• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (120 Viewers)

Just been sticking my World List on Bubo and was wondering if anyone could confirm if the 1991 Lesser White-front at Stanhoe was ever accepted? BBRC pontificated over it for a while, but I'm not sure of the final outcome...

Not accepted due to a twisted/broken primary ? And maybe wrong carrier species, wasn't it with pink feet ? It's on my list, I think quite a lot of other people counted it !

Dave. I have bought the odd copy. To be honest there are some very good photos of rarities and some decent id articles. I just prefer the format of bb. That said bb has improved significantly under since the change of editor.

Mark, this was clearly a tricky bird to ID, I doubt the finders will appreciate your tone ! claiming a semi-p in Norfolk is a big call, claiming a western is a massive call.

Stu. The bird clearly had pro western features from day one. The state of mount was clearly the key facter in the initial id as a semi p then changed as the moult between the two species became less clear cut. An educational process and as a "pleb" just interested in how id on this tricky peep was sorted out. Even the most experienced can change there opinion on the basis of new id information which is clearly what happened in this case. Birders in the states changed there opinions on this bird which suggests how tricky the id was. Given the discussion of this bird on id forums it would be educational to find out how and why the bird was re id as a western by those involved who maintained radio silence at the time. I recall you asking lots of questions at the time in respect of this difficult bird. Always asked the why questions stuart and can not see why anybody who is at the top of there subject would be offended by that? I have found the top birders such as martin garner always willing to share their knowledge. The suggestion that asking why is in someway questioning the knowledge of those involved appears to exist in your rationale but does not in mine. If you with to discuss your earlier comments please sent me a pm.

Last edited:
Silly question time!
What is the best way to get onto the 'river bank' at Whitlingham, I've only ever viewed from the Broad side! Is the Ferruginous Duck viewable from this side or where?!?

Stu. The bird clearly had pro western features from day one. The state of mount was clearly the key facter in the initial id as a semi p then changed as the moult between the two species became less clear cut. An educational process and as a "pleb" just interested in how id on this tricky peep was sorted out. Anything wrong with that stuart?

Isn't it down to how one asks a question, Mark -especially if one already knows the answer:eat:

Last edited:
It was great to meet 'Al' today by his garden in Kelling.

It sounds as if the behaviour of those visiting has been good, so far - let's hope this continues (for the benefit of the birds, Al and his neighbours).

Police cones have now been put along The Street to continue to encourage parking away from here. I believe the owner of The Reading Loke has been asking people not to park by the Cafe/Book Shop. Parking is available east of the school, north of the A 149.

The birds are absolutely fantastic and I have really enjoyed the experience and the marvel they are creating!

PS a customary wave and 'good morning' to any locals, I'm sure, would be appreciated by all!

Well said David! I have met Al twice on my walks around Kelling and he is a top guy and a top birder, always a pleasure.

Totally echo your comments on the Redpolls, as a flock they are fantastic to watch, don't think I have ever seen a better flock of birds to observe.

Also just want to echo the point about parking just east of the school adjacent to the schools football pitch, the best viewing for everyone is when the street is kept as quiet as possible, despite the noisy builders!

Silly question time!
What is the best way to get onto the 'river bank' at Whitlingham, I've only ever viewed from the Broad side! Is the Ferruginous Duck viewable from this side or where?!?

Hi David.

From what I have been told, the Fudge Duck has spent most of its time tucked up on the North shore of the Great Broad. This means that you can't see it from the bird screen, which views looking east. You might be able to see it from the main path, but there are reeds obscurring the views. The riverbank path is just up on the bank running parallel to the main path, so if you walk round until you're parallel with the island then climb up onto the riverbank path (near a bench) you will get a better view of the shore of the island.

I'll be there late morning, so I may see you there :t:

Silly question time!

Also a reminder that City are at home with a 12.45 kick off, so anyone will want to aviod trying to get to Whitlingham via Carrow Road around that time

I hit one of these near great yarmouth a few years ago. When asked by the insurance company who was at fault i recall saying " it was bambi who is now dead." Deer in norfolk, bloody menace!! Should start a cull of those too!! They also taste great!@

At least it was a non-native species, could have been a lot worse ;-) Hope the damage to your car wasn't too serious. Did the insurance company pay out?

Thayer's Gull reported Sheringham this morning, flew east from west promenade.

Report I saw (on RBA) said probable juv Kumlien's or Thayer's on beach at 08:50 then flew passed the sea-watching shelter towards East Runton at 09:05 - hopefully more will come out during the course of the day.

At least it was a non-native species, could have been a lot worse ;-) Hope the damage to your car wasn't too serious. Did the insurance company pay out?

Thanks Kay. The problems caused by non native Deer are considerable, although man is to blame due to the initial introductions. There is debate over the actual number of accidents caused by Deer, although the figure must go into thousands. I understand that Deer when faced by a vehicle have a tendency to jump - on occaision leaping onto the windsceen. This can have fatal consequences for the driver.

Second, drivers when faced by Deer often swerve to avoid the animal, sometimes with implications for other vehicles. The advice if faced with the above situation is to run the animal over. Not nice, but but clearly better than causing a road traffic accident involving other road users. There are some people whose perceptions of deer being cute and cuddly creatures that do no harm? No doubt such individuals have "Bambi" in there top ten films of all time! Deer numbers are out of control in many parts of the uk as a result of natural checks on their numbers. The pragmatic response to this problem is by managed shooting. This already goes on in Scotland.

As for dealing with insurance companies, being asked whose fault the accident was, when still shook up from running a deer over, must rank as one of the most stupid questions ever asked? The insurance company did "punish me" by making me drive a Ford Ka for month while my vehicle was being repaired. The ford Ka must rank as one of the most uncomfortable motor vehicles ever made - although I suspect being over 6 foot might have something to with it! That said if there was one car I would not wish to hit a Deer whilst driving, it would be a Ford Ka!!

As for the consumption of Deer I am told the non native species make good eating, although I have not tried any myself yet! If anybody has a good source of the above please pm me.:cat::cat:

The insurance company did "punish me" by making me drive a Ford Ka for month while my vehicle was being repaired. The ford Ka must rank as one of the most uncomfortable motor vehicles ever made...

I'm sorry but I must disagree. Having experienced a total of 4 deer running out in front of me (that's just counting the ones I hit) I feel well-positioned to respond... on one occasion I also told the insurance company that it was the deer's fault and was punished with a small orange Daewoo (or something unpronouncable that was spelt a bit like that). A Ford Ka is positively luxurious in comparison, although the good thing about a Daewoo is that you'll never go fast enough in it to hit a deer, unless it's already dead.

Anyway, we digress from Norfolk birding which is what this thread is supposed to be about... anyone got any photos of this morning's probable Kumlien's or Thayer's Gull?

Hi all

Anyone got any photos of the Whitlingham Ferruginous? I saw it today whilst doing my (week-late) WeBS count and as I was trying to count the other ducks present I didn't give it the attention it deserved. However, to me the head shape didn't seem to ring quite true? Seemed too peaked on the forehead, and rather angular around the back of the head? This shows up on Justin's photo on http://yarevalleywildlife.synthasite.com/bird-photos-2012.php too?

On the other hand, other features looked good, including the wing bar in flight as it flew off to Thorpe broad (when relocated there it was much more distant unfortunately).

Definitely wouldn't claim to be an expert on Aythya hybrids, and I'm not saying it definitely isn't a pure bird. Would just be good to see some better pics if any are out there.

Cheers

Andy

What's that, deer ?

Report . . (on RBA) said probable juv Kumlien's or Thayer's on beach at 08:50 then flew passed the sea-watching shelter towards East Runton at 09:05

Thanks for the info, Phil. I know one of the best birding areas at West Runton has been trashed, but has the village itself now been obliterated by the pager services ? They have a lot to answer for !

A few winters past, I slid on black ice into an 18th century cannon. No, it wasn’t that far back- they didn’t have cars then. I was returning home, to meet the chap from the body repair company, who was to deliver my car to my abode, when a calf jumped out of a field and bounced off the bonnet of the Ka I had been loaned. I cannot recommend the experience of having a ½ ton of ‘moo’ fall out of the sky and land on the front of your car.

The expression on the face of the body-repair-chap, as I drove up, was more than a picture: utter disbelief at what ‘I’d’ done to his company’s limo. The damage came to over £4000, I later found out. When I rang the insurance company about this claim, the person on the other end of the ‘phone didn’t, at first, believe me, for some reason !

Killing a badger (my first, all too brief, view of a live one) cost me over £200- this happened, appropriately, near Holt. I would imagine a wild boar would cause even more damage than a non-native deer.

‘Flush the Snow Buntings’ seems to be the game of the moment at Salthouse Beach car park. Some very brown ones were present today; I couldn’t see the whitest one.

Redpolls, in varying darknesses of brown, continue to delight in Kelling. The ‘grey Arctic’ was present this afternoon, until disturbed by over-abrupt movement from an arriver.

Attachments

• 128pse.jpg
    128pse.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 164pse.jpg
    164pse.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 130

Users who are viewing this thread

Back