• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (96 Viewers)

Titchwell November 22nd

Today’s highlights

Waxwing – 1 west this morning
Snow bunting – 25 on beach
Great northern diver – 1 offshore
Slav grebe – 2 offshore
Red necked grebe – 1 offshore
Long tailed duck – 4 offshore
Scaup – 1 offshore
Goosander – 2 offshore
Hen harrier – 1 over saltmarsh
Shag – 1 offshore
Greenshank – 1 on fresh marsh
Med gull – 2 on fresh marsh

Paul

Great White Egret(s)

After trying unsuccessfully on several occasions to catch up with GWE around Horsey finally jammed in on one in the fields to the south east of Horsey Mill this morning. Despite hanging around for about an hour (me,not the bird) no sign of the second individual reported but there is a huge amount of habitat out there and even this one occasionally disappeared from view in the ditches and vegetation.

Mick

Attachments

• PGPhoto-004.jpg
    PGPhoto-004.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 131
Sacred Ibis

Today at Salthouse, right next to the road, in field at the side of Salthouse duckpond.
Unfortunatly someone tried to get even closer and sacred {anag} it away.
It seems to be settling in for the winter. Any thoughts on that.

Attachments

• Q600DB6565 (800x534).jpg
    Q600DB6565 (800x534).jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 79
Turdus furcata in Wells Woods ?

For those long-suffering aficionadi of poeticality, anxiously awaiting the next example of my œuvre in those literary realms, the link to my ditty on the savage application (literally) of the ‘jaws of death’ to the Swedish Cliff Swallow is here: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2595345&postcount=970

Wells Woods provided the venue for both my lunch and the majority of my day’s birding. A walk west towards Holkham nearly resulted in a heart attack, when I first glimpsed the thrush below, partially hidden by shrubbery. A forked tail ? ! On a bird this size ? White patches ? ! What the H-ll ? All soon became clear, when it emerged into plain view.

And, on the subject of Blackbirds, either Alkie ones, or ‘Blackbirds Behaving Badly’, this a real example of avian ‘binge-drinking’: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/20180091.

A female Blackcap and 2 Chiffchaffs comprised the warblers.

The highlight was the small flock of Lesser Redpolls, some individuals posing nicely in the strong sun. Just how strong can be seen by the sharpness of the shadow on the LH photo.

There was also evidence of a few furtive and surreptitious Bullfinches.

Any thoughts on that.

It’s a massively voracious invertebrate exterminator, Paul. Not your fault !

Attachments

• 383pse.jpg
    383pse.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 251pse.jpg
    251pse.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 118pse.jpg
    118pse.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 089pse.jpg
    089pse.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 072pse.jpg
    072pse.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 189
Anyone here not booked on the Norfolk pelagic for next summer apparently there are one or two places remaining.
ANDY

Seawatching in Norfolk can be compared to the local £5 chinese buffet. You think it is great the first couple of times you visit! Then you go to Chinatown and experience real chinese food:eat: Nothing wrong with the Local Chinese Buffet..just lacking a bit in the variety stakes when compared to the real deal;)

£110 is a bit on expensive side for a Chinese buffet.

Seawatching in Norfolk can be compared to the local £5 chinese buffet. You think it is great the first couple of times you visit! Then you go to Chinatown and experience real chinese food:eat: Nothing wrong with the Local Chinese Buffet..just lacking a bit in the variety stakes when compared to the real deal;)

Best comparison ever, Mark.

Today at Salthouse, right next to the road, in field at the side of Salthouse duckpond.
Unfortunatly someone tried to get even closer and sacred {anag} it away.
It seems to be settling in for the winter. Any thoughts on that.

Think we must have been there at the same time, unless there was more than one person that did this (Quite possible).

Picture attached and 2 of the SEO that flew from Kelling Quags and headed west past Gramborough Hill this afternoon at around 1:20pm.
I feel sorry for the woman that happened to be looking the other way when the owl flew right past her as it approached the hill.

Attachments

• IMG_8700_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8700_edited-1.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8743_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8743_edited-1.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8716_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8716_edited-1.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8720_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_8720_edited-1.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 146
Hunstanton Shags: 4 of the 5 birds whose darvics I managed to read on 5th November were ringed this year as chicks on the Isle of May, Fife whilst the other was ringed this year as a chick on Inchmickery, further westwards into the Firth of Forth.

But Mark with seawatching there is always something better just over the horizon. The key to watching is just focussing on the moment and never being bothered what is flying past Pendeen, Flamborough, Cley. True, Norfolk probably does not have the best seawatching in the country but I'm sure the folks in Cormwall get envious of the huge wildfowl passage, Little Auk no's, Skua passage, incoming migrants etc etc. On top of that of the light conditions and and cloud formations have been truly spectacular and on the North Coast you never have the problem of the position of the sun.

Of course if your so inclined to change your eyepiece while rare seabirds are flying past thus ending up with rubbish views ;) your memories aren't going to be that great :eek!:

But Mark with seawatching there is always something better just over the horizon. The key to watching is just focussing on the moment and never being bothered what is flying past Pendeen, Flamborough, Cley. True, Norfolk probably does not have the best seawatching in the country but I'm sure the folks in Cormwall get envious of the huge wildfowl passage, Little Auk no's, Skua passage, incoming migrants etc etc. On top of that of the light conditions and and cloud formations have been truly spectacular and on the North Coast you never have the problem of the position of the sun.

Of course if your so inclined to change your eyepiece while rare seabirds are flying past thus ending up with rubbish views ;) your memories aren't going to be that great :eek!:

Josh you clearly happy with lots of fried rice, noodles, prawn crackers and the occaisional king prawn. In respect of the king prawn u refer i have always concluded that you never saw enough to be sure it was not a duck filled pancakeo:). Anyway u managed to convince a panel of norfolk's finest that it was a king prawn after reading your guide sometime later;). By the way both king prawns amd duck pancakes were found in numbers off a seawatch off pendeen earlier in the year...and you could see them well.too;)

Josh you clearly happy with lots of fried rice, noodles, prawn crackers and the occaisional king prawn. In respect of the king prawn u refer i have always concluded that you never saw enough to be sure it was not a duck filled pancakeo:). Anyway u managed to convince a panel of norfolk's finest that it was a king prawn after reading your guide sometime later;). By the way both king prawns amd duck pancakes were found in numbers off a seawatch off pendeen earlier in the year...and you could see them well.too;)

I think your safe staying in the realm of Prawn Crackers Mark!

In seriousness Carls expedition is pioneering, a first for Norfolk and until there have been a few trips out no-one knows quite what he will come up with, as far as i know no-one has chummed off Norfolk and if he gets something like half a dozen Stormies (fortune cookies?) round the boat it will be a success. He also writes a fantastic blog and we should not knock tour guides who are trying to make a decent crust.

LOL Josh. Definately the land of prawn crackers and not king prawns;). Remember real king prawns are much less common than gannet fried rice;). One stormy is more likely Josh. Hope the trip is a success and am sure it will be sold out.

Last edited:
Norfolk Pelagic

I think your safe staying in the realm of Prawn Crackers Mark!

In seriousness Carls expedition is pioneering, a first for Norfolk and until there have been a few trips out no-one knows quite what he will come up with, as far as i know no-one has chummed off Norfolk and if he gets something like half a dozen Stormies (fortune cookies?) round the boat it will be a success. He also writes a fantastic blog and we should not knock tour guides who are trying to make a decent crust.

Spot on Josh - also the participants I'm sure have chosen to go and partake for a variety of reasons, such as getting out there and having a go rather than vegitate in front of a computer waiting for the next hit. Or perhaps enjoy a bit of good company, banter and as P/Skua suggests a chance of a good bird - who knows. I'm sure all on board will have a great experience and hopefully one or two memories.

(Real Chinese food, dreadful in all parts of China I visited except for "Western" style restaurants in Bejing['93 tour], best - Bayswater in West London).

Last edited:
Titchwell November 24th

Today’s highlights

Long tailed duck – 9 offshore
Red necked grebe – 1 offshore
Slav grebe – 1 offshore
Water pipit – 1 on fresh marsh
Goosander – 3 offshore
Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed
Yellow legged gull – adult on fresh marsh
Snow bunting – 47 on beach
Merlin – 1 on beach caught a snow bunting
Hen harrier – ringtail hunting over saltmarsh

Paul

Finnish was the start of my birding

chummed . . crust

These two words in close proximity have rendered me decidedly queasy, Josh.

I arrived at the Beach car park at Salthouse to be informed of a Black-headed Gull ringed in Finland. Julian B had skilfully and photographically circumnavigated it, managing to capture all the numbers, etc. We will learn where it was ‘handled’ in due course.

Wells Woods was quite lively, with the number of Lesser Redpolls having increased to around 30. There were at least 6 Bullfinches, more Treecreepers than yesterday, the female Blackcap and a Chiffchaff. Lunch was had east of the Quay, with this nice Grey Plover in attendance.

Back to Salthouse, and a Short-eared Owl tantalised, by perching on a post long enough not to be photographed- and then hastened away. I was informed that one of the Turnstones in the flock feeding in the car park had a Swedish ring.

I hope that more birds originating in Scandinavia can put in an appearance (preferably on someone’s berries); although, of course, most of these seem to have been devoured.

Then, the Shorelark appeared on the pager, as did birders who’d recently seen it, with accurate directions. It was indeed by the second pool (rather larger than a puddle) of standing water, on the track at the base of the shingle ridge, 200 yards east of Gramboro’. The light was rapidly failing and the rain had started.

Real Chinese food, dreadful in all parts of China I visited

Having worked next to London’s Chinatown for three years, lunching there most days, I’ve visited China only four times; Singapore, Vietnam and Indonesia once. I found Chinese food to be completely satisfying, and often and happily different from that on offer here. With, for example, thirty kinds of celery in the markets, there is constant variety- even on my limited diet. If you were to offer me the choice of any cuisine in the world, however, I would go for Vietnamese. Italian and Thai would be joint second.

As for Chinese buffets, I have found P. F. Chang’s restaurants in the US of A to be consistently excellent.

With yet another County bird info-site being organised, close on the interweb heels of that of the long-standing Cley Bird Club, it may well be that people who post on it will be NOGGIN’ the NOG !

No further comment.

Attachments

• 009pse.jpg
    009pse.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 081pse.jpg
    081pse.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 122pse.jpg
    122pse.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 245pse.jpg
    245pse.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
a
Spot on Josh - also the participants I'm sure have chosen to go and partake for a variety of reasons, such as getting out there and having a go rather than vegitate in front of a computer waiting for the next hit. Or perhaps enjoy a bit of good company, banter and as P/Skua suggests a chance of a good bird - who knows. I'm sure all on board will have a great experience and hopefully one or two memories.

(Real Chinese food, dreadful in all parts of China I visited except for "Western" style restaurants in Bejing['93 tour], best - Bayswater in West London).

Shared experiences on a fishing boat in the wash in strong north wind - seasickness could prove to be the lingering memory:-C

Mark, I have seen plenty of Cory's and Great Shears in the South West (not to mention stunning views of Great Shear and Fea's Petrel on the Scillonian pelagics) and agree that the experience is fantastic. However, these days I would get far more enjoyment from the slim possibility of finally connecting with one of these beauties in Norfolk!

I won't be on next years boat but if it is somewhat successful then I would definitely consider such a trip in the future. I am sure there are birds to be seen, even if they are only Stormies, but with records of large shears and even Wilson's Petrel in the North Sea, a trip out has got to be worth a shot!

You are entitled to your opinion and are free to spend your money as you please, but I see little point to most of your posts, while your use of smilies fails to mask your barbed words. I look forward to the day that you post something constructive on here or, better still, advertise when you will be at Sheringham so we can all benefit from a "seabird masterclass" as you effortlessly identify the various skuas etc that go past ;)

Chris

:clap::clap:
Mark, I have seen plenty of Cory's and Great Shears in the South West (not to mention stunning views of Great Shear and Fea's Petrel on the Scillonian pelagics) and agree that the experience is fantastic. However, these days I would get far more enjoyment from the slim possibility of finally connecting with one of these beauties in Norfolk!

I won't be on next years boat but if it is somewhat successful then I would definitely consider such a trip in the future. I am sure there are birds to be seen, even if they are only Stormies, but with records of large shears and even Wilson's Petrel in the North Sea, a trip out has got to be worth a shot!

You are entitled to your opinion and are free to spend your money as you please, but I see little point to most of your posts, while your use of smilies fails to mask your barbed words. I look forward to the day that you post something constructive on here or, better still, advertise when you will be at Sheringham so we can all benefit from a "seabird masterclass" as you effortlessly identify the various skuas etc that go past ;)

Chris

:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back