:

To quote (paraphrase) Mark Golley in Birding World 24, 12, ....... "assessment of the moult and structure (especially the body and bill shape) were vital components in the identification process, while the suite of characters that clinched the id. included the colour and pattern of the retained juvenile scapulars."
This bird was of particular interest to me, as I saw the Nov 1982 Felixstowe bird which was firstly id'ed as Western, later confirmed as Semi-P on similar plumage criteria.
As for the "other" peep, which I didn't see (being pre-occupied with the Western, I'm ashamed to say) it remains a mystery, with aberrant Dunlin or hybrid Dunlin/Little Stint/White-rumped Sand among the suggestions.
Thanks for the post, wolfbirder, can I say that my only connection with your location is my love for the football team,ref my avatar!!!!!!! Regards, Graham

Just been sticking my World List on Bubo and was wondering if anyone could confirm if the 1991 Lesser White-front at Stanhoe was ever accepted? BBRC pontificated over it for a while, but I'm not sure of the final outcome...

Just been sticking my World List on Bubo and was wondering if anyone could confirm if the 1991 Lesser White-front at Stanhoe was ever accepted? BBRC pontificated over it for a while, but I'm not sure of the final outcome...

Mark - I don't think it was accepted. I saw it myself but have never included it on my lists. Perhaps someone else can elaborate...

James

Ring-necked Duck

This delightful bird was showing really well in front of the Maltsters at lunchtime.

Attachments

• RND VERY BEST.jpg
    RND VERY BEST.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 165
  • RND BEST2.jpg
    RND BEST2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 120
To quote (paraphrase) Mark Golley in Birding World 24, 12, ....... "assessment of the moult and structure (especially the body and bill shape) were vital components in the identification process, while the suite of characters that clinched the id. included the colour and pattern of the retained juvenile scapulars."
This bird was of particular interest to me, as I saw the Nov 1982 Felixstowe bird which was firstly id'ed as Western, later confirmed as Semi-P on similar plumage criteria.
As for the "other" peep, which I didn't see (being pre-occupied with the Western, I'm ashamed to say) it remains a mystery, with aberrant Dunlin or hybrid Dunlin/Little Stint/White-rumped Sand among the suggestions.
Thanks for the post, wolfbirder, can I say that my only connection with your location is my love for the football team,ref my avatar!!!!!!! Regards, Graham

Thanks for that Graham.

And of course, I love em too, just looks pretty grim! But keep the faith! :t:

A very difficult bird to id. Does the article explain the process of how the bird was confidently id as a Semi P to becoming a Western Sand three days later?

A very difficult bird to id. Does the article explain the process of how the bird was confidently id as a Semi P to becoming a Western Sand three days later?

Why don't you buy a copy, Mark:-O?

What I can say on the subject is that the bird was hopping around this evening, presumably with a damaged left leg - so it could either be around for a very long time, or very short!;)

Why don't you buy a copy, Mark:-O?

What I can say on the subject is that the bird was hopping around this evening, presumably with a damaged left leg - so it could either be around for a very long time, or very short!;)

Dave get bb instead. Never been a fan of twitching magazine despite being a twitcher!!

It was great to meet 'Al' today by his garden in Kelling.

It sounds as if the behaviour of those visiting has been good, so far - let's hope this continues (for the benefit of the birds, Al and his neighbours).

Police cones have now been put along The Street to continue to encourage parking away from here. I believe the owner of The Reading Loke has been asking people not to park by the Cafe/Book Shop. Parking is available east of the school, north of the A 149.

The birds are absolutely fantastic and I have really enjoyed the experience and the marvel they are creating!

PS a customary wave and 'good morning' to any locals, I'm sure, would be appreciated by all!

Mark, this was clearly a tricky bird to ID, I doubt the finders will appreciate your tone ! claiming a semi-p in Norfolk is a big call, claiming a western is a massive call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back